PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Stabiliser

Martyn-ak427
25-11-08, 09:31 PM
Guys,

I bought a votlage stabaliser, (how ever the hell you spell it!) for my dash instruments from Europa, however the flippin things goosed already even before it has the been used in anger. Can anyone recoomend one of these things that will last longer than 12 months?

Regards,

Martyn

wilf
26-11-08, 10:46 AM
They don't like being connected up the wrong way around!

They are all the same - just buy the cheapest one you can find. Little tiny zener diode package these days - I remember when they were proper mechanical thingies..............:rolleyes:

Noel
26-11-08, 10:50 AM
Guys,

I bought a votlage stabaliser, (how ever the hell you spell it!)

Martyn

Well it's definitely not that way Martin :p :D :D

And as Wilf says.............

andicole0
26-11-08, 10:52 AM
Got mine from Merlin (http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p1306/SMITHS-VOLTAGE-STABILISER/product_info.html) IIRC.

Andi.

oglyoodoo
26-11-08, 09:30 PM
Can anyone recoomend one of these things that will last longer than 12 months?

Martyn

Yes I can. It just depends how handy you are with a Soldering iron. The Smiths device that came with my GD bits I took apart out of curiosity. A zener diode, a transistor and a couple of resistors inside the little can. No short circuit protection, no reverse polarity protection etc, frankly it is a pretty poor device for use in a vehicle. That said, once installed correctly they do seem pretty reliable. I have an original Smiths unit in another car that's been on the road for over 30 years.
In my view the best alternative 10V regulator is an LM2940 monolithic Voltage regulator made by National Semiconductor.

LM2940 - 1A Low Dropout Regulator (http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM2940.html)

From the site....."Designed also for vehicular applications, the LM2940/LM2940C and all regulated circuitry are protected from reverse battery installations or 2-battery jumps. During line transients, such as load dump when the input voltage can momentarily exceed the specified maximum operating voltage, the regulator will automatically shut down to protect both the internal circuits and the load. The LM2940/LM2940C cannot be harmed by temporary mirror-image insertion. Familiar regulator features such as short circuit and thermal overload protection are also provided. "

They are readily available in 10V versions. I have used dozens of these in various paying design projects including many for motor racing. Never had a failure yet. If you feel like having a go Martyn PM me and I'll send you a sample..

Denis

realyweely
27-11-08, 08:17 AM
I used one from this company on a friends kitand found it worked well
Semiconductor Voltage Stabilizer- TR4 TR5 TR6 Dolomite on eBay, also, Triumph, Classic Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 05-Dec-08 20:44:59 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Semiconductor-Voltage-Stabilizer-TR4-TR5-TR6-Dolomite_W0QQitemZ280289041184QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item28028904 1184&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318)

Habitualvoyeur
06-10-11, 10:11 AM
I now own Martyns AK and am having some electrical issues.......
On sunday when the car was idling the rev counter droped to zero and the ammeter shot up to 50+
as soon as the revs went back on every thing went back to normal. Eventually after this had happened several times it blew the 15amp fuse for all the dash instruments, I replaced the fuseb and it did it again. Yesterday when idling it blew the lights fuse when I attempted to put on the side lights. Is this the voltage regulator as per the above post ???? Cheers Neil

Geezer
06-10-11, 10:25 AM
I now own Martyns AK and am having some electrical issues.......
On sunday when the car was idling the rev counter droped to zero and the ammeter shot up to 50+
as soon as the revs went back on every thing went back to normal. Eventually after this had happened several times it blew the 15amp fuse for all the dash instruments, I replaced the fuseb and it did it again. Yesterday when idling it blew the lights fuse when I attempted to put on the side lights. Is this the voltage regulator as per the above post ???? Cheers Neil

Hi Neil.

Nope. This is about a Voltage Regulator/Stabiliser to supply 10v to the gauges. Start a new thread with your problems, which will then gain more attention, and I am sure it will get sorted soonest...

craggle
06-10-11, 10:39 AM
Sounds like the alternator regulator is possibly dead, Maybe you have a local auto electricians you could speak too and get it tested but with +50 amps on the gauge, I wouldn't be running that engine until it's been checked, Electrical fires are not fun things! :-(

Craig.

Habitualvoyeur
06-10-11, 11:01 AM
Thanks for that Guys, I will contact an "auto sparky" !
The first fuse took ages before it blew - melted the whole thing, I had no trouble finding the fuse box - followed the smoke signals !

My introduction to Cobra ownership has been a bit fraught so far..... in 100 miles (2 weeks) I have had the thermostat housing gasket go (sorted), the hand brake fail (outstanding), and now the electrics !

Cheers Neil

I will post some pictures eventually on a newbie thread....

cobracol
06-10-11, 11:50 AM
im with Craig, Sounds like the alternator or at least the voltage regulator inside it, is discombobulated (Fu***D), you can have these checked at a local spares shop, unless the problem is intermitant like i had on my capri one time, either way....