PDA

View Full Version : SVA Retest Pass

Pete
08-06-01, 09:08 AM
Hi, I finally passed yesterday at Mitcham. Everything was fine although the newly fabricated exhaust was still deemed too loud, the tester allowed me to stuff wire wool into the pipes whilst he monitored it until it was down to an acceptable level!!! A really nice guy, big change from my first visit.

Anyone want to buy an SVA manual? It is marked June 2000, but was the latest available when purchased in Jan 2001 - I think it has been updated slightly since then. 15 inc postage.

Pete

graham
08-06-01, 10:08 PM
Well done pete,

I have a couple of question if that is ok,

On the noise test I understand to be three quarters of max engine power, is that bhp or torque figure?

What engine do you have and how did you get on with emmissions?

Cheers

graham

Pete
09-06-01, 10:51 AM
Hi Graham, he asked my RPM at max power (BHP) which is 5200 for my pinto, and then used his calc to work out 3/4 of this, ie 3900. This test was much more hassle than I would have thought, and I would advise anyone to take plenty of wire wool etc with them just in case (you can ask the examiner to recalibrate the meter, whilst he's doing this you can stuff some wadding in the pipe - I took an old metal coathanger to hook it out afterwards).

CO emissons were ok at under 3.00, limit (on my '82 engine) was 4.50. I had it crypton tuned on the morning of my test.

Regarding noise generally, the examiner told me loads of 'new' jap imports fail on the noise test. He also said that private individuals are told by journals that its relatively easy to do a personal Japanese import - after waiting x months for their car to arrive they find it fails on a variety of problems, like sharp rain gutter edges, emmisions and noise. I saw the interior of a Mazda MX5 failed because the fresh air vents were too sharp. The general public are totally unprepared for all this, and boy do they get upset!!!

Incidentally there's a rumour about the SVA test being increased to 1500 at the end of the year! The examiner could'nt confirm or deny, but the're on a training course next week regarding this - the new test would include things like 'drive by' noise and emmisions levels as opposed to static tests. He did'nt know if this would apply to all SVA'd cars or whether kits may be an exception.
He said the price would probably be high to deter personal imports (is this another motorists stealth tax???).

Pete

imported_admin
11-06-01, 10:39 AM
Pete,
I'm interested in Manual.
Kev

Pete
11-06-01, 03:53 PM
Hi Kev, I know I had your address once, but I've lost it. Send it to me on email, and I'll post it.

Petedox@ukf.net

Cheers

Pete

imported_admin
12-06-01, 10:33 AM
Pete,
I assume you didnt have the same trainee as last time, and that your fog lamp was nice'n'smooth?
Anyway look forward to meeting up sometime. If the SVA rumour is true, I'd better get my finger out, but work means the car isnt getting much of a look in at the moment.

Kev

imported_admin
12-07-01, 11:04 AM
:7 Hi Pete
I know I'm a bit late, but 'Well done' and congrats on the SVA pass. I felt really guilty when mine passed a couple of days after your first attempt. A friendly examiner who has got out of bed the RIGHT side makes a lot of difference!

See you at one of the shows

Cheers
Vic

kev
12-07-01, 07:35 PM
Well done Pete, now the fun begins !

When I got my car through in April I was told by the tester that there will be a 2 tier SVA test and that the 1500 will be for imported cars, but the test for kitcars would remain unchanged.

I hope was right.

Kev(Tams)