PDA

View Full Version : Cooling...

DevonFrog
13-05-08, 03:18 PM
I need some help again.... I think a lot of the SW group know the story of our classic replica - it was originally built with a 2.0 pinto engine and then someone along the line put the Rover V8 in. In the wonderful weather we've had recently however, it has become all too apparant that the radiator fitted is not even remotely sufficient - seems to be from the 2.0 Pinto. It's currently mounted right behind the grill at the very front of the engine bay with not much room for something bigger so I'm assuming one needs fitting further back but what radiator is normally fitted for the Rover engine? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if anyone's got one for sale...

stu e
13-05-08, 03:36 PM
Hi Dave /Laura

I know my car is a Sumo but it has an RV8 as well. If you want to have a measure up and see what will or won't fit you're welcome to.
My rad is a Sierra diesel, as supplied by Pilgrim and so far have had no probs.
I was planning on going for a drive later, if you want I can call round your way.
Stu.

westborne
13-05-08, 03:51 PM
What fans are fitted ?

Neil O
13-05-08, 04:19 PM
Frogster, have you got mesh in the front opening?

DevonFrog
15-05-08, 12:10 PM
The standard fan fitted to the radiator and that's it. The thermostat works and the fan does come on - it just doesn't have the size / power to cool it quick enough.

DevonFrog
15-05-08, 12:12 PM
Frogster, have you got mesh in the front opening?

We do yes - not the posh real stuff though! I think just painted chicken wire.

lutman
15-05-08, 12:32 PM
Just a thought - and apologies to those who have already heard my "when I was in South Africa" stories... BUT... When I was in SA, there was a major difference to cooling when fitting a nose splitter - generally a flat plate material mounted across the radiator scoop inlet.
Shelby did it on the 427SC as it was found that the design shape of the nose caused air to aerodynamically flow to the top of the rad and less to the bottom as that air flow tended to run under the car.
I ran an inlet splitter and noticed a difference in water temp of around 25degC average between with and without. Air temp would have been around average 28degC before any asks !
Also already mentioned on other threads - its better to run one large fan than two smaller fans, all to do with air mass flow movements !
Could always try an aluminium racing style rad as they tend to be more efficient.
Something to think about if you are unable to increase the rad size

TINKA
15-05-08, 03:38 PM
What size is a standard fan :confused::confused: they come in all sizes. If the mesh in the front of the car is restricting the flow of air in any way at all you will need to remove it as this is a known problem with the mesh that Pilgrim supply for their customers.

Neil O
15-05-08, 04:08 PM
We do yes - not the posh real stuff though! I think just painted chicken wire.

Stick your boot through it. That will help.....a little. ;)

Edit: sorry Tinkerbell, overlapped your post.

westborne
15-05-08, 04:38 PM
A 16" Pacet Fan is pretty powerful and not that expensive - measure your existing fan and let us know.

Remove the mesh as our "cooling expert" NeilO has suggested and try it

Sidecarbod
15-05-08, 04:48 PM
Like others have said the rad that pilgrim use is an up-side-down sierra 2.3 diesel jobbie. This is only part of the solution but can be made to work with a fairly well tuned 4.6 and even a hot SBC. (Noels). Infact my car runs between 75 and 80 degrees even in the hot weather that we had recently.

If you are running an edelbrock performer manifold then you should drill two holes into the water channels just behind the stat. You should also fit a 74 degree stat (This is important in my opinion).

Other mods include restricting the hose that runs to the top of the expansion tank as it allows water to short-circuit past the radiator. The top hose of the expansion tank only has to allow air out of the system.

Personally I don’t like the idea of relying on the fan to keep the engine cool, in my opinion the cooling system should be up to the job on its own and the fan should only be needed in traffic. A good fan to go for is the pacet pro series 12” version. It pulls a lot of air and not too much current. (The pilgrims ones do the exact opposite!). It is more or less the biggest fan that you can fit to the sierra rad.

I know that you don't have a pilgrim but alot of RV8's end up in Sumo's so it is good to compare what you've got with one.

Another good mod is to make up some plates out of something to fill in the gaps around the side of the rad. (I knocked up some fibre glass panels)

I have also found that some rad caps barely bottom out when fitted to some filler necks. The result is that the blow off pressure that is stated on the cap is nothing like the real blow off pressure. Graham (chedz) and I did some tests on his car and from memory his cap was blowing off at about 7 psi!
We made a couple of extra rubber seals and that got the pressure up to 13 psi (Or something similar).

The tests were done in true Heath Robinson style with rubber tube and a foot pump! (I stand by the results though!)

HTH,

Pete

DevonFrog
16-05-08, 01:25 PM
Hi Dave /Laura

I know my car is a Sumo but it has an RV8 as well. If you want to have a measure up and see what will or won't fit you're welcome to.
My rad is a Sierra diesel, as supplied by Pilgrim and so far have had no probs.
I was planning on going for a drive later, if you want I can call round your way.
Stu.

That would be great to have a look - unfortunately I'm away for a week from tomorrow, then back for a week and away again with work so the car won't be getting much use at all 'til mid-June. If I can inbetween trips I'll arrange with you to meet and have a measure up, but if not then definately in June (possibly at meet on 1st - I think that's the weekend I'm back but will need to check)!! I'll do some research into sourcing / pricing a radiator in the meantime!

DevonFrog
16-05-08, 01:36 PM
All fantastic suggests / gems of advice thank you! I'll do some research into the fans / Sierra rads and measure our existing fan.

Will also remove the mesh on the front - though perhaps not with my foot NeilO; could damage shoes and all that!

Will also look into a splitter Lutman and see what I can come up with. I do agree with Pete that I don't want to rely on the fan alone for cooling and plan to re-do the cooling and electrics over the winter months so hopefully a splitter and no mesh will last the summer and radiator / fan amendments can be done then.

I'll let you know how we get on! Thanks again :-D

stu e
16-05-08, 02:05 PM
Have sent you a PM
Stu.

Neil O
16-05-08, 02:17 PM
Dave, a splitter will only make a difference if you're moving (just to state the obvious). Is it running hot all the time or just in traffic etc?

Sounds like you are away a lot, does Laura get lonely? ;):p
MikeT said I should ask......:twisted: