PDA

View Full Version : SVA ok

b951mwv
21-11-08, 09:16 PM
Hi guys,I hate people that brag, but my baby went through the dreaded SVA first time today,thanks to the nice man at test centre and 1, 13mm nut cover to go on starter motor solenoid main lead nut.Must say thanks to every one who has posted there fails, as with out a doubt it was your lists that made me go through my motor till I was fed up with looking at the bloody thing,anyway anyone want a set of SVA compliant hinges as that was the only thing that got swapped when I got home. Paul Jepson is a must for paperwork as it is now registered, taxed number plates on, and been driven in the cold,cant wait for the summer if we get one next year,If it aint too bad on sunday might even get down to the grass hopper, what time do you all meet on these get togethers,:D:):p:cool::-D:mrgreen:;)thanks Bob

craggle
21-11-08, 09:36 PM
Nice one Bob:mrgreen:

Might see you around in the future. Enjoy responsibly.:rolleyes:

Craig.

Purple AK
21-11-08, 09:43 PM
Well done Bob ;) 12 noon onwards at the Grasshopper :cool: We normally move off to the Woodman at Ide Hill around 1.30 ish Weather Permitting :rolleyes:

TINKA
21-11-08, 10:00 PM
Congratulations, happy motoring just take it easy to begin with :D

Miket
21-11-08, 10:03 PM
Well done Bob ;) 12 noon onwards at the Grasshopper :cool: We normally move off to the Woodman at Ide Hill around 1.30 ish Weather Permitting :rolleyes:

Have you seen the forecast for the SE :( ;)

b951mwv
21-11-08, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the advice,will take it steady,need to keep my licence,yeh weather dont look good ,as long as it aint raining im out ,longed for this moment for a long time as im sure you must still remember when you first finished your motors?8) will be well cool this weekend,:(Bob

Miket
21-11-08, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the advice,will take it steady,need to keep my licence,yeh weather dont look good ,as long as it aint raining im out ,longed for this moment for a long time as im sure you must still remember when you first finished your motors?8) will be well cool this weekend,:(Bob

Enjoy Bob, think you might be correct "will be well cool this weekend";) :D

How about some pictures in your gallery. 8)

b951mwv
21-11-08, 10:24 PM
Need some instruction on how to put pics in my gallery,good with my hands but absolutely hoplees with computers :confused:

b951mwv
21-11-08, 10:53 PM
Enjoy Bob, think you might be correct "will be well cool this weekend";) :D

How about some pictures in your gallery. 8)
With a bit of luck there may be a few pics in my gallery now but not sure how to look to find out please feel free to let me know if ive managed it Bob:eek:

craggle
21-11-08, 10:57 PM
Can't see any in your gallery pages.

If you look back at a previous post of your's there is a link to your gallery under you user name.

Click on that and near the top of the page should be a link to add photos. Click that and find your pictures to post them.

Craig.

b951mwv
21-11-08, 11:13 PM
Can't see any in your gallery pages.

If you look back at a previous post of your's there is a link to your gallery under you user name.

Click on that and near the top of the page should be a link to add photos. Click that and find your pictures to post them.

Craig.
Thanks Craig have managed it,do where sun glasss if you have a look not many pics but its late and got to get my beauty sleep,got work in the morning,thanks for your help Bob zzzzzzzzz:)

craggle
22-11-08, 07:31 AM
That's got it.:mrgreen:

Will certainly stand out in a crowd!:mrgreen:

Craig.

rpicker
22-11-08, 08:51 AM
Neat idea with the reflectors , is that ok for SVA . Got mine in december and seems like a good position for them.
Ray

GD427 383 HAUSER

b951mwv
22-11-08, 08:47 PM
Neat idea with the reflectors , is that ok for SVA . Got mine in december and seems like a good position for them.
Ray

GD427 383 HAUSER
Yeh no problem straight through,motor passed as pictures,just the boot hinges were swapped.Bob

slogger
22-11-08, 10:06 PM
Well done and now time to enjoy.

Did your paint pass the SVA noise test first time Bob? That's got to be a 180db colour at least! ;):D:D

b951mwv
23-11-08, 06:22 PM
Well done and now time to enjoy.

Did your paint pass the SVA noise test first time Bob? That's got to be a 180db colour at least! ;):D:D
LOL luckily it was over cast and a bit rainy so water droplets worked like a diffuser,but I did supply the nice SVA man with sun glasses before he actually saw it, 8);)

Nobby
24-11-08, 08:53 AM
Just been looking at your gallery. Very nice. Did you make those pipes and headers yourself? They don't look like the Pilgrim offerings. Very neat job.

Sidecarbod
24-11-08, 09:05 AM
Just been looking at your gallery. Very nice. Did you make those pipes and headers yourself? They don't look like the Pilgrim offerings. Very neat job.

"Don't look like Pilgrim offerings".....totally at the other end of the scale I'd say! Trailing arm bolt in the bottom hole too, someone has been doing their "homework" Good to see another Sumo on the road, well done, hopefully we can meet up in the "summer"..ha! :D

Pete

b951mwv
24-11-08, 05:12 PM
"Don't look like Pilgrim offerings".....totally at the other end of the scale I'd say! Trailing arm bolt in the bottom hole too, someone has been doing their "homework" Good to see another Sumo on the road, well done, hopefully we can meet up in the "summer"..ha! :D

Pete
Hi Pete yes I made the hole system,there aint a bracket on my motor that I didnt craft myself,Pilgrim stuff seems to do the job but aint very pleasing to the eye :(.Plus Im on a budget as we all are so a saving here and there means more money for fun times like petrol as the gauge on my car move lower just thinking about being started,still if I wanted it be good on fuel I would have fitted a diesel,thanks for the compliment by the way.:-D Bob.ps I really do wish Id thought of a better name than my Marlin reg.:(

b951mwv
24-11-08, 06:06 PM
Hi Nick thanks,yes I made them,luckily I spent the first 21 years working as a coded fabricator welder,which meant that no way was it going to get the things that Pilgrim call headers,but this is why it me so long to biuld.Doing loads of decorating at the mo to try and get back in the good books with the missus.;) Bob

Nobby
24-11-08, 07:39 PM
If you can weld that neatly people may start asking you to do similar stuff for their cars!! You have been warned :p

Have you done the famous 'Bum Steer Mod' :rolleyes:

Looks like your tubes are the standard length?

Pete - AKA Sidecarbod is the fount of all wisdom on this. I'll just run away and get my tin helmet now.... :p

Cheers

Sidecarbod
25-11-08, 10:04 AM
If you can weld that neatly people may start asking you to do similar stuff for their cars!! You have been warned :p

Have you done the famous 'Bum Steer Mod' :rolleyes:

Looks like your tubes are the standard length?

Pete - AKA Sidecarbod is the fount of all wisdom on this. I'll just run away and get my tin helmet now.... :p

Cheers

Actually Nick it was Gareth08 that first looked into the bumpsteer issue as far as I know. Gareth08 seems to be staying out of most of the Pilgrim threads that are running at the mo. ;)

Bob, Your car looks great and I would like to see the mods that you've done to it. If you want a hand with the bumpsteer mod (maybe just to set the tracking) then give me a shout.

Pete

b951mwv
25-11-08, 05:46 PM
No have not modded steering mount yet as I wanted to see how it drove first,especialy as the suspension is still settling.It dont seem to be too bad,but im comparing it to my marlin cabrio, which even seems to follow the bloody white lines. I drove down to Pilgrim today and froze my gooleys off to find that its all shut up,not a soul in sight.I want to find a soft top,as I dont want to have to rely on our weather and really want to get some miles on my motor to make sure its going to be reliable before next summer.I cant find any info on any on the net ? thanks Bob.

Purple AK
25-11-08, 05:56 PM
No have not modded steering mount yet as I wanted to see how it drove first,especialy as the suspension is still settling.It dont seem to be too bad,but im comparing it to my marlin cabrio, which even seems to follow the bloody white lines. I drove down to Pilgrim today and froze my gooleys off to find that its all shut up,not a soul in sight.I want to find a soft top,as I dont want to have to rely on our weather and really want to get some miles on my motor to make sure its going to be reliable before next summer.I cant find any info on any on the net ? thanks Bob.
Bob. Try a PM to Den I'm sure he said he had some on order ;) BTW he won't be in the factory till 01st December (I think)

b951mwv
25-11-08, 06:01 PM
Bob. Try a PM to Den I'm sure he said he had some on order ;) BTW he won't be in the factory till 01st December (I think)
Thanks Chris not very up with abreviations ,dont know what BTW means and not sure what Dens email thingy is could you PM it to me please thanks Bob:confused:

Purple AK
25-11-08, 06:17 PM
Thanks Chris not very up with abreviations ,dont know what BTW means and not sure what Dens email thingy is could you PM it to me please thanks Bob:confused:
Hi Bob. BTW = By The Way ;) Inbound Pm

TINKA
25-11-08, 06:17 PM

BTW is short for "by the way"

TINKA
25-11-08, 06:18 PM
You beat me there by seconds Chris :twisted: ;)

Kelly M
25-11-08, 07:32 PM
Bob,

Congratulations on the SVA pass, the car does look great.Can I take you up on the SVA hinges. Did you fit a pilgrim screen, if so did you have the screen SVA kit ? Please PM me if the SVA kit is still available.

Regards, Kelvin.

b951mwv
25-11-08, 09:10 PM
Bob,

Congratulations on the SVA pass, the car does look great.Can I take you up on the SVA hinges. Did you fit a pilgrim screen, if so did you have the screen SVA kit ? Please PM me if the SVA kit is still available.

Regards, Kelvin.Sorry mate posted them off this morning to Andy .The winscreen I used was a sva compliant auto brass screen .Bob

Sidecarbod
25-11-08, 09:31 PM

I'll tell you how it will handle.....like a bag-o-shite! You may think that its not too bad, when you do the mod you will realise that you were very wrong! :D (Ask Noel or Jeff or Chedz or Sumoboy or Seb or Alfiebeard.....)

Set the camber to 0.8 neg at normal ride ride, don't follow the crap Pilgrim instructions on this. :twisted:

Pete

b951mwv
25-11-08, 10:34 PM
I'll tell you how it will handle.....like a bag-o-shite! You may think that its not too bad, when you do the mod you will realise that you were very wrong! :D (Ask Noel or Jeff or Chedz or Sumoboy or Seb or Alfiebeard.....)

Set the camber to 0.8 neg at normal ride ride, don't follow the crap Pilgrim instructions on this. :twisted:

Pete
To be truthful I cant remember what the camber was set at, I will have a look at the geo sheet tommorow when I go down to my workshop.When people talk about altering the camber what do they do about top arm hitting the spring when suspension is right down? Bob

Sidecarbod
26-11-08, 05:24 AM
To be truthful I cant remember what the camber was set at, I will have a look at the geo sheet tommorow when I go down to my workshop.When people talk about altering the camber what do they do about top arm hitting the spring when suspension is right down? Bob

Hi Bob,

If the arm does hit the spring I presume that you are sierra based and a running short mushrooms, the only cure that I know of is to fit the taller mushrooms. Despite the fact that Den Tanner does not like them they do seem to work OK. (Chedz has them fitted and his steering is fine). The only other way to fix the problem would be to modify the arms or change the uprights. If you are Granny based you should be OK.

HTH,

Pete

b951mwv
26-11-08, 07:53 PM
[quote=Sidecarbod;274645]Hi Bob,

If the arm does hit the spring I presume that you are sierra based and a running short mushrooms, the only cure that I know of is to fit the taller mushrooms. Despite the fact that Den Tanner does not like them they do seem to work OK. (Chedz has them fitted and his steering is fine). The only other way to fix the problem would be to modify the arms or change the uprights. If you are Granny based you should be OK.

HTH,
Checked to see what my camber was today,couldnt find the geo printout sheet but my camber looks to be about 1.5 degrees,when you say 0.8 are you talking about degrees or 0.8mm from top of wheel to bottom of wheel. Thanks Bob:confused:

Sidecarbod
26-11-08, 08:03 PM
[quote=Sidecarbod;274645]Hi Bob,

HTH,
Checked to see what my camber was today,couldnt find the geo printout sheet but my camber looks to be about 1.5 degrees,when you say 0.8 are you talking about degrees or 0.8mm from top of wheel to bottom of wheel. Thanks Bob:confused:

Hi Bob,

I was talking about 0.8 degrees negative camber not 0.8mm difference top to bottom.

I can tell you how I measured this with a simple tool that I made if you need to know.

Regards,

Pete

b951mwv
26-11-08, 08:52 PM
[quote=b951mwv;274745]

Hi Bob,

I was talking about 0.8 degrees negative camber not 0.8mm difference top to bottom.

I can tell you how I measured this with a simple tool that I made if you need to know.

Regards,

Pete
That would be great as im not at work thursday,wife at work so I could sneak down and have a play,as long as I get some decorating done a bit sharpish,got a lot of creeping to do,been getting some reel hassle whilst biulding my motor over the past 2 years. Thanks for the help by the way,its real nice chatting to you lot cant wait to meet some peeps face to face,Bob:-D

Sidecarbod
27-11-08, 11:26 AM
[quote=Sidecarbod;274753]
That would be great as im not at work thursday,wife at work so I could sneak down and have a play,as long as I get some decorating done a bit sharpish,got a lot of creeping to do,been getting some reel hassle whilst biulding my motor over the past 2 years. Thanks for the help by the way,its real nice chatting to you lot cant wait to meet some peeps face to face,Bob:-D

When I get home I'll put up a post on how I measured this, its real "heath robinson" technology but it does use some simple basic maths which means that it does work! In fact I think that I did post up something about it in the past, it's basically a plumb weight and a striaght edge which must be a certain length long.

I know what you mean about "sneaking about!"

Pete

Noel
27-11-08, 04:00 PM
Hi Bob, Pete's right (as usual :rolleyes: :D :D) I thought my car handled pretty well and it definitely handled a lot better than most of the Sumo's without the mods. But after the mod's it was a complete different kettle of fish. I remember Pete saying that they were good for an extra 20mph round a corner and I believe that is a fairly accurate statement.

I was following Pete home the other day in a new 3 series beemer and there is absolutely no way I could keep up with him in any corner, my heart was in my mouth several times (but that could just be Pete's driving ;) :p :D)

Sidecarbod
27-11-08, 05:14 PM
(but that could just be Pete's driving ;) :p :D)

You git!....In all honesty I wasn't really pushing it that hard, Nick would have messed up my nice leather seats if I'd gone too quick. I'm not boasting about my driving skills, it's more a case of cobs are deceptively quick. :D

Pete

Noel
27-11-08, 05:25 PM
Yes, if you remember Nick's son who could not keep up with us in his ST24 and as far as we knew we were just poodling along :confused:

We must have been as Nick and Chedz were also driving :p

b951mwv
27-11-08, 05:29 PM
Hi Bob, Pete's right (as usual :rolleyes: :D :D) I thought my car handled pretty well and it definitely handled a lot better than most of the Sumo's without the mods. But after the mod's it was a complete different kettle of fish. I remember Pete saying that they were good for an extra 20mph round a corner and I believe that is a fairly accurate statement.

I was following Pete home the other day in a new 3 series beemer and there is absolutely no way I could keep up with him in any corner, my heart was in my mouth several times (but that could just be Pete's driving ;) :p :D)
Yeh im looking forward to doing these mods and trying it all out, does sound good to me Bob

Sidecarbod
27-11-08, 06:12 PM
[quote=Sidecarbod;274753]

Right, this is how I measured the camber, it sounds crappy but it does work! (It's just maths at the end of the day)

First off you have to get the chassis level from left to right, you can not use a spirit level cross the chassis member just behind the rad, it's not level even when the rest of the chassis is.

1. Set the ride height at the front by adjusting the preload collars on the springs. Then measure from the floor up to the top of suspension upright. (The rectangular box section near the shock). Measure this on both sides of the car and adjust the preload collars to get both sides the same. It can take quite a while to get both measurements the same but it is important. Bounce and roll the car after each adjustment. The end result might be that if you measure from the bodywork to the floor on both sides of the car it might be slightly different....there is nothing that you can do about this, the chassis is the thing that MUST be level. DON'T set the preload so loose so that at full droop the spring keepers can fall out.

2. The car now has to be up on blocks that are underneath each front lower wishbone, the front wheels need to be removed. The two blocks must form a horizontal platform even if the floor is not horizontal. (Therefore they might actually be slightly different heights to each other).
To make sure that they are horizontal to each other space them out JUST infront of the wishbones, place a long straight edge from one to the other then place a spirit level on the straight edge. Pack up the lower one so that they make the straight horizontal. whatever you use as packing must be able to take the weight of the car without compressing!

3. Jack up the car, remove the wheels, slide the blocks under the wishbones then lower the car onto the blocks. Be aware that as the suspension compresses the wishbones will move out and can cause the supporting blocks to sort of roll over. Try to avoid the car sitting on the ends of the bolts that hold the lower shock mount in place.

4. Right, the front of the car must be level now, even if a spirit level across the chassis cross member indicates otherwise.

5. You need to make a plumb weight and that is tied to one end of a straight edge that is 57cm long. Use an L section bar and make sure that the knot is right along one edge of the bar. Use a fine thread like fishing line or something. The length of the bar is important, it is the radius of a circle that has a circumference which is 360cm (Give or take 2cm!) This means that every 1cm round the circumference is worth 1 degree.

6. Make sure that the steering is in the straight ahead position then clamp the straight edge to the brake disc using a crappy G clamp or something.

7. Now if the the cord is IN 8mm from the edge of the bar so that it nearer the brake disc then there must be 0.8 of a degree negative camber. Using the tool you can certainly measure to within 2mm and therefore 0.2 of a degree. Use the top ball joint to make the required adjustments. Any camber adjustment that you make will mess up the front toe!

In MY opinion the build manual should show you how to carry out the above along with some diagrams and pictures. The method does work and is in keeping with the "spirit" of building kit cars.

Regards,

Pete

Sidecarbod
27-11-08, 06:13 PM
We must have been as Nick and Chedz were also driving :p

LOL :D:D:D

b951mwv
27-11-08, 06:53 PM
Thanks Pete have a real good idea of what to do to check,shame im working away from friday morning till late monday night, so wont be able to have a play till next week,still gives me somthing to think about,will let you know what your little camber tool says my camber is.Going down the garage to make up said tool before the missus gets back from work,thanks mate Bob:)

Nobby
28-11-08, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Noel http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/loan-forum/30104-sva-ok-post274926.html#post274926)
We must have been as Nick and Chedz were also driving :razz:

LOL :grin::grin::grin:

Have you two thought about a career in comedy? :rolleyes:

craggle
28-11-08, 08:01 PM
Bob

Have a quick read of this thread. http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/dax-technical-questions/29572-dax-rear-camber.html

There is a link on post 17 to a camber gauge you can print and there is a photo showing me checking my Dax Camber.

Craig.

b951mwv
30-11-08, 09:01 PM
Bob

Have a quick read of this thread. http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/dax-technical-questions/29572-dax-rear-camber.html

There is a link on post 17 to a camber gauge you can print and there is a photo showing me checking my Dax Camber.

Craig.Thats fantastic Ive seen one of them before somewhere along time ago cant remember where,dont think I even realised what it was for thanks Craig will have some fun checking all my cambers,not sure I really want to see how bad they really are with my own eyes Bob:D I love this forum

b951mwv
21-12-08, 06:20 PM
Have reset my cambers and given the motor a run ,as you all say yes without a doubt so much better.Checked kpi and this is 14 degrees which I believe is what ford granadas are so have not changed also I dont seem to have the bump steer thing that so many people talk about.Just need to get the engine running a bit smoother and finish the roof off,then take the missus out for a run .Thanks for the tips Bob :D