PDA

View Full Version : Battery

plod
15-04-08, 08:01 PM
I require a new one. I have even managed to pull the old one out. Reason is it just went flat without any regular use ( once every several months for about 10 mins.. when fuel ran out..) and trickle charging became a little difficult and awkward. My wallet may live to regret that..

It's an odyssey battery, very compact - 20 x 16 x 17 (cms)its a PC1200 if you want to search and have a look. It's dry cell too. Weighs a bloody ton (actually 16kgs)

Looked at websites, US require $200 plus shipping (another $170 :shock:) UK sites have this battery at around 180 plus whatever horse they can find to send it..

What is the difference between drycell and something else ie not drycell and does anyone apart from getting the same again have any ideas? It would be helpful to get the same/similar dimensions as the battery is in a fairly enclosed space and sits in a tray in a cubby hole in the boot

PS I will be fitting it all by myself!

TonyD
15-04-08, 08:17 PM
Have you asked those lovely people who supplied the battery what the guarantee is on said expensive item as its not three years old yet is it?

Even 30 cheapy batteries from halfrauds and the local motor factors have a guarantee of three years. I would imagine that such a technologically advanced battery should be able to withstand a few months on non charge. In addition think of all the excellent publicity and PR that could be gained amongst their target audience if the supplier would be inclined to sort a new battery for you.

As a last resort, and if its not under guarantee, as its a dry cell, which I take it means that theres no fluid in it like a phone battery, try putting it in the freezer overnight and then giving it 12 hours of trickle charge the next day.

This has been known to reawaken dead phone batteries and gives them another 4 to 6 months of life.... and its not like you have anything to lose.

If it was my battery it would be going back to the manufacturer with a warranty claim attached.

Cheers,

Tony

wilf
15-04-08, 08:21 PM
.......and with the next battery, buy and use a battery conditioner monitor/charger (not a bog standard trickle charger which will kill it).Such a unit is designed to be left connected permanently and will stop plate sulphurisation, which is what has killed your existing battery. Batteries don't like being left unused for ages, whatever their type (and a dry cell battery simply has the electrolyte absorbed into mats or a paste around the plates, instead of sloshing around as a liquid).

Purple AK
15-04-08, 08:27 PM
Odyssey PC1200 Battery The Odyssey PC1200 is a superb cranking battery coupled with "true" deep cycle capabilities. The PC1200 has 1200 cranking amps and 550 cold cranking amps. and you can use any lead acid charger or alternator that stays below 15.2 voThis is possible because of Odyssey's use of high purity lead which also makes the internal plates resistant to corrosion and sulfating; the number one cause of battery failure. Odyssey batteries can be discharged and recharged over 400 times before showing any signs of decreasing capacity. The PC1200 can be charged at up to 50 amps lts. We recommend using Odyssey's brand of chargers shown under the related products section below which are in tune to the batteries unique recharge signature. 1200 cranking amps for 5 seconds (CA) 550 cold cranking amps (CCA) 44 amp hours 78 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolts Length: 7.87" WARRANTEE CLAIM Width: 6.66" Height: 6.80" Weighs: 38.2 lbs. Odyssey Guide Volume discounts 3 year full replacement warranty Rugged drycell sealed maintenance free construction Military grade, pure lead design Vibration resistant 60% more starting power then conventional sealed batteries Deep cycle reserve power 2 year storage life -40 F to 140 F operating range 8-12 year design life Can be mounted on its side at any angle Ready to perform out of the box (fully charged) Made in the U.S.A.
Warranty Claim!!

craggle
15-04-08, 08:28 PM
Hi Paul

I used to work for a company that built hybrid vehicles and we used Odyssey batteries for our buses. I have one of the PC1700 batteries in the back of my car and it is great. It can be left for months and never looses any power.

I would be surprised if yours is beyond help. I would get a good quality battery conditioner and disconect it from the car and leave it on the conditioner for a while. I use an Accumate charger / conditioner and it claims to do all sorts of things to batteries to recover them. Don't forget that the odyssey batteries are designed for deep discharging so cycling the battery a few times can do no harm.

If it still won't recover speak to the original supplier to see what the warrenty is.

Craig.

plod
15-04-08, 10:10 PM
Thansk chaps,

Tony
OMG. A freezer? Has anyone else found this? How on earth did someone find that out more to the point? If this might be a way forward, forgive the obvious but should I wrap it up first?
The date f manufacture is stuck on as 28th April 2005 so if it is 3 yrs, I am nearly out - which also means I am just in though Chris mentions 8- 12 years. There is no other documentation. However, between the lines Tony, I hope someone else is also reading between the same bits

Wilf,
Does the dry cell feature mean that this type of battery is even more susceptible to going off when not in use? I must point out that battery was never placed on charge when not in use (is that my guarantee just going down the drain?) The use that it has had ( 9 months ago) was about 30 mins every 3/4 weeks - Thanks Wilf

Chris,
Genius. You rmind is full of trivial things including an Odyssey Battery PC1200 (though I bet you looked on the internet 8))

Craig,
Wow 1700? I did see that that although the 1200 is the smallest in the range, it is still beyond the normal car and is featured in the commercail sectio on the site. Yours must be massive.:rolleyes:

I may speak with the supplier given the comments above

thanks

slogger
15-04-08, 10:21 PM
Paul see here.

http://www.active-robots.com/products/power-supplies/odyssey-batteries/battery-guide.pdf

You are looking at three years!

Clive
15-04-08, 10:22 PM
Thansk chaps,

Tony
OMG. A freezer? Has anyone else found this? How on earth did someone find that out more to the point?

A normal winter (like the kind we used to have) would take the outside temperature to lower than that of a domestic deep-freeze. I remember winters when we had temps to minus 20 degrees and batteries were OK! ;)

plod
15-04-08, 10:28 PM
Hi Iain,

yup remember reading this sometime recently in an alcohol fuelled rage. It is the only thing, I think preventing me from starting and doing a little grocery shopping. ( I can feel your jealousy..)

I am of fairly honest mind though. if this is a manufacturer thing rather than a supplier (this forum has eyes I am sure) am I likely to be asked all sorts of questions? Unlike for example - it doesn't work, send it back.. $170 for shipping I was quoted.

plod
15-04-08, 10:29 PM
A normal winter (like the kind we used to have) would take the outside temperature to lower than that of a domestic deep-freeze. I remember winters when we had temps to minus 20 degrees and batteries were OK! ;)

Clive, you're in Scotland if I read the Perth and flag bit correct. I am in the sunny climes of the South East :cool:

TonyD
15-04-08, 10:37 PM
Thansk chaps,

Tony
OMG. A freezer? Has anyone else found this? How on earth did someone find that out more to the point? If this might be a way forward, forgive the obvious but should I wrap it up first?
The date f manufacture is stuck on as 28th April 2005 so if it is 3 yrs, I am nearly out - which also means I am just in though Chris mentions 8- 12 years. There is no other documentation. However, between the lines Tony, I hope someone else is also reading between the same bits

It was a trick told me by some "scallies" in Liverpool who used to steal car radios. Then car manufacturers started to put coded radios into the cars, the codes being stored in a memory chip that had its own battery. The scallies found out that they could wipe the chips memory by freezing the radio and thereby the battery powering the chip, which would recover without problems. They then tried it with lots of pother battery powered devices such as mobile phones etc and discovered the rejuvinating effects of cold on some types of battery.

Call your car suppliers tomorrow and get the battery replaced under warranty. Under sale of goods legislation they are responsible not the battery manufacturer. But as responsible suppliers they won't argue the toss will they. Do let us all know here the outcome.

Cheers,
Tony

PS the guarantee runs from date of purchase not manufacture.........

slogger
15-04-08, 10:39 PM
Hi Iain,

yup remember reading this sometime recently in an alcohol fuelled rage. It is the only thing, I think preventing me from starting and doing a little grocery shopping. ( I can feel your jealousy..)

I am of fairly honest mind though. if this is a manufacturer thing rather than a supplier (this forum has eyes I am sure) am I likely to be asked all sorts of questions? Unlike for example - it doesn't work, send it back.. $170 for shipping I was quoted.

The last line of the first paragraph was what stood out. I'd email Odyssey and see what they have to say. Got to be worth ago!!:D

I was looking at one of these batteries, but now your prob as cropped up I think I will wait. A Delco sealed battery at less than half the price maybe better in the long run.:confused:

craggle
16-04-08, 07:12 AM
The PC1700 is huge and a real pain in the arse (back) to lift into place above the axle. Keeps the rear wheels on the floor though:mrgreen:

See if you can buy or borrow a decent charger/maintainer and I'm sure it will recover perfectly well. My Accumate charger would take about 3-4 days to do it but they will be fine after that.

I wouldn't fit any other type of battery in my car. I like the sealed drycell ones as they can't leak, even if punctured and they don't need venting. For a battery that is sealed in the boot this is a good thing.

Craig.

oglyoodoo
16-04-08, 07:41 AM
I have had a Unipart Samson Battery in another car for the last 16 years. Well not the same battery as when you buy one its guaranteed for as long as you keep the car. I'm on my third one at the moment. Just take the registration card and old battery to the Unipart dealer and hey presto after a few days a new battery handed over....

Denis

snakebite
16-04-08, 11:42 AM
PS I will be fitting it all by myself!

What! with grown up tools.............sorry Paul, couldn't resist:mrgreen:

Noel
16-04-08, 02:21 PM
Interesting??

Too many unknown variables in past usage so am unable to pass a valid comment. Have used Optima batteries for years, constantly leaving them for 6 months at a time before restarting cars (LandRover) and have never let me down. The write up that Chris found is virtually word for word the description of Optima batteries as well

OPTIMA SpiraCell(c) batteries, UK supplier (http://www.optimabattery.co.uk/index.htm)

There is a menu on the lower left of the page to bring up the various info. Don't know if they will fit but they are considerably cheaper than the Odyssey's, see here

http://www.tayna.co.uk/catalog/114/0/Optima-Batteries-Optima-Red-Top-Batteries-page1.html

FatBoy
16-04-08, 04:15 PM
Paul,
I'm using a pair of small batteries on my Kirkham to sit in the original location behind the passenger seat. I'm using a pair from one of those little electric wheelchair things (no jokes please :) ) that old folks terrorise pedestrians with. They were 100 for the pair and are sealed. Although I have two of them, I only have one connected and it spins over perfectly well enough.

http://kms.nfshost.com/information/batteries/batt1024x768.jpg

Noel
16-04-08, 04:23 PM
Paul,
I'm using a pair of small batteries on my Kirkham to sit in the original location behind the passenger seat. I'm using a pair from one of those little electric wheelchair things (no jokes please :) ) that old folks terrorise pedestrians with. They were 100 for the pair and are sealed. Although I have two of them, I only have one connected and it spins over perfectly well enough.

http://kms.nfshost.com/information/batteries/batt1024x768.jpg

Funny, the homepage for Optima is all about wheelchair batteries :rolleyes: :D

dolphinboy400
16-04-08, 06:09 PM
would you RV8 guys suggest using a stock battery i.e. 500 + CCA, or would a lesser one work? After all its doing alot less than it would in the factory car it came out of. I just dont wanna buy something that i dont really need :D

TonyD
16-04-08, 06:54 PM
would you RV8 guys suggest using a stock battery i.e. 500 + CCA, or would a lesser one work? After all its doing alot less than it would in the factory car it came out of. I just dont wanna buy something that i dont really need :D

I'm using an Exide Extra 600CA, Silver Technology, sealed for life, 3 year no quibble guarantee and it cost 45 from the local motor factors.

I can't see reducing a battery's CA will save you too much money, and what happens when you upgrade/ change the engine in a years or so time, would a lower power battery spin over the 427 sideoiler you have your eye on?:-D

Cheers,

Tony

dolphinboy400
16-04-08, 07:02 PM
I'm using an Exide Extra 600CA, Silver Technology, sealed for life, 3 year no quibble guarantee and it cost 45 from the local motor factors.

I can't see reducing a battery's CA will save you too much money, and what happens when you upgrade/ change the engine in a years or so time, would a lower power battery spin over the 427 sideoiler you have your eye on?:-D

Cheers,

Tony

i wish lol :D exide extra i will look for that as that sounds more reasonable than 70 + . thanks tony

plod
16-04-08, 07:56 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

I have a rather defeatist answr to give you though. I do have the money to buy new so that is what I am doing. It's an eay way out but I thought about this long and hard.

New battery cost about 132. Plus VAT. Bought from Somerset, nice girl on the phone, we chatted about the weather, clear skies, countryside, birds singing.... almost sidetracked from the main issue really.

Got on to the detail of the battery. 7L V8 I said. Ripped she said :twisted:

Delivery for the 16kg item is also 6.55 :o I thought that was extemely cheap. Ordered at 2pm today and apparently arrives tomorrow at work. Car been off the road soooooooooooo long, I couldn't resist tho I bet the weather changes (but wait a minute, I have a roof, doesn't matter..)

So, Tony I hope you dont feel let down, that I did not take it further, but as said, the forum has eyes and word gets round..

I have a forklift at the ready to install. This time tomorrow, I hope to have covered a few miles.

Purple AK
16-04-08, 08:05 PM
Who let you loose with Money??? :confused: I was gonna say drop the old one over and I'll see what I can do with it ;)

plod
16-04-08, 08:23 PM
I forgot to say. If it works well it works. You can have it Chris if you want.

OT sorted LM yet?

TonyD
16-04-08, 08:30 PM
Ah the Folly and Impetuousness of youth.......

Just so you could get a few miles on the car today and tomorrow, that 160 you just spend on a battery would have got you about 300 miles on the way to Le Mans..........or 888 bottles on Kronenbourg when you get there. :D

Cheers,

Tony:D

Purple AK
16-04-08, 08:36 PM
I forgot to say. If it works well it works. You can have it Chris if you want.

OT sorted LM yet?
I wasn't after blagging it! Just trying to save you money ;)

LM! No not yet. Do you fancy the overnight Wednesday with Fatboy etc????

plod
16-04-08, 08:36 PM
Ah the Folly and Impetuousness of youth.......

Just so you could get a few miles on the car today and tomorrow, that 160 you just spend on a battery would have got you about 300 miles on the way to Le Mans..........or 888 bottles on Kronenbourg when you get there. :D

Cheers,

Tony:D

Tony thanks. Fear not. I will still buy you a Kronenburg when we get there