PDA

View Full Version : cobra sumo mk 2

yellowlotus1
04-04-08, 08:36 PM
hi there. am new to site but could do with some advice on mk2 sumo. have recently bought a mk 2 sumo with 2.0 litre engine in it, and i think a ford cortina rear axle and running gear. and i would like to fit a v8 engine in it. so i rang pilgrim today an they said this can't be done with this chassis. is this right and if not how would i do it?

john cohen
04-04-08, 08:45 PM
Hi Yellowlotus Welcome to the fold . I would listen to what tony at pilgrim says m8 after all he makes them .

John

Purple AK
04-04-08, 08:49 PM
Hi Yellow. (do you have another name?) If it is a mk2 it would probably have Mk2 Granada running gear. ( independant rear end as opposed to live axle if it is Cortina) Either way several people have fitted Rover V8's successfully as the Rover is actually lighter than a Pinto. Someone will no doubt be along shortly who can help you more.

yellowlotus1
04-04-08, 08:59 PM
hi thanks for advice guys, think i spoke to mike at pilgrim, but think he was a salesman. rear axle is not independant so am guessing it is a cortina rear axle. does the granada rear end fix easily to chassis? and what size engine could i fit to this?

stuart

Miket
04-04-08, 09:09 PM
hi thanks for advice guys, think i spoke to mike at pilgrim, but think he was a salesman. rear axle is not independant so am guessing it is a cortina rear axle. does the granada rear end fix easily to chassis? and what size engine could i fit to this?

stuart

As Chris said, you should be ok with a standard Rover SD1 V8. ;) ;)

Can't help with your rear end :twisted: some of the other Sumo owners will probably help, or better still the Viper guys. ;)

Sidecarbod
04-04-08, 09:11 PM

Cheapest RV8 is the 3.5, a duffer can be bought for peanuts but it would then need a few quid spent on it before it was worth fitting. The normal stuff that wears out is the cams, followers, rockers, and rocker shafts, and the usual bearings, big end, mains etc.

A 3.5 that has had some mild work such as a cam, manifold, 500 carb would knock out roughly 185 BHP.

Prices go up along with the capacity.

If you don't want to get too dirty then Jim of JRV8 or BAE can supply a turn key lump along with the bell housing and gearbox at a very good price.

My opinion for what its worth is that what ever it costs it will be worth it as the value of car car will go up virtually the same amount as the cost of conversion. (Plus the V8 sounds great!)

Pete

dinosoar
05-04-08, 06:38 AM
Hi,

I fitted a Rover V8 to a customers Mk2 last year.

I can say that it won't fit without some chassis modification and then it is a bit tight.
The Rover gearbox will fit in the transmission tunnel but the front crossbrace has to be removed and replaced with an x bar.

Not impossible but some basic fabrication and welding involved.

Andy

stu e
05-04-08, 07:29 AM
Hi Stuart

The reason Pilgrim don't recommend fitting an RV8 to a Cortina based car is, how the rear axle mounts to the chassis. However several Viper and Sumo owners have done so without any problems, I guess Pilgrim are covering themselves by saying it wasn't designed for a V8. They were very helpful when I converted my MK2 Granada based Sumo from a V6 to a V8 as the main differences were engine mounts and pedal box assembly.
It took me longer and cost more than I expected, but was worth it the first time it was started and had that V8 sound:mrgreen:.
Regards Stu.

stu e
05-04-08, 07:46 AM
You will also have to alter the engine / gearbox mounts, the cooling system, the exhaust, steering shaft, pedal box, the rev counter, the speedo drive, the engine electrics, clutch mechanism.
When I changed mine I fitted a Sierra pedal box ( Pilgrim make a bracket to give the correct angle) and had a hydraulic conversion done to it. We also had to move where the steering colomn goes through the bulkhead, so as not to foul the exhaust. One of the many errors we made was to fit the engine without the oil filter fitted and ended up having to fit a remote one.
To change to a different back axle would be a lot of work, the floors are different in a MK2 Cortina based car and a Granada one, to allow for the whole rear subframe.
Stu.