PDA

View Full Version : Using kit car to build a Cobra

mike80
06-04-08, 11:56 PM
Hi all,

I am at the beginning of a long journey :-).
I decided to buid a Cobra replica together with a friend of mine who's an experienced engineer. The thing is that he never build a Cobra before. He only worked on many comercial cars (assemble - disassemble) and he is doing a great job.
Anyway, to get to the point...I made some research and...giving our lack of experience in the Cobra phenomenon :-), it's obvious that our only chance to build a Cobra is by using a Cobra kit car. Now, there are several kit producers that I found on the market, like: Factory Five, LoneStar, etc. I know many of you are very experienced in building Cobras and maybe many of you have used a kit car to build the Cobra, so I want to ask your professional opinion: Is it a good and reliable option to use a kit in order to build a Cobra? And if yes, which producer you know is best to order from (from quality, reliability, professionalism and support pov)?

I would really appreciate any advise in this matter and be very thankful !

Thanks,
Mike

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif

mike80
07-04-08, 12:06 AM
Hi all,

I am at the beginning of a long journey :smile:.
I decided to buid a Cobra replica together with a friend of mine who's an experienced engineer. The thing is that he never build a Cobra before. He only worked on many comercial cars (assemble - disassemble) and he is doing a great job.
Anyway, to get to the point...I made some research and...giving our lack of experience in the Cobra phenomenon :smile:, it's obvious that our only chance to build a Cobra is by using a Cobra kit car. Now, there are several kit producers that I found on the market, like: Factory Five, LoneStar, etc. I know many of you are very experienced in building Cobras and maybe many of you have used a kit car to build the Cobra, so I want to ask your professional opinion: Is it a good and reliable option to use a kit in order to build a Cobra? And if yes, which producer you know is best to order from (from quality, reliability, professionalism and support pov)?

I would really appreciate any advise (even a short one) in this matter and be very thankful !

Thanks,
Mike

Clive
07-04-08, 12:14 AM
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum,
You don't indicate where you are, but my advice would be to go the National Kit Car Show at Stoneleigh at the beginning of May. All the kit manufacturers will be there along with a huge number of Cobra owners with their cars. This will give you an opportunity to see and compare the various kits on the market and the different quality etc.
As far as building a Cobra is concerned, I suggerst that a kit is the only way to go, and as far as asking here which is the best, it's the $64,000 question! There are so many variables such as 289 or 427, budget, do I want a lookalike or a replica, which engine will I choose and on and on.
You can budget from under 10,000 to over 70,000!
Good luck and good hunting, it will be the best thing you've ever done!
;)

TINKA
07-04-08, 12:18 AM
Firstly welcome to the Club. :D

As to your question you will find we all bought kits to build our cars from. There are very few people with the skill to make their own body, although fabricating a chassis is not beyond the ability of quite a few on here.

Just one more thing where abouts are you based.

TINKA
07-04-08, 12:19 AM
Firstly welcome to the Club. :D

As to your question you will find we all bought kits to build our cars from. There are very few people with the skill to make their own body, although fabricating a chassis is not beyond the ability of quite a few on here.

Just one more thing where abouts are you based.

mike80
07-04-08, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the welcome ;-) !

Well, I'm from Romania ( Dracula's country :-)) ) and I think I'm the only Romanian having this crazy ideea :D

pat b
07-04-08, 12:46 AM
Cant believe the silence , know one went to the pub tonight or had a drink at home. Let me finish this bottle and I will come back to this. PAT:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::t wisted:

TINKA
07-04-08, 12:55 AM

Well, I'm from Romania ( Dracula's country :-)) ) and I think I'm the only Romanian having this crazy ideea :D

Most of the major kit manufacturers will be able to produce a Left hand drive kit for you. The main players are AK, Crendon, Dax, GD ,and Pilgrim. Try giving them a call to see if any of them can supply what you are after.

mike80
07-04-08, 02:14 AM
You don't indicate where you are, but my advice would be to go the National Kit Car Show at Stoneleigh at the beginning of May. All the kit manufacturers will be there along with a huge number of Cobra owners with their cars. This will give you an opportunity to see and compare the various kits on the market and the different quality etc.
As far as building a Cobra is concerned, I suggerst that a kit is the only way to go, and as far as asking here which is the best, it's the $64,000 question! There are so many variables such as 289 or 427, budget, do I want a lookalike or a replica, which engine will I choose and on and on.
;)

;)

I see...
It's obvious that I need to start a long long research.
The first basic ideeas are :
- build a replica (I don't want a mirror copy of the original since it would cost a lot I presume) - I have to decide between fiber glass and aluminium body, etc.;
- I don't want to put it on a track, I just want to use it on the roads;
- engine: now this is a challange...I might go for a new one and ready to be deployed since we don't have the expertize to assemble it piece by piece, have over 300 hp and good torque :). I really want to go for a carburated engine (for the sound :D). But there are so many other variables...
- suspensions: also many options available...use one of the top brands and should accomodate Romanian roads (which are quite bad :-( unfortunately), so most likely I will go for an independent rear suspension system, but as I know this is harder to accomodate in the chassis;
- I don't want to exceed 35k $ for this project and I want to make it in timely steps (due to budget and know-how constrains). I want to finish it in maximum two years.
Seems like I will need good project management :)

I know...It's like I'm saying: "I want to build a car so I need 4 wheels a frame, an engine and a body" but...I have to start from somewhere, so fist I wanted to know which are the most professional kit car producers who can also provide strong guidance and support so I can ease my pain :D.

Thanks for the initiation ;-)

Mike

mike80
07-04-08, 02:25 AM
Most of the major kit manufacturers will be able to produce a Left hand drive kit for you. The main players are AK, Crendon, Dax, GD ,and Pilgrim. Try giving them a call to see if any of them can supply what you are after.
Thanks for your feedbcak Tinka. For sure I will give them a call.
I will have many discussions with them :D.

Cheers,
Mike

kitcarcollection
30-07-08, 10:20 PM

buna ziua , ce mai faci!!

Nice country romania, I was at dracula's castle Bran.
I got family and business partners in romania and in holland we have the largest kitcarcompany of the continent and are dealer for GD and other kits. I could support you with making a choice and I speak romanian too but it seems youre doing well in english so probably that will be the best to communicate. I would also be interested in the romanian approval for kitcars as there is an upcoming market over there too as I had many requests from there to register the cars and transport to romania.

steamyrotter
03-08-08, 02:08 PM
As to your question you will find we all bought kits to build our cars from.

Apart from Viper owners!
:rolleyes:

wilf
03-08-08, 03:53 PM
Cobra suspension is not well suited to bad roads. Pretty much all the kits I know of have short suspension travel and quite stiff suspension - it is a sports car after all. Plus, of course, low ground clearance.

To try to point you in the right direction, could give us an idea of the budget you have to spend on this dream?