PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension too soft on Pilgrim Sumo MkII

skiprat
31-03-08, 10:56 AM
Hi,

I recently bought a MkII Pilgrim and following a trip to wales over the weekend, I suspect the front suspension (Cortina) is too soft. I've read that the original build used 80% rated springs, but I'm not 100% sure if that's the case. The tyres are catching on the outer arches when going over sever bumps, or under heavy braking.
Solutions I have looked at are winding up the spax dampers (done with no improvemet) adding spring assistors (can't find any with a 12mm spring to spring gap) or adding new uprated springs.
Has anyone come accross this problem in the past, and if so, what's the best solution to oversome it?

Simon

stu e
31-03-08, 06:26 PM
Hi Simon

When I built my MK2 Sumo, you had a selection of front springs to choose from, and it depended on what engine you had. Is it possible someone has fitted a heavier engine, gone from a Pinto to a Cologne?
Is it possible you have the wrong offset front wheels on? Have you any pics? I know the manual gives the wrong info on this as I have a set of Halibrand replicas, that stick out too far front and back and would rub all four arches.

skiprat
01-04-08, 09:41 AM
Hi, from what I believe, the front springs are the softer Cortina springs. I spoke to Pilgrim yesterday who suggested that the early MKII kits had 220lb springs and suggested I change to the later mods for this kit which are either 280 lb or 300lb 11.5" long rather than the 12.5" which are on now. However he said he had none in stock and was unable to suggest a manufacturer of this type of spring. I would imagine this is the better route to take rather than coil overs due to the re-inforcements required.
If anyone knows of a manufacturer of cortina springs, it would be a great help.
Thanks
Simon

aksportscars
01-04-08, 11:29 AM
Try tony at South Yorkshire Springs, he will make anything.

Lynda

aksportscars
01-04-08, 11:30 AM
Forgot the phone number : Tony 01709 375375

skiprat
01-04-08, 11:38 AM
Cheers Lynda - message left on answerphone for Tony to get back to me
Si