PDA

View Full Version : Engine mounts

oglyoodoo
16-05-08, 07:10 PM
I need a bit of advice regarding the engine mounts for my SBC.

Some standard mounts were supplied with my engine but they didn't fit the fixings on the chassis. I was advised to get some expensive Competition mounts from Real steel this I did.
I have the correct ones but the welds on the underside of the mount foul the flat plates welded to the chassis and prevent the 4" bolt from fitting through the piece of tube (also welded to the chassis). I have milled away a bit of the weld on the mount but to make the mount fit so it sits properly on the flat plate on the chassis I will have to file the sides away. Has anyone else had this problem and did they file a bit of the flat plate on the chassis. If I don't do this the mount will be sitting on the uneven welds and then I would have to file out the Fixing hole in the mount... Why is nothing simple????

Denis

Simon R
16-05-08, 07:13 PM
Have you got a picture Denis? mine fitted OK

Simon

craggle
16-05-08, 07:18 PM
Probably not much help as I have a Dax but I also used different mounts from the standard ones. I got These (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ENS%2D3%2D1114R&N=700+400008+4294908216+4294840140+4294889107+115&autoview=sku) but they also had the weld on the inside of the plates. I had to file the powder coat off the ends of the chassis mount tubes and reduce the weld a bit on the mounts.
They did fit in the end but still a tight fit. I got the bolts through the chassis tubes then ran the engine a while before doing them up. This seemed to settle them down on the chassis a bit better.

Craig.

oglyoodoo
17-05-08, 09:37 AM
Simon the picture posted by Craig shows the same mounts and the welds that are causing the problem. I don't want to take anymore off the welds on the mounts to make them fit.

Craig, your comments are indeed helpful as you have clearly had the same problem and have confirmed my thoughts. Time to take a big file or the angle grinder to the Powder coating on the chassis!! Annoying but it'll have to be done....Sod it!!

Thanks guys

Denis

richardd
31-08-08, 09:58 AM
Hi Denis,

I have been experiencing similar problems with my Ford engine mounts.

AB did not confirm what engine mounts to buy just referred me to Real Steel or Repower. I bought the std Ford versions from Real Steel.

See pics for current position. This is the best I can achieve with all the fixing bolts in the block loose. It is about a 1/4 of a hole out. My view is that the GD chassis mounts are too close together as the engine mount is not sitting parallel with the GD plate and is only making contact at the extreme top of the GD plate. You can just see this in the 2nd pic.

As you can see I have ground some of the leading surface away and it has helped. But how far can I go??? I could file open the mount hole but that would leave very little metal to secure a V8 engine in place!!!

My other thought is to get an angle grinder to the top corner edge of the flat GD plate. If I ground off a mill or 2 it might just fit.

Or are there different Ford engine mounts which have the fixing hole in a different position?

richardd
31-08-08, 10:06 AM
Hi Guys,

Just read previous threads on engine mounts and I think Wilf had the answer. Looking at Repower website I have version 03's where the mounting hole is further out. The version 04s puts the mounting holes further together which would probably get over my problem.

Why don't GD tell you this!!!!

wilf
31-08-08, 10:25 AM
Pleased to be of help.

Engine mounts are not gay.

steveym
03-09-08, 04:49 PM
Yep there are two different engine mounts available tall & thin or short & fat - It was only after some head scratching (and fortunately not too much grinding) that I found this out too....ah well

oglyoodoo
03-09-08, 05:10 PM
It seems Craig has done as I have with the same mounts. The chassis plates, where the Engine mounts sit were, I assume, too wide or the Welds on the mounts a bit excessive. I removed a small amount of the weld on the mounts and took a decent file to the chassis plates and bevelled the edges. The mounts sit snugly in the correct place now. Just a nuisance having to do this after it's been powder coated.

Denis

richardd
03-09-08, 07:31 PM
Hi Guys,

Just taken delivery from Repower of the Ford 04 version which has the chassis fixing bolt further together, but they don't fit either. Now the mounting holes are too close together to allow them to mate to the chassis bolt fixings.

Also the Repower versions aren't as tall as the mounts which I bought from Real Steel. Also they have a 7/16" main bolt hole fixing rather than the 1/2" on the Real Steel version and the mounting tubes in the GD chassis.

Would the Repower 03 versions do the trick????

This is becoming a nightmare!!!!!

Simon R
03-09-08, 08:09 PM
Hi Guys,

Just taken delivery from Repower of the Ford 04 version which has the chassis fixing bolt further together, but they don't fit either. Now the mounting holes are too close together to allow them to mate to the chassis bolt fixings.

Also the Repower versions aren't as tall as the mounts which I bought from Real Steel. Also they have a 7/16" main bolt hole fixing rather than the 1/2" on the Real Steel version and the mounting tubes in the GD chassis.

Would the Repower 03 versions do the trick????

This is becoming a nightmare!!!!!

Richard,

When I got confused about this very issue - I phoned AB who gave me the correct part number - job done - no probs. I can't help you though 'cos mine's a chevy. Give GD a ring.

Cheers,

Simon.