PDA

View Full Version : rv python

Keith Logan
04-04-08, 07:44 PM
Hi I am new to this and I guess this has been discussed before, but I am in the position of owning an E34 530i manual bmw, and just love the cobra. I see that RV Dynamics do a kit that uses my car as a doner, but it has had mixed press. the reviews I have read recently seem good, and I was wondering if anyone in the club has any words of wisdom on the subject that come from experience rather than just the magazine coverage from the last few years. Is, or has anyone built one of these cars, and are they still available to anyones knowledge?:confused:

CeeJay
04-04-08, 07:53 PM
I'm surprised Den hasn't jumped on this post... ;>

If you have a look in the archive (Just stick in 'RV Python' into the search function above), then you will find many past threads on the subject.

As for wether they're still made seems to be a point of some doubt - last I heard the company in Sri Lanka had gone bust?

I think there is/was one member on the club with one?

No doubt those members who are better informed will be able to assist!

CeeJay.

Sidecarbod
04-04-08, 08:01 PM
In my opinion for what its worth its just toooooooooo dodgy buying a kit from 1000 miles away that hardly anyone has built over here that also as had very mixed reviews.

I would not use the fact that you have already have a donnor car force your decison, after all you can buy an old sierra for peanuts. (You would need an engine though)

My Dad use to laugh at me when I was a kid, I'd find a spark plug and want to build an engine round it!

Pete

wilf
04-04-08, 08:36 PM
Who are you Mr Logan?

robert
04-04-08, 08:38 PM
Who are you Mr Logan?

He is a UK user, the other user registered as Mark Logan is just a coincidence. ;)

wilf
04-04-08, 08:51 PM
Few coincidences where RV Pythons have been concerned to date, but thanks for the info Rob.

Keith Logan
04-04-08, 09:13 PM
Hi again,

I have just been looking at the previous threads, and was hoping to not get into any of the previous debate as it seemed to go off the point. All I am after is info re the kit, and its quality from people who have dealt with the suppliers, and have hands on experience of building one. I just thought that would be a more impartial view of the reality and viability of stripping my car or not. There are lots of things that attract me other than it being based on a car I happen to own as a potentiol doner, but sidecarbod has given good advice re this. I dont know who Mark Logan is or why Wilf seems perhaps a little suspicious and abrupt? I dont want to get off on the wrong foot as I see from previous threads the potential for accusations to fly and spoil what I intended to be a straightforward question. I have put in my real name so am not hiding anything, have no contact with either side in the past goings on, or the manufacturer. I live and work in Blackpool in the local health service as a therapist so am far removed from the motor trade. If you want to know anything else please just ask! All I ask is for sound impartial knowledgable advice please, Not a repeat of anything that has been said already. Thanks. Keith.

Purple AK
04-04-08, 09:27 PM
Hi Keith. And Welcome.I'm sorry but some of the confusion was caused by me! We tend to go on the back foot when a newbie comes along asking pertinant questions that may result in a slanging match.I believe the Python is now produced by someone here in the UK. The best I can offer is a look though Home - Steve Says (http://www.totalkitcar.com/home.php) "UK Section" and see if it turns up.

wilf
04-04-08, 09:27 PM
Keith - you are a victim of coincidence as far as the "other" Mr Logan is concerned.

After all the cr*p that has flown around here on the subject of Pythons, you must forgive us our suspicions.

Thanks for your intro, welcome, and I hope you find the answers you seek........

dolphinboy400
04-04-08, 10:00 PM
isnt the south african kit based on an E34 bmw ?

Big Thirsty
05-04-08, 09:34 AM
Hello Keith,

I have an engine customer who is building a Python and is at the stage of completing his rolling chasis, with a 350 Chevy and TKO500 gearbox fitted. From my conversations with him, he does not seem to have had any major problems with the supply or the build and when I last saw him, he had fitted the BMW anti lock system and seemed to be making a nice job of the whole project.

If you are interested in contacting him directly for his own opinion, i would be happy to assist.

stevee8
06-04-08, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the forum Keith.
Parallel Designs recently completed a Python build and seem to be contemplating its inclusion in their portfolio of cars.
Parallel Designs: Built by hand; driven with soul (http://www.paralleldesigns.co.uk/indexframe.html)

Mods were thought to be required but it might be worth a chat to them in addition to any other feedback from members. Naz is the man to speak to.

Keith Logan
10-04-08, 08:55 PM
Hi Folks just got back on to catch up on this. Thanks for your welcomes and sorry if I caused any worries over past issues. I have read the articles re the Parralel Designs buils and have e-mailed them twice but not had a reply. If I get chance I will try to ring them.

Keith Logan
10-04-08, 08:59 PM
Hi Ian , and contact would be greatfully recieved, if the gent you know would be happy to talk I would be pleased to contact him. I did e-mail RV to ask if they could give me some customer contact so I could speak to them for their views, but they have not replied. Many thanks.

Keith

Keith Logan
10-04-08, 09:05 PM
Hi Chris, thanks for the info I will follow it up. The last thing I want is to start a slanging match between anybody, or reignite old ones.

Keith Logan
10-04-08, 09:10 PM
Hi Wilf, thanks for your good wishes, I see the issues around the car have had a far reaching effect. I realy dont want to go there, but to see if the kit stands on its own merits is all. However customer service is also a major factor.

Big Thirsty
10-04-08, 09:33 PM
Hi Ian , and contact would be greatfully recieved, if the gent you know would be happy to talk I would be pleased to contact him. I did e-mail RV to ask if they could give me some customer contact so I could speak to them for their views, but they have not replied. Many thanks.

Keith

Hello Keith,

Send me a private message with your contact number and I will pass on for you. alternatively, send me an e-mail on ian@ukusaengines.co.uk

Keith Logan
22-04-08, 06:36 PM
For anyone interested, Vince has been in touch after I e-mailed him, and he seems a helpful genuine poerson. I have had some e-mails from some of the people who are building pythons, one quite close to me, so I hope to arrange to go and have a look at it soon.

Keith

Keith Logan
22-05-08, 09:54 PM
Hello Keith,

I have an engine customer who is building a Python and is at the stage of completing his rolling chasis, with a 350 Chevy and TKO500 gearbox fitted. From my conversations with him, he does not seem to have had any major problems with the supply or the build and when I last saw him, he had fitted the BMW anti lock system and seemed to be making a nice job of the whole project.

If you are interested in contacting him directly for his own opinion, i would be happy to assist.
Hi Ian,
Just to let you know I have had some very open and encourajing contact from vince and some of the people building a python, There is one close to my neck of the woods so I hope to go to see it soon.
I did send you several e-mails for your contacts numberr but dont know if you got them. There have been no posts on my thread for a while so it looks like it may not be being viewed. At least I have had some useful contact from some members for which I am grateful.

Regards

Keith

jasper
14-08-08, 08:09 PM
Keith

This may be to late for your decision, i am building the rv dynamics python using an e34 530i V8 manual. I have not had any major problems with it, in fact i am finding the chassis and BMW parts a great combination. I'm up to rolling chassis. The BMW V8 is relativley new, however it has been fitted and it is used in non cobra kits , so there is plenty of support. I'm looking forward to a smooth 220 Bhp and enjoying the driving.

Parallel designs are also building and distributing the same chassis and body I have no problems with parts.

The hard top RV dynamics have is excellent i'm seriously considering it when I've finished building and its on the road.

Any , if you do venture this way be prepared there are some members of this forum who get quite abusive about this kit, just ignore them , focus on the future. the majority are very helpfull fellow Cobra fans unbiased to whatever you choose.

Alan

Keith Logan
18-08-08, 06:37 PM
Keith

This may be to late for your decision, i am building the rv dynamics python using an e34 530i V8 manual. I have not had any major problems with it, in fact i am finding the chassis and BMW parts a great combination. I'm up to rolling chassis. The BMW V8 is relativley new, however it has been fitted and it is used in non cobra kits , so there is plenty of support. I'm looking forward to a smooth 220 Bhp and enjoying the driving.

Parallel designs are also building and distributing the same chassis and body I have no problems with parts.

The hard top RV dynamics have is excellent i'm seriously considering it when I've finished building and its on the road.

Any , if you do venture this way be prepared there are some members of this forum who get quite abusive about this kit, just ignore them , focus on the future. the majority are very helpfull fellow Cobra fans unbiased to whatever you choose.

Alan

Thanks Alan.

I am still keen on the python as a kit build, but have not had the chance to see one yet. Vince has sent me a lot of pics and info including the build manual which is very comprehensive and well put together. a good indication of his attention to detail I think.

I dont know where you are based but would be very interested in any info you have as my e34 is the same engine and manual box, or if you are within striking distance of Cleveleys Lancashire I would not mind a look.

My e-mail is thomas.k.logan@btinternet.com if you want to e-mail direct.

Keith

Z5Roadster
05-11-08, 10:02 PM
Hi guys
I went down this route got sucked in with loads of info photos and the like but found at the time that a V8 E34 engine had never been fitted to the chassis, I drove 200 miles to check out a build using their chassis and the M60 motor. Poor chap had made an outstanding job up to the point of positioning the engine, disaster the rear exhaust ports were about 3/4" away from top rail, the steering box could not be accessed for the linkage and the engine mount positions were no where near. Without cutting and welding my build was going nowhere, why buy a galvanised chassis and then cut and weld it?

I abandoned my idea of building a BMW based cobra 12 months ago after having contact with the suppliers for 2 Ĺ yrs prior to that.

I do now know that the chassis has been modified and supplied to India in small Nos. to take the M60 lump, but I canít forget that all thru my dealings with the supplier I was told that there was not a problem.

In my garden there is a 6x4 shed full of E34 donor parts and one day I may return to my build, but not until I can roll my own aluminium body.

Currently my toy is a 4lt TVR which isnít that far from a kitcar and it does keep the dream alive.

Best wishes and good luck from North Devon

vince RVD
12-11-08, 05:12 AM
Hi guys

I do now know that the chassis has been modified and supplied to India in small Nos. to take the M60 lump, but I canít forget that all thru my dealings with the supplier I was told that there was not a problem.

Hi Tom the chassis is the very same one you see of mike's made in the same jig totally standard and the only thing different is that the engine was fitted in the right place ! unlike Mike's car (you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink!) he fitted the engine "where he thought it should be" not on the mounts it should have been on! now he is planing to move it into the right place, and asking me to supply him the parts he needs,
there is definitely no problem fitting the M60 or M62 engine into a Python or a PD 427
there are 2 more M60's now on the way to India and one M3 E46 engine and 6speed box that will also be fitted.

Vince

Z5Roadster
15-11-08, 05:19 PM
Be careful what we write.

Hi ya Vince, Trusting you and your new family are well.

IMO something is different or added to the M60 chassis before galvanising. Correct me if Iím wrong, but I will not reply. Nobody likes being locked out.

Regarding Mikeís build, IMO no one told him the standard drag link had to be modified, he bolted it to the crossbeam and positioned the engine as far forward as possible, hence the problem of not being able to access the rear ports.

May I suggest Vince you use this as a springboard and tell us how many finished projects are on the road worldwide, how many kits are sold to date and anything else positive, but remember you canít promote your product here.
I'll take the credit for you wrapping the rear window around the bootlid on the hardtop.

Have a good Exeter WestPoint, I wonít be going this year

Regards Tom