PDA

View Full Version : radiators for cobretti vipers

coffindodger
02-09-08, 05:23 PM
just wondering what type of radiators have been used on vipercobras by others and have they been fitted upright or slanted?:confused:

Dixie
02-09-08, 06:48 PM
My rad is off of SDI rover and is fitted up right. Never had any problems with over heating.

Iain
02-09-08, 07:25 PM
My 5 core radiator was custom made for me.

Never had any problems at the Le Mans Classic this year!

Cheers...

coffindodger
03-09-08, 10:34 PM
cheers guys
i will have to investigate what i can do , when she is running on the open road the temp is fine. she gets very hot when going in the towns or heavy traffic (slow). do you run with thermostats.
ps my rads from a granada but has been modified with extra cores and a recirculating outlet to the header tank to prevent air pockets in the rad:)

Purple AK
03-09-08, 10:42 PM
cheers guys
i will have to investigate what i can do , when she is running on the open road the temp is fine. she gets very hot when going in the towns or heavy traffic (slow). do you run with thermostats.
ps my rads from a granada but has been modified with extra cores and a recirculating outlet to the header tank to prevent air pockets in the rad:)
Running without a stat will cause overheating issues as the coolant won't be directed through the rad. At what temp is the fan cutting in?

coffindodger
03-09-08, 11:11 PM
Thanks for replying chris running without a stat was just a idea, not to sure at what temp the fan cuts in as i don't have any means of testing the temp. the fan switch is not adjustable, also the temp gauge is not marked .

Purple AK
03-09-08, 11:22 PM
Thanks for replying chris running without a stat was just a idea, not to sure at what temp the fan cuts in as i don't have any means of testing the temp. the fan switch is not adjustable, also the temp gauge is not marked .
The fan switch should be marked. (Cut in. Cut out temps). But realisically unless you have it out you won't be able to read the figures as they are stamped in very small digits on it somewhere. PM me your address and IF the weather is ok over the weekend I will pop down with a laser thermometer ;)

coffindodger
03-09-08, 11:33 PM
That's a great offer, but i'm away this weekend i'll have a look at the switch and have a fiddle about. I'll let you know what i find and will get in touch. I don't want to put you to any trouble i can come up to you.
Thanks for your help, this is a very helpful club many thanks

Iain
03-09-08, 11:34 PM
I think I have an 80 degree Stat. My fan kicks in around 90 or just over. It has never got to 100 degrees yet!

As Chris said, running without a stat will cause more problems than you want.

Hope this helps!

coffindodger
09-09-08, 10:14 PM
Hi all,
have finally got around to tinkering!
removed the stat, found it had been put in in upside down which causes a air lock.
tested a few stats in a sauce pan on the cooker, got caught by the wife and had to explain myself.
installed stat which opened about 82 degrees got rid of the air locks in the system.
went for a drive in between rain showers, found that the stat seems to be operating okay, left car idling on the drive to warm her up and after stat had opened for awhile the overheat fan operated okay too.
hopefully it has cured the problem!!
when the weather is fine (some hope) i'll give her alonger run.
thanks again for all of your help and suggestions:cool:

steamyrotter
29-09-08, 12:38 AM
FYI

Sierra XR4x4 rad, slightly raked to allow body to fit.
twin fans
not set temperature probe properly yet (its on a 4-20mA loop!) but currently at 50degrees to test.