PDA

View Full Version : Power steering noise

Big G
10-04-08, 09:00 AM
Hi all,with the Cobra having passed It's SVA and now in the spray shop can't wait to get it on the road full time. One thing that is a little annoying is that when the ignition switch is turned on the power steering compressor/motor whatever it is called sounds like a high power fuel pump and seeing that I only have a mechanical one It's a little puzzeling. The people who installed it said this is quite normal, but I have yet to travel in any modern car with the same sound. Does anybody have this same effect?

lutman
10-04-08, 09:38 AM
Hi all,with the Cobra having passed It's SVA and now in the spray shop can't wait to get it on the road full time. One thing that is a little annoying is that when the ignition switch is turned on the power steering compressor/motor whatever it is called sounds like a high power fuel pump and seeing that I only have a mechanical one It's a little puzzeling. The people who installed it said this is quite normal, but I have yet to travel in any modern car with the same sound. Does anybody have this same effect?

Sounds like Bull**it to me !
Normal mechanical steering pump is non operating when the engine is not turning over, its driven by a fan belt from the main crank same like an alternator.
There are usually no solenoids or electrical hook ups to such a pump which would be the only way I would expect any " buzzing " noises with ignition on engine off. Get it checked as it sounds like something else to me - just to confirm when you say ignition switch is on - this is before engine is started ? If engine is running and the pump is being driven you could hear some noise - but even then I would not expect it to be too loud and then only if the pump bearings are worn ! What system do you have installed ? All sounds odd to me !
Willing to learn though if anyone out there considers this as normal.

aksportscars
10-04-08, 11:44 AM
Just to clear this up the Pump fitted is an ELECTRIC power steering pump.
It has been wired up so that when you turn on your ignition the pump starts to work,(making it easy to turn whilst pushing etc) Most modern cars with fancy ecu things set them up so the pump only runs when the battery is charging (engine running) when your engine is running you wont be able to hear the pump.

Jon

AK SPORTSCARS

snakebite
10-04-08, 11:59 AM
It has been wired up so that when you turn on your ignition the pump starts to work,(making it easy to turn whilst pushing etc) Most modern cars with fancy ecu things set them up so the pump only runs when the battery is charging (engine running) when your engine is running you wont be able to hear the pump.

Jon

AK SPORTSCARS

Hi Jon

(making it easy to turn whilst pushing etc)...........nice to see you are catering for the FORD boys..............:mrgreen:

lutman
10-04-08, 12:46 PM

Jon

AK SPORTSCARS

No problem then - just that Big G clearly stated he has a mechanical pump !

Big G
10-04-08, 01:35 PM
Thanks for that, food for thought. At least NOTHING can be heard above the noise of the engine once it has started. Can't imagine why I would want to push it! Interesting that there is more than one way to wire it up.

wilf
10-04-08, 02:20 PM
I often wheel my car around the garage while working on it etc. With the much lower rack ratios that you get with PAS, AK seem to have put a lot of thought into this, as you would be hard pushed to turn the steering wheel without power assist whilst stationary.

Of course, nothing to stop you re-wiring it.

wilf
10-04-08, 02:21 PM
No problem then - just that Big G clearly stated he has a mechanical pump !

Ah but - the pump IS mechanical (or hydraulic, at least), just the pump drive isn't!

Big G
10-04-08, 02:47 PM
Wilf I did a lot of pushing and shoving around the garage and even whilst taking it off the loader at SMS, and suprisingly it did not give me much of a problem. All I wanted was to make sure there was not a problem with this very loud noise. As you say it can, as I understand be re wired.Asking the people that installed it is only the first step,but a little biased. I delibrately did not mention AK so as not offend anybody I just wanted a second opinion from another source, maybe from somebody who has had the same noise.The fact that Jon from AK replied was interesting though. Anyway the info has been a great help thanks. Most of the car I am thrilled to bits with and will look fantastic on the road. When It's all done in a month or so I will write a full report on it with plenty of pics.

wilf
10-04-08, 04:52 PM
It's OK Big G - I'm just getting weaker with age! Not that I was ever that strong to begin with. :-D

I expect it will be one of those things you forget all about once you have a few miles under the wheels (bet you can't wait) - a bit like those of us with electric pumps don't really register the sound (other than as a sign of health).
Look forward to seeing some pics of your car..........

dingocooke
10-04-08, 04:58 PM
on the pushing around the garage topic; if you have image wheels with exposed wheel nuts, if you buy a telescopic wheel brace (a rather natty chrome steel jobby with 19/17mm socket for 7 odd) from Halfords you can very easily wind the car around; no need to huff and puff, or get finger marks on the body work; just remember forwards with an offside wheel, backwards with a nearside one so you dont loosen your nuts..(ooer missus)

Useful for moving the car back into the garage if you dont like starting up for 10 feet when cold; works for me anyway.

TINKA
10-04-08, 05:06 PM
Thanks for that, food for thought. At least NOTHING can be heard above the noise of the engine once it has started. Can't imagine why I would want to push it! Interesting that there is more than one way to wire it up.

Got the electric pump on mine but it only runs when the engine is actually running so no problem with noise at all. :D :D :D

brian twigg
10-04-08, 06:32 PM
To get the pump to run only with the engine running automatically, requires the pump supply to be fed through a 30 or 40amp relay, and the relay coil supply to come from the alternator ignition light feed.

When the ignition is turned on, a 12v supply is passed through the ignition warning light and earths through the stationary alternator coils. It also feeds the power steering relay but with the ignition warning light in series with the supply, there is insufficient power to pull in the relay.

When the engine starts, the speed of the engine turning the alternator generates a charging voltage which is fed down the wire coming from the ignition warning light, so the bulb is now being fed 12volts from both wires and goes out.

But the 12volts can also travel down the wire to the relay to earth through the relay coil, this will energise the relay coil and pull in the relay which will feed the power steering pump, thus giving the desireable situation of the pump only running when the engine is running.

i know a circuit diagram would be better but i don't know how to draw that on the computer so the above description is the best I can offer.

Hope it helps.

Brian

Miket
10-04-08, 09:44 PM
Got the electric pump on mine but it only runs when the engine is actually running so no problem with noise at all. :D :D :D

Have AK changed there system, as mine runs of the crankshaft pulley. :confused: :confused:

TINKA
10-04-08, 10:24 PM
Have AK changed there system, as mine runs of the crankshaft pulley. :confused: :confused:

I have a serpentine belt on mine and there is no room because of this. One advantage is , on a track day I can pull the fuse and the steering goes back to the non power weight and I can feel the car better through the steering. :D :twisted: