PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft Angles?

Antony
02-04-08, 10:27 AM
Setting up my engine transmission to try and have the driveshaft parrallal with the differential pinion, and I have approx a downwards driveshaft angle of 6 degrees and probably 3-4 degrees laterally! The driveshaft will be almost 20" longs and I am using 1350 UJ's which are about the largest strongest car universals!

I am thinking this is quite a bit of angle over a short length and with the HP I have it may be a problem, but I have been told that angling the engine etc isnt a good idea, as it creates sort of a loop in the universal travel................?

Noel
02-04-08, 10:40 AM
Hi Anthony,

Nip out quick and try and get a copy of the last LandRover Owner magazine. It has a big article on setting up prop shafts and the implications of angles etc.

dingocooke
02-04-08, 11:06 AM
I would say youll be ok Anthony; Ive always been told that you actually need some angle to ensure the uj bearings revolve a little and spread the wear/load, when you think about the quite extreme movements a live axle's uj's go through (especially the revolving action when the diff is mounted to an old school leaf spring set up) the small angular displacement of a fixed IRS diff to gearbox is nothing; imagine what the uj's in racing Mustangs and Corvettes went through!!
Only my opinion, but I think you'll be fine.

Noel
02-04-08, 11:25 AM
I would say youll be ok Anthony; Ive always been told that you actually need some angle to ensure the uj bearings revolve a little and spread the wear/load, when you think about the quite extreme movements a live axle's uj's go through (especially the revolving action when the diff is mounted to an old school leaf spring set up) the small angular displacement of a fixed IRS diff to gearbox is nothing; imagine what the uj's in racing Mustangs and Corvettes went through!!
Only my opinion, but I think you'll be fine.

You've just described a LandRover ;) :D

Sidecarbod
02-04-08, 12:51 PM
You've just described a LandRover ;) :D

Or even a Sumo diff :p

Noel
02-04-08, 01:54 PM
Or even a Sumo diff :p

Ahh....but my diff no longer moves at all now thanks to you ;) :cool:

Antony
03-04-08, 04:53 PM
Thanks, I have now seen a few interesting articles on the Net re 4x4 etc, and something I maybe able to do is angle the engine below level at the transmission output, and rotate the IRS up at the pinion so the flange is the equal angle, that way the angles of the components will still be parrallel....does that make sense?