PDA

View Full Version : SVA On Wednesday

nearly thers
07-04-08, 02:35 PM
So the big day of joy and expectation is here, after supplying the build history and photos to VOSA I finally got the call from the nice man at my local testing station last Thursday.

"When would you like the test?" He asks.

I reply "Well as soon as possible really as the car is ready to go"

"How about next Wednesday?" He replied

At this point my instant reaction was take the opportunity of getting it done while he has a free appointment. I can't wait to get it done. I have confidence that it will pass but also the aprehension that if it fails it's not the end of the world. It just means I get to spend more time working on the car I have so enjoyed building over the last.......4,5,6,....10...I forget now how many years. I' ll let you know how it goes.

Oh yeah, no weather gear fitted and I have a 30 mile drive to test centre! Forecast for Wednesday, light showers! Any ideas? Serious or otherwise.

Fingers crossed

Neil

dolphinboy400
07-04-08, 03:42 PM
good luck for wednesday, hope stays dry at least untill you pass :D

Toddy
07-04-08, 04:53 PM
Good luck :)

stevem
07-04-08, 05:33 PM
Best of luck for wednesday

KevinW
07-04-08, 06:43 PM
Same as me - no weather gear, long journey to sva in a storm.
my suggestions if you suspect rain, based on bitter experience (although it was a laugh, but not at the time):

take out carpets beforehand if you can and stow in boot (I didnt),
take a full face bike helmet, as rain whipping in your face/eyes at 70mph is no joke,
take some towels/rags to mop out the worst,
take a mate to wipe the windscreen/instruments/dash at regular intervals on the way up,
take a complete change of clothes in a bin bag so you can be comfortable on the drive back.

And finally, take a full can of petrol so you dont run dry, (like I did when the fuel gauge jammed on half full!).

best of british...

Kevin

nearly thers
07-04-08, 07:13 PM
Same as me - no weather gear, long journey to sva in a storm.
my suggestions if you suspect rain, based on bitter experience (although it was a laugh, but not at the time):

take a complete change of clothes in a bin bag so you can be comfortable on the drive back.

best of british...

Kevin

Just seen the local forecast, possible showers. Now hopefully not when I'm in the car! Get the wet suit ready then. Thanks for the tips.

Neil

AlexB
07-04-08, 07:37 PM
Good luck mate - hope it goes well!

sprocket
07-04-08, 07:49 PM
I'm in the same boat (not literally I hope) on Monday. I've got 50 miles to go so am probably going to get extremely wet. Oh for a local friend with a trailer...

Good luck on Wednesday.

KevinW
07-04-08, 07:55 PM
I'm in the same boat (not literally I hope) on Monday. I've got 50 miles to go so am probably going to get extremely wet. Oh for a local friend with a trailer...

Good luck on Wednesday.

doesnt matter after the first 20 miles - once you've got wet pants, they stay wet! :-D
take the camcorder - worth recording the sock ringing ceremony afterwards, and best of british (...weather!!)
I did a round trip of 170miles, worth every drop of rain, just to say I did it.

Purple AK
07-04-08, 08:46 PM
Good Luck to both of you ;) And heres hoping for dry weather :cool: IF it does rain, and provided it's not hammering down! You'll probably get a way with "Cobra Knee" But you will need something to wipe the inside of the screen at regular intervals! I use a chammie demister pad which can be held in the right hand whilst still gripping the steering wheel and is always in your hand when you need it.

rocketmut
07-04-08, 09:34 PM
Good luck guys, shades a sheepskin and a big grin is all you'll need.:cool:

Arthur289
07-04-08, 10:45 PM
Good luck to both of you, the SVA seems years away to me

nearly thers
09-04-08, 05:33 PM
Well What an interesting day! The rain held off!

Started a 6:30am when she fired into life and drove to my local garage to fill up. This was the longest journey the car had done to date. Went to restart and the battery gave up!!!! Panic!!! The Wife and a helpful punter on the forecourt gave a push and luckily she fired up again.

A wonderful drive through the New Forest at -2 degrees, engine was misfiring a bit on the right bank. Get to the garage near the test centre and stop to fill up, expecting that the battery is now good......hmmm Who was I kidding. Luckily a guy with some jump leads helped me out. Tip number one take some with you! Tip number two, jump leads on a filling station forecourt might not make you too popular, push it to one side.

Finally got to test centre and kept her running outside while I checked in. Examiner was out in 2 minutes and agreed with me to do as much as we could while we had it running and see what happens. He was as helpful as anyone could possibly be, and that is no lie. Speedo test, noise (96.1db a lot to be said for a V12) then onto the ramps.

He was hapily impressed with the underside of the car and praised me for the build which gave me back some of my confidence after a bad start to the day. Lights were all going well until we tested the full beam and the headlights went into some dipped frenzy! It's never done this before but of course it was a failure unless I could sort it there. Needless to say I couldn't (I think it may well be linked to a flat battery).

A big thanks to the guy who was getting his Mustang tested who had an awesome battery for jump starting, saved my bacon today. Managed to complete all the test and the failures are as detailed below. Nothing that is worrying me too much. One point the examiner and I had a chat about was the seat belt anchorage markings. I know there has been a lot of threads about this one and at one point we were talking a possible failure today. Mine are UNF threads hence no 8.8 markings. They were supplied with the harnesses from willans so I know they are the correct ones. We looked at the manual together and he still would have liked to have seen something from Willans give their specification. After tea break he came back and said after talking with his colleague he was willing to accept them as I showed they had been supplied with the harnesses etc and that they had to be the correct ones. I think this showed a level of sensible experience and comon sense and I can only commend them on their decision.

Failures:

No Full Beam
Wipers only operating at 30 sweeps a minute. (regulation 45)
Handbrake lever radius below 3.2mm ( Jaguar XJS handle 1977 plastic cover)
Edging strip required around part of door shuts adjacent to dashboard. (easy fix could have been done there)
Skid test (brakes need bedding in, passed o.k on the rolling road)

All in all I can only say that after all the bad press I have read about Southampton (Northam) test centre I can only say it was professional, friendly & helpful. Given all the problems I had getting the car there today, they wanted to pass it not fail it. I felt much more relaxed once it all got going and this was mainly down to the nature of the examiner.

Hopefully most of the problems will be sorted when I find the electrical snag, think this would explain not only the full beam but possibly the wipers too.

Big thanks to the wife who also put up with a lot of stress in the last week and especially today. Thanks to you guys who have helped with your tips over the years too. Hopefully get it retested next week if I get a weekend of good results.

Neil

P.S. The drive home on a sunny day was great!!!!

Andy S
09-04-08, 05:52 PM
Neil, in one way I am glad for you that the weather held out.
Shame about the fail but as you say probably most of them are linked, possibly a short or dodgy earth, I am sure you will uncover it.
Also nice to hear about the examiner being realistic and to a large extent helpful,

Lets hope you get it sorted for the retest get some miles and smiles on the old girl then join us in the cob at Le mans classic........you know you want to really.

chedz
09-04-08, 07:31 PM
Unlucky Neil, nothing too bad at all to sort out and you get to drive it there and back again!!

Good luck finding your electrical fault and with the retest!!

G.

sprocket
09-04-08, 08:31 PM
Neil,

Bad luck mate, Nothing too drastic though. I bet the drive home was more relaxing and enjoyable! I was talking to a friend today who assured me that the examiners are a happy and helpful bunch.

I failed my MOT yesterday on handbrake-not good enough, fog light-not working and hazards-left side not working.

All fixed now, retest tomorrow then SVA on monday!

What IS involved in a skid test? Also, did you have the hood/tonneau studs fitted to the body?

Good luck for the retest Neil.

AlexB
09-04-08, 08:57 PM
A shame that you failed, but lets hope it leads to a more reliable car down the line - fix the bug, and you'll be sorted.

Good work, and good luck with the next test.

dolphinboy400
09-04-08, 09:39 PM
unlucky today neil :( hopefully get your problems sorted easily enough and back for a retest. :D
I'd love to come and be nosy some time as i'm not far and reguarly in christchurch as my mum and dad live there :D
all the best for your retest!

dave
10-04-08, 02:52 AM
Bad luck there Neil.
The handbrake is in an exempt zone on a Dax, so shouldn't fail on any radius issues.

The car should not need a skid test , or any other braking test if it has been able to complete the brake roller test. Did the examiner use the "decelerometer" or just see if he could skid the car?

Did the tester actually spray water on the windscreen in order to test the wiper speed? If not, he cocked up there too.

Good luck with the re test.;)

Toddy
10-04-08, 06:55 AM
Must agree with DB there on the handbrake, my examiner commented on the DAX handbrake which is probably sharper than the Jag one, he even went and got his book to check before passing it, as it folds down out of the way.

No skid test on my SVA ? Did have decelerommeter used on MOT though

nearly thers
11-04-08, 05:43 PM
The test was just a visual. He wanted to see that the the fronts didn't lock before the rears ( I think it was that way around) and no he didn't use the decelerometer.

Didn't realise the handbrake was exempt in that area. Maybe I'll give them a call about that one.

No tonneau fitted or hood of any kind.

Got the written confirmation of the failure today with a little note that he got mixed up regarding the emmissions test and that it isn't just visible smoke for a 1977 engine. So I have to have that checked too next time, not that it should be an issue.

Neil

nearly thers
12-04-08, 11:11 AM
Bad luck there Neil.
The handbrake is in an exempt zone on a Dax, so shouldn't fail on any radius issues.

Did the tester actually spray water on the windscreen in order to test the wiper speed? If not, he cocked up there too.

Good luck with the re test.;)

Dave

Yeah he did keep the screen wet, I've just tested it again and got 37 sweeps a minute. regulation is 45 a minute. Any ideas on how to speed it up? I'm using the higher angled drive in the gearbox, can't remember the figure, possibly 135 degrees. Will the car pass with the 90 degree angle box because surely this will mean it will sweep faster?

As for the handbrake, I just had a read of the regs and I guess you are refering to Annex 2 of section 6 "The specified area" as to why the lever is exempt in the Dax?

As for the full beam failure, the relay was sticky. Tried it off the car with a 12v power supply and it hesitated to operate. Replaced it and lights are now good.

My big concern now is why the battery just couldn't cope. The alternator is punching out over 13v so I'm wondering if the the battery is knackered, even though it was new only a year ago. Guess it hasn't seen much work other than starting and running in the driveway. Any ideas?

Neil

TonyD
12-04-08, 01:58 PM
I wouldnt think that the battery would be knackered after only a year.

Have you checked your earths, both battery to chassis and engine to chassis? 13v would seem adequate to charge although its just a wee bit on the low. Is the alternator belt tight enough. It can slip without squeeling with the result that the ignition warnng light goes out but the battery isn't getting sufficient charge.

If after all this the battery is still duff take it back and get a replacement under guarantee. A year of occasional use is nowt for a battery.

Cheers,

Tony

nearly thers
07-05-08, 04:31 PM
Well to cut a long story short she passed the SVA yesterday and is having the DVLA inspection tomorrow morning!

For those who want the long story....

To fix the problems I did the following:

1, Battery charging problem - I removed the battery charging light to fit a brake fluid warning light in it's position as the LED I was using for the warning would possibly fail as it didn't have the brake symbol on it. When I did this I just stowed the charge light wiring neatly out the way. Did you know the charge light is an important part of your voltage regulation circuit and without it the alternator does nothing! I connected a lamp back in and tucked it under the dashboard out the way. System all o.k. What a relief

2, Wipers too slow - stripped gearbox and lubed with some fresh grease, with a fully charged battery all is now o.k

3, Door shut edge exposed - edge strip fitted, instant pass.

4, handbrake Handle radius too small - Decided although this part is in the exempt area it was nothing to file off the edges, a bit of filler to make it more rounded and then cover in some heatshrink. Looks o.k. met the requirements and no arguments with the examiner.

5, brake test - Went for it on the pedal this time, 30mph and locked the girl up fine. he was happy but said even if it hadn't he would have passed it on the rolling road figures.

6, Emissions test (forgot to do on first test) - Car was running a bit lean if anything so a clear pass.

7, No full beam - Replaced relay, all good. Adjusted aim at the test centre with the examiner. Thank you Mr Examiner.

Big smiles!!!! Couldn't fault Northam for the profesionalism shown by the examiner.

Thoroughly enjoyed the drive yesterday morning and I think the wife even smiled a couple of times too. I tried to explain it is normal to come home smelling of exhaust fumes!

So now the big question, once I have this examination tomorrow, how long before I will get a registration number / document so I can get some plates made?

Neil

Toddy
07-05-08, 06:19 PM
From my inspection to getting authority to get plate a month !:(
Other people seem to be able to do it in days

wilf
07-05-08, 07:46 PM
Congratulations!

rocketmut
07-05-08, 08:13 PM
From my inspection to getting authority to get plate a month !:(
Other people seem to be able to do it in days

Mine took six working days,but Ithink its a case of how long is a....
Well done bye the way!!

Toddy
07-05-08, 09:06 PM
Oh yeah Well Done:)

nearly thers
09-05-08, 07:57 PM
Well inspection took all of ten minutes. Looked at the chassis number, engine number and then glanced under the car to confirm the suspension and axles were Jaguar components (don't think he would have actually known if they were or not to be honest!).

All went well and I will be getting an age related plate, as for how long it will take.....

Quote "you should hear from us within seven days" when I mentioned that I hadn't paid any money yet he said you will definitely hear from us soon. Hopefully fully road legal soon!

Couldn't really believe it needed another inspection from a government agency after the SVA but I guess that's why we pay so much tax!

Still it was a pleasure to take her down the local bypass on the best day of the year so far!

Neil