PDA

View Full Version : jag rear handbrake pads

clive a brown
27-03-08, 05:00 PM
Hi Guys, I'm sure this has happened to me before?- one of the pads has just dropped of the handbrake.

Has anybody got a fix?

Clive

TINKA
27-03-08, 05:04 PM
This is normally caused because they are not set up properly and one of the pads has been rubbing the disc slightly even when the hand brake has been released.

There is a spring fork type piece on top of the hand brake part, which should keep the pads from touching the disc. If this is not adjusted properly then they will rub, get very hot then a pad will fall off. HTH

clive a brown
27-03-08, 05:47 PM
Thanks for that - might be the cause

now what to do to fix it back on?

TINKA
27-03-08, 06:14 PM
Part number 9750 is the bit that I am on about it should hold both pads JUST clear of the disc when the hand brake has been released.

pat b
30-03-08, 08:05 PM
Mate of mine knows more about Jags than anyone i have ever met and claims it is a technical fact they are s*it and only last for 3 hand brake turns. PAT

slogger
30-03-08, 10:46 PM
The pads are only held in by a flat headed bolt that locates in the grove in the pad. If this bolt is not correctly located when tightened it is possible to shoot the pads out if you try and drive off with the hand brake applied firmly. A mate did it to mine. Also over heating upsets things as well as hand brake turns if you have big enough arms to get the wheels to lock.:D

wilf
31-03-08, 07:32 AM
Hand brake turns?

With a jag handbrake?

Ha

Haha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!

No reason at all why a properly set up jag handbrake cannot fulfill its primary functions (i.e. a brake applied at standstill to stop the car running away and to pass MOT) for year after year. Mine is proof.

Doing idiot stuff like handbrake turns with a jag handbrake will stuff it up very quickly.

clive a brown
01-04-08, 02:45 PM
The pads are only held in by a flat headed bolt that locates in the grove in the pad. If this bolt is not correctly located when tightened it is possible to shoot the pads out if you try and drive off with the hand brake applied firmly. A mate did it to mine. Also over heating upsets things as well as hand brake turns if you have big enough arms to get the wheels to lock.:D

Hand brake turns How Very Dare You!

last one of those was in my 1300cc ford anglia in 1968

the hand brake was on when I pushed it out of the garage and the pad just fell off, I know from bitter experience that the rear inboards get hot on track days - but I never use the handbrake then, but even so it has probably cooked the pad. now how to fix so it dosnt happen again - will look at some sort of better mechanical adhesion

Clive

wilf
01-04-08, 03:35 PM
Clive - I had exactly the same thing happen to me in teh early days, and as Tinka says, it is a matter of getting the handbrake pads to stay clear of the disc by bending the "fingers" of the part he mentions. Too far and you won't have enough handbrake movement to put the brake on, too close and they cook.

Also, you want to try to fit some good strong pull-off springs - working to hold the ends of the handbrakle calipers in the "off" position.

Miket
01-04-08, 03:41 PM
And leave the handbrake of when parked in the garage. ;) ;)

clive a brown
02-04-08, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts

yep dont use the dam thing

have rivited the pad back on and now to refit - changing the main brake pads and fluid at the same time . Ready for the summer tracking & draging

Cheers Clive