PDA

View Full Version : SVA : what a bloody day

Toddy
28-03-08, 06:31 PM
AM : absolutely pouring down(like it does in the Lake district not your Southern rain) and we have to get a sost top with no soft top onto a flat bed trailer.
Just going onto trailer front nearside wheel slips sideways off the ramp, luckily the car lands on front chassis rail but is now stuck.
What a bloody job lying in the wet trying to jack up the chassis to get the wheel back on the ramp, the ramp is of course jammed and is in the way of the jack.
Eventually get it sorted, NO damage but oh the language was something.

The clock is ticking we are soaked it is debatable whether we can get to the test centre, the car is full of water.

Tarpaulin on and away.

Test is at 13.00 we arrive at 12.50, wait at the wrong test place oh cars are round the corner at the other building !

All ready and with 2 minutes to go, still pouring down.

Meet the tester " I did tell you on the phone that it will probably fail, not many pass first time " Oh f...in great !!

Accepted Morso printout and letter from M Huddart as engine age evidence.

Had a great crack with him as we did our test, however it is with a slight pang of sadness that my car building days are over BECAUSE IT PASSED FIRST TIME, NOW IF YOU WANT TO SEE A CHEESY GRIN GET TO MY HOUSE:p:p:p

A bad day turned Oh so good

I thank you all

tarmacscratcher
28-03-08, 06:34 PM
AM : absolutely pouring down(like it does in the Lake district not your Southern rain) and we have to get a sost top with no soft top onto a flat bed trailer.
Just going onto trailer front nearside wheel slips sideways off the ramp, luckily the car lands on front chassis rail but is now stuck.
What a bloody job lying in the wet trying to jack up the chassis to get the wheel back on the ramp, the ramp is of course jammed and is in the way of the jack.
Eventually get it sorted, NO damage but oh the language was something.

The clock is ticking we are soaked it is debatable whether we can get to the test centre, the car is full of water.

Tarpaulin on and away.

Test is at 13.00 we arrive at 12.50, wait at the wrong test place oh cars are round the corner at the other building !

All ready and with 2 minutes to go, still pouring down.

Meet the tester " I did tell you on the phone that it will probably fail, not many pass first time " Oh f...in great !!

Accepted Morso printout and letter from M Huddart as engine age evidence.

Had a great crack with him as we did our test, however it is with a slight pang of sadness that my car building days are over BECAUSE IT PASSED FIRST TIME, NOW IF YOU WANT TO SEE A CHEESY GRIN GET TO MY HOUSE:p:p:p

I thank you all

I love a happy ending :)...well done mate.

TINKA
28-03-08, 06:34 PM
Congratulations :mrgreen: :mrgreen: now just to get it registered and you will be away:D

stevem
28-03-08, 06:35 PM
Well done mate . Join the club, great feeling when he hands over the MAC....

Miket
28-03-08, 06:45 PM
Well done Toddy and Steve, good result. :D :D :D :D

kayjayd
28-03-08, 06:50 PM
Bloody well done, great feeling isn't it? Where was your test?

MarkyC
28-03-08, 06:52 PM
Well done mate.
I can't believe how quick you've built it and got it passed, you must be well chuffed.

Mark.

Toddy
28-03-08, 07:00 PM
Tested at Carlisle, I nearly shuck the guys hand off when he handed over the MAC , he even did a copy for me.
Tried to register it but they wouldnt look at it untill they have had time to go through all the paperwork, seemed odd that I had the car out side and will now have to trail it all the way back, couldnt be bothered arguing as it was getting late, and I didnt care:):):)

dave
28-03-08, 07:11 PM
Well done Dave.
Not quite a record though for an amateur build. Mike Clark built is Dax in 11 weeks.
No cigar this time.;):D

Toddy
28-03-08, 07:18 PM
Next time Dave, Next time;);)

Daxman
28-03-08, 07:28 PM
Fantastic news mate, thanks for the photo,

Russ

wilf
28-03-08, 07:51 PM
Of course, "southern rain" does not make you wet, does it?

Well done anyway, bloody northener. :mrgreen:

stu e
28-03-08, 07:59 PM
[quote=wilf;235683]Of course, "southern rain" does not make you wet, does it?

Did me this morning:(.

PS well done .

Stu.

rocketmut
28-03-08, 08:05 PM
Very well done Toddy, impessive build in every respect.:-D
And of course the mandatory quote " Enjoy the shit out of it & be careful".;)

Purple AK
28-03-08, 08:11 PM
Well Done Toddy :cool: Told you not to worry didn't I :-D

Toddy
28-03-08, 08:48 PM
Hey Wilf when you say Northerner are you including the guys from down south in Manchester or just real Northerners ;);););)

Dutch Paul
28-03-08, 08:51 PM
Well done Toddy. At least the panic is over now. :D

ned21
28-03-08, 08:59 PM
Well Done M8, Congratulations (hope to have the same in the near furture)

Den

runt
28-03-08, 09:06 PM
Hi Toddy, sounds like you had quite a day, many talented people on here, including you by the sound of it, congrats and enjoy that car!

Paul/runt.:)

craggle
28-03-08, 09:55 PM
Good result Toddy:mrgreen::mrgreen:

All the best cars pass first time.;):eek:

Craig.

andicole0
28-03-08, 10:05 PM
Congratulations Toddy, it was raining down here in the south too so I didn't venture into the garage today :-D

Andi.

craggle
28-03-08, 10:13 PM
Raining!

I had to take a trip to sevenoaks today and it was absolutely P**sing down all the way there and back.
Not much fun really. I decided to take the A25 route rather than the M25. Don't like all the spray and stupid drivers on motorways in the rain.

Craig.

slogger
28-03-08, 11:02 PM
Bloody brilliant Toddy! Well done and enjoy!:D

As for Southern rain, it was hammering it down here.

dolphinboy400
29-03-08, 12:04 AM
outstanding job toddy, well done. Now stit back and have a few beers :D

Toddy
29-03-08, 12:14 AM
Thanx everyone.
Andi you need to get your finger out ;);)

dave
29-03-08, 12:46 AM
Thanx everyone.

Toddy.
You'll have to edit your forum status from "Club Supporter" to "Made Man":D

robert
29-03-08, 12:59 AM

I thank you all

Excellent news, WELL DONE. :D:D

ldtopham
29-03-08, 08:24 AM
Well done Toddy! I remember the drive back from the test station, great feeling isn't it!

alfiebeard
29-03-08, 10:00 AM
Well done Toddy,
I had a good day on Thursday but it started out crap at Carlisle DVLA on Tuesday,I had sent in the documents to remove the cherished plate from my EX Sumo and guess what,Bloody Carlisle DVLA decided they would have to inspect the car,so I made an appointment and told my mate Steve to get the car down to the DVLA office for the inspection,The young sternfaced girl:rolleyes:, strode out and said that they wer,nt happy that the chassis numbers were affixed to a plate on the chassis,and the chassis should be stamped,I said to her Ok I will take it to a mates garage and stick it on a ramp and find the numbers and get it back within the hour, she said OOH you will have re book another inspection,I though shit another bloody two hrs off work (i work for myself),so off we went and finally located the stamped numbers underneath the front offside chassis leg, I booked the car back in and on thursday went back for the second inspection,this time a younger fat girl strode out and I told her where the stamped numbers were and she said,Ohh I am not allowed to bend down underneath a vehicle to locate chassis numbers,I could have swung for her,then after a bit of persuading she said I will get my manager, Out strode a young fit looking girl , but while we had been waiting we jacked the car up for her so she could get a better view,so good old Steve tells her she looks good in her hi vis vest,and offers her a blast in the Cob:rolleyes: then he proceeds to lay down the brand new Tonnaeu cover on the wet gravel for her to lay on. guess what she lay down on it and crawled right under the car and shouted out to the other girl the numbers,and said no problem your documents will be with you Saturday,and they arrived safely this morning.What I dont understand is that this car has been on the road and registered since 2000 so why suddenly do they need to see the chassis numbers(which were virtually invisible until cleaned).
The moral of the story is look at the chassis and make sure the numbers are well stamped and clearly visible,she explained that if they could,nt locate the numbers they would keep my number and issue the car with a Q.
anyway well done mate and steer clear of ugly vehicle inspectors.
Alfie B:-D

Toddy
29-03-08, 04:03 PM
Alfie, I thought you might have popped round ;)
I also work for myself that is why I tried to get them to look at car while in Carlisle, what a job getting the trailer into there on a Friday afternoon:(
Anyway I shall await the summons hopefully from the fit one:):):)

andicole0
29-03-08, 05:02 PM
Thanx everyone.

Yes, yes, I'm re-invigerated now, rear loom is in, cockpit loom and engine loom have been laid out on the car, just need to punch a hole for the two to connect add a few P-clips and it will be ready for some connections.

Don't tell Dave but this would have been near impossible with the engine in in :p He still hasn't offered me any replacement spark plugs for the ones I broke when I dropped it. Having said that he did give me a list of what to do before the engne goes back in.

Anyway well done, both of you, with the SVA.

Andi.

shadow
29-03-08, 07:17 PM
Great news, And after all you went through! Just in time for the sun to dry it out. :cool: Congrats.

Toddy, if you don't get the fit one, throw a couple of pies under the car, that should work! :twisted:

alfiebeard
29-03-08, 08:28 PM
Alfie, I thought you might have popped round ;)
I also work for myself that is why I tried to get them to look at car while in Carlisle, what a job getting the trailer into there on a Friday afternoon:(
Anyway I shall await the summons hopefully from the fit one:):):)

Hi Toddy
I would have popped round and had a butchers at your car,but with all the messing around I just wanted to get back to work:(,I will catch up with you sometime.:-D
Regards
Alfie B

alfiebeard
29-03-08, 08:31 PM
[quote=shadow;235838]Great news, And after all you went through! Just in time for the sun to dry it out. :cool: Congrats.

Toddy, if you don't get the fit one, throw a couple of pies under the car, that should work! :twisted:[/quote

Ha Ha nice one, looking at the size of her you would need a couple of dozen.:mrgreen:

Alfie B