PDA

View Full Version : Update

CeeJay
27-07-08, 09:39 PM
Hi All

I haven't updated where I am with my viper build for good while so I thought I'd do so tonight. Well my 6 month build has so far taken 3 years - not quite the timescale I was hoping for! The chasis now rolls, the engine, supercharger, gearbox and diff are all in place, and so last night for the 1st time in 36 months the body went back on the car!

Really felt I was getting somewhere until I noticed that the body seems to be offset to the passenger side - the body juts out over the passenger wheels a good 2.5 inches whereas on the drivers side the body sits flush with the wheels...

Not to sure how I'm going to sort that one out - hopefully I wont have to resort to cutting it in half and refitting it that way - thats not a job I 'd want to try!

Ah well - I'm off for a beer while I try and work out what to do....

Regards
CeeJay.

Deck
28-07-08, 11:29 PM
Hi CeeJay
Mine was half (arsed) attached when I got it so can't help you that much here i'm afraid.

What do you mean 'body juts out over'? Do you mean when looked at from the front the body is too far over to the right? What are you using for a centre line?
Mine was attached to the chassis all along its lower side edge with rivets but the rest of it was free to move until I glassed it up...it doesn't sit centred on the scuttle frame of the chassis but the measurements from the footwell walls to the body sides are the same.

It could have been left resting on its side and crept out of shape... Is there anything physically impeding it from being pushed into a central position?

I (and others) had trouble with centering the wheels in all 4 arches at the same time. there are various methods of fixing this if this is what you mean.

The other big issue is the ride height. To begin with the arches need to sit really high over the wheels. 100mm was my average from 'centre' of arch to top tyre (17in hals).

Good luck
Dec

kevchard
29-07-08, 07:12 AM
Hi Ceejay
Sorry i haven't replied to your text yet, i will. Had a major problem or 2 getting ours through MOT with brakes - but sorted now.
I can remember Steamy_Rotter - Dean having similar problems with offset problem, but only 10mm in his case (same as mine, but i left 10mm as it seemed a bit anal).
Anyway as been said by Deck, have you tried to 'stress' the body to where you want it to go. I had to cut fibreglass floorpan out of ours so as it sitted where i wanted it to, then glass it back in.
I also suffer the 'monster truck' effect, so lowered springs after SVA to a more suitable height.
I will ring at some stage to get all your trials and tribulations, hopefully before you phone samaritans for help with the voices in your head :)
Hope you're both well, how are wedding plans?
Cheers
Kevin

CeeJay
29-07-08, 08:52 PM
Hi Guys

Nice to hear from you both - its been a while!

What I meant by ''body juts out over'' is that the wheels are not centred in the wheel-arches. On the drivers side the wheel is recessed 1 inch into the wing, while on the passengers side the wheel is recessed 2 inches. I had a suspicion this was the case when I trial fitted the body last year, but it was only on Saturday that I knew for sure (My build must by now be the most overdue viper build still ongoing?).

I actually came to the conclusion last night that I would need to cut out the inner tub and refit (not the worst job I've had to do on this car, but I bet it takes me a while!), but its reassuring the hear that you had to do the same Kev. I'm sure I can move it 12.5 mm and bring it back into line - although it does mean cutting out the transmission tunnel.

Deck 100mm between the wheel and the arch would be an inprovent over what I have at present - mine currently sits 5" above the wheel! The "Monster truck" comment is spot on - it looks bloody ridicolous at present...

Many thanks for the comments guys - as always its nice to know I'm not the only one having these problems. That said, I've become so used to the trials this car has thrown at me that even my darkest hours have been just that - hours. After a few beers I realise that I've sorted out so many other f*ck-ups that previous owners (plus the actual manufacturer (whoever the hell that was)) has made, that I know I can overcome just about anything - the moments that I've considered torching the b*gger and claiming the insurance have become less frequent! All I can say it thank god for Stella Artois - calming p*issed off cobra builders since 2004...

Kev I knew when I didn't here from you that you would be upto something viper related so dont worry! As for the wedding - what can I say? They're far to bloody complicated, too flipping expensive and are surely designed by mother-in-laws to stress out the groom to be! Looking forward to July 19th next year when it will all be over!

Regards
CeeJay.

P.s Heres a thought - surely there cant be many vipers left out there unbuilt by now - so maybe in the not too distant future this forum will be closed? Just a thought....

kevchard
30-07-08, 07:13 AM
Hi Ceejay
Regarding the forum closing, as long as there is ebay and wishfull thinking optimists like us about, it will still exist :).
There is Lazy_Boys still in an unfinished state in Ireland somewhere, Deans, and i'm sure a few more tucked away somewhere.
I am thinking yours is a Cobretti cos of the Sierra rear end.
You wouldnt necessarily have to cut the transmission tunnel if you cut the floor pan out completely, because tunnel would come with 'under the seats' floorpan.
We cut the pan from one end of the car to the other on ours to get body lying on chassis sensibily.
Even when you lower the body to get rid of 'monstrer truck' appearance, you then have to start playing the 'clearance on wheels arches look right, but can't go over speed humps as nose hits the tarmac' game :(. For that reason i am changing to coil overs when i get an influx of cash (god knows from where tho).
Luckily we went for a low key wedding and cost next to b####r all. The Viper build cheap wasn't cheap, but still could manage 4 weddings to building one DMS.
If ours is still working next year, we would like to come and see you in your kilt and finery on the day :).
Cheers for now.
Kevin

hfbradley01
30-07-08, 06:59 PM
Hi Guys

Nice to hear from you both - its been a while!

What I meant by ''body juts out over'' is that the wheels are not centred in the wheel-arches. On the drivers side the wheel is recessed 1 inch into the wing, while on the passengers side the wheel is recessed 2 inches. I had a suspicion this was the case when I trial fitted the body last year, but it was only on Saturday that I knew for sure (My build must by now be the most overdue viper build still ongoing?).

I actually came to the conclusion last night that I would need to cut out the inner tub and refit (not the worst job I've had to do on this car, but I bet it takes me a while!), but its reassuring the hear that you had to do the same Kev. I'm sure I can move it 12.5 mm and bring it back into line - although it does mean cutting out the transmission tunnel.

Deck 100mm between the wheel and the arch would be an inprovent over what I have at present - mine currently sits 5" above the wheel! The "Monster truck" comment is spot on - it looks bloody ridicolous at present...

Many thanks for the comments guys - as always its nice to know I'm not the only one having these problems. That said, I've become so used to the trials this car has thrown at me that even my darkest hours have been just that - hours. After a few beers I realise that I've sorted out so many other f*ck-ups that previous owners (plus the actual manufacturer (whoever the hell that was)) has made, that I know I can overcome just about anything - the moments that I've considered torching the b*gger and claiming the insurance have become less frequent! All I can say it thank god for Stella Artois - calming p*issed off cobra builders since 2004...

Kev I knew when I didn't here from you that you would be upto something viper related so dont worry! As for the wedding - what can I say? They're far to bloody complicated, too flipping expensive and are surely designed by mother-in-laws to stress out the groom to be! Looking forward to July 19th next year when it will all be over!

Regards
CeeJay.

P.s Heres a thought - surely there cant be many vipers left out there unbuilt by now - so maybe in the not too distant future this forum will be closed? Just a thought....

Hi CeeJay

I know what you're going to go through, all I can say is that it's such a sense of achievement when it's done.

Good luck

CeeJay
30-07-08, 08:40 PM
Hi CeeJay

I know what you're going to go through, all I can say is that it's such a sense of achievement when it's done.

Good luck

are we talking about the car or the wedding?

;>

CeeJay.

P.s Kev will talk to you soon mate!

steamyrotter
30-07-08, 11:05 PM
Mine was a slightly different as when fitted to the chassis with proper suspension geometry the front scraped the ground.

As a consequence i cut the inner tub out and re-mounted the body.

That gave me the chance to align it but still managed a 5mm offset on the rear!!

bit of 2x1, a ratchet strap and some creative glassing made it slightly better and i am ok with how it is now.

kevchard
31-07-08, 07:17 AM

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/general-cobra-discussion/28525-how-much.html

You were saying :) ??????

Cheers

Kevin

hfbradley01
31-07-08, 07:12 PM
are we talking about the car or the wedding?

;>

CeeJay.

P.s Kev will talk to you soon mate!

Both I suspect.....