PDA

View Full Version : scrapping the donar before DVLA check

alunwill
08-04-08, 04:42 PM
Is there an issue if I scrap my donar before I finish the build.

I asked at the local DVLA and they stated it's OK providing you take adequate photo's which prove the major parts come from the registered original car.

My concern is that this is the local inspectors view, he may leave and I may have someone else with a different approach!

Does anyone have the experience of not being able to do it this way.

Thanks

Al

chedz
08-04-08, 04:52 PM
As long as you photo the bits and keep the V5 you'll be fine.

The thing to remember is your keeping the car and its identity, your scrapping the bits of metal you don't want only.

The scrap man should not take the paper work, just the bits. You will need to declare sorn to avoid a fine.

hth

Graham

Miket
08-04-08, 05:02 PM
As a precaution I always remove and keep the VIN/chassis plate, never needed it but you never know. ;)

TINKA
08-04-08, 07:43 PM
When I built mine I was told that if I declared the jag as scrapped ,then it would longer be usable as a donor. I would say it is not worth the risk.

ryan
09-04-08, 09:10 PM
As a precaution I always remove and keep the VIN/chassis plate, never needed it but you never know. ;)

And grind the number of the chassis itself, It's just a hunk of metal then without any chance of being identified and registered as scrapped.

If the donor has been a runner, don't forget to register it as SORN.

Ryan

alunwill
10-04-08, 07:19 PM
All,

many thanks for the advise.

So in summary, take the photo's, keep the VIN tag and remove the chasis numbers as a belt and braces approach to scrapping before SVA.

At least it gets rid of the junk and makes space to work in.

thanks

al

ryan
12-04-08, 07:09 AM
Don't forget to add the V5 to that list and I reckon you're all set.

When you do come to scrap the vehicle you may be better off speaking to a scrap metal merchant rather than a breakers yard. The scrap merchant won't be interested in the vehicles history, documents etc. and may even take it away for free. Last time I scrapped a car, other than my donor jag, the breaker wanted reg documents and money to take it away.

Ryan