PDA

View Full Version : IVA-inspection manual for M1 cars

lumberjack
07-12-08, 07:06 PM
Just been surfing looking at IVA as not sure if my build is going to be completed before IVA
so found this and thought you guys and girls got to be pc might find it interesting.
Individual Vehicle Approval Inspection Manuals (http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/vehicledealershipsandimporters/isocertificationandtypeapproval/individualvehicleapprovalinspectionmanuals.htm)

probably listed on here before but with my old works computer takes forever to find anything.
Enjoy
Paul

kitcarman
09-12-08, 04:11 PM
1. The exhaust system must be securely mounted.
2. Exhaust system components must be secure.
3. There must be no leaks from the exhaust system. See note 1
4. The exhaust system must be fitted with a silencer.
5. The measured sound level must not exceed 99dbA.
6. There must be no exposed part of the vehicle manifold, header pipes,
silencer or Catalyst that can be contacted with a 100mm sphere. See
note 2

Emmmmm,
They slipped number 6 in somewhat slyly – me thinks!

seph
09-12-08, 04:19 PM
Does this mean sidepipes will fail then?

dave
09-12-08, 05:17 PM
I think some nice radiused edged heat shields will be in order that cover all the way to where the exhausts exit the bodywork.

Purple AK
09-12-08, 05:21 PM
Emmmmm,
They slipped number 6 in somewhat slyly – me thinks!
Very "Under the Radar" !!! :mad: :shock: :evil:

Miket
09-12-08, 05:25 PM
Sh1t, the 7 guys are going to be in trouble, never mind Cob builds. :(

I think the Manufacturers need to get a definitive answer. :confused: :confused:

Clive
09-12-08, 05:31 PM
Underslung exhausts are gaining in popularity! :p

Miket
09-12-08, 05:34 PM
Underslung exhausts are gaining in popularity! :p

Yes, but what happens if you run over somebody who has a 100mm sphere in his hand. :confused: ;) :D

seph
09-12-08, 05:38 PM
This new IVA is really putting me off building one. I really want sidepipes on mine. May have to buy one already done, but I really don't want to do that. I am going to have to hang on and wait untill all these new rules are clear and set in stone.

Paul

Clive
09-12-08, 05:40 PM
Yes, but what happens if you run over somebody who has a 100mm sphere in his hand. :confused: ;) :D

Balls! :twisted:

nuf_said
09-12-08, 05:43 PM
Let's see the heat shields the motor bike manufacturers will have to design. I know they don't have to have IVA (since they are mass builders) but they do have the same safety standards, I hope.
Nuf Said

lumberjack
09-12-08, 09:58 PM
Okay a question for those in the know, is there still the old STATUS regime runing amongst the Kit car manufacturers who we could lobby to voice our objections as this thing states it's a draft.
P***d off with nanny state rules. It's taken long enough to get her indoors to agree to the cobra build going ahead , finally got the okay at exeter this year even stu e was my witness lol , but seriously going to louse up my plans if the Transport Office have anything to do with it.
Paul

Purple AK
09-12-08, 10:16 PM
Okay a question for those in the know, is there still the old STATUS regime runing amongst the Kit car manufacturers who we could lobby to voice our objections as this thing states it's a draft.
P***d off with nanny state rules. It's taken long enough to get her indoors to agree to the cobra build going ahead , finally got the okay at exeter this year even stu e was my witness lol , but seriously going to louse up my plans if the Transport Office have anything to do with it.
Paul
Den Was a Member. Den....?? Yes this is a Draft but as far as I can see it's the last draft before the final manual!! And a typical Government Tactic of sliding one in under the radar in the hope we wouldn't notice till it was too late!!! I did warn you all about "Careless Talk" :(

383 stroker
09-12-08, 11:08 PM

He's going to be bloody annoyed!:rolleyes::-D

steve ferguson
09-12-08, 11:45 PM
beginning to wonder why I started, any more goal post moves and I may as well give up on my dream and build a prius replica instead, Already got sidepipes and seats with no headrests :sad:

kitcarman
10-12-08, 09:28 AM
Den Was a Member. Den....?? Yes this is a Draft but as far as I can see it's the last draft before the final manual!! And a typical Government Tactic of sliding one in under the radar in the hope we wouldn't notice till it was too late!!! I did warn you all about "Careless Talk" :(

Can you put forward your best arguments please?

I'm going to launch a challenge!

I need logical input from you guys.

Best I’ve herd so far is

Let's see the heat shields the motor bike manufacturers will have to design. I know they don't have to have IVA (since they are mass builders) but they do have the same safety standards, I hope.
Nuf Said

Which I’d re-render to “Given that approved motor cycles have exposed exhaust components, then why shouldn’t kit cars be able to have exposed exhausts? Particularly kit cars which utilise motor cycle engines?”

At the least, I’ll also want to know about ‘transition’ arrangements.
I want to know what is going to be done for Steve (amongst others) given that he has already purchased and fitted side pipes, cut holes, etc. Then this new legislation comes in without a word of warning…… can’t be right – can it?

GASAXE
10-12-08, 09:57 AM
Wait a bit longer and the emmisions will be the next thing, somthing to think about? it will be cats all the way in no time at all, its just obvious, this iva thing comes under european rules. Thin end of the wedge.

Geoff

realyweely
10-12-08, 10:00 AM
Wait a bit longer and the emmisions will be the next thing, somthing to think about? it will be cats all the way in no time at all, its just obvious, this iva thing comes under european rules. Thin end of the wedge.
Geoff

I heard whispers of Side impact protection too.:twisted:

lutman
10-12-08, 10:01 AM
One way for those in build close to finish - but will cost - is to put the incomplete car through SVA prior Feb/09, let it fail, you then have 6 months of SVA rules to fix it.
If testing after Feb/09 IVA rules apply for initial and retests.

peterol1
10-12-08, 10:07 AM
I will support any lobby directed towards this new IVA ruling.
I find myself in the unfortunate position, I'm sure like many others, that have already invested heavily in side pipes and had them fitted. However due to that nice Mr Holmes was not able to finish my build as planned this year as he took my money and forgot to deliver...!!
That means earliest I can get a test is mid summer and that means more aggro.

I can hear my wifes dolcet tones echoing in my head...."I told you not to build the bloody thing, it will nothing but trouble....!!!"

let's hope she is not proved right this time.

Pete O

Clive
10-12-08, 10:41 AM
I heard whispers of Side impact protection too.:twisted:

Side Impact Protection is already covered in the SVA. (Enhanced Requirements E.14c)

johnnyp
10-12-08, 10:49 AM
Think the other tack to take is that it appears there is no period for those that bought SVA compliant kits just before IVA was announced to complete them with out incorporating IVA changes, if i remember correctly when SVA was brought in there was an amnesty for kits bought before the announcement as long as they were completed before a certain time period this seems not to be the case now!

Grrrrr dont think my DAX will even accept underslungs, then what?? wonder if VOSA will reimburse me to the tune of about £15k spent so far:twisted:

realyweely
10-12-08, 11:01 AM
Side Impact Protection is already covered in the SVA. (Enhanced Requirements E.14c)

But those requirements arent required for a normal Kitcar SVA are they ?

andicole0
10-12-08, 11:03 AM

I thought my side impact protection was my exposed sidepipes :rolleyes:

Andi.

lumberjack
10-12-08, 11:59 AM
Can you put forward your best arguments please?

I'm going to launch a challenge!

I need logical input from you guys.

Best I’ve herd so far is

Which I’d re-render to “Given that approved motor cycles have exposed exhaust components, then why shouldn’t kit cars be able to have exposed exhausts? Particularly kit cars which utilise motor cycle engines?”

At the least, I’ll also want to know about ‘transition’ arrangements.
I want to know what is going to be done for Steve (amongst others) given that he has already purchased and fitted side pipes, cut holes, etc. Then this new legislation comes in without a word of warning…… can’t be right – can it?

Hi Den you could also use the argument of stack exposed exhausts on articulated lorries , radiusing on exposed exhaust tailpipes raised exhaust outlets to 4x4's and radiusing of bicycle pedals as surely all road users should conform also moped / scooter exhausts.
regards Paul

seph
10-12-08, 01:04 PM
This sidepipe rule has really put me off building one now. The other new and revised rules I was perfectly happy with. I don't want to buy one already done, but it may be my only option. I don't want an underslung system before anyone suggests it.

I feel so sorry for people who have bought kits and already installed sidepipes and now may have to ditch them.

When will the final draft be made available? This IVA is seriously ruining the chance of my dream of building one.

Paul

383 stroker
10-12-08, 01:24 PM
My understanding is that it will fall under SVA upto April 2009 so long as applications are received before 28 February 2009. Have the goalposts been moved by the governing bodies again? Hope not as i sent my paperwork off several days ago for an end of February test!

wilf
10-12-08, 01:26 PM
Guys - just be grateful that VOSA are standing up for you all and doing their best to get Europe to continue what is in actuality an exemption system. No other European country has it, remember.

The sidepipe contact requirement issue is easily achieved with a simple mesh cover. Stop over-reacting!

The rules will be what they are - we have always found ways to comply and we always will do.

lutman
10-12-08, 01:44 PM
Guys - just be grateful that VOSA are standing up for you all and doing their best to get Europe to continue what is in actuality an exemption system. No other European country has it, remember.

The sidepipe contact requirement issue is easily achieved with a simple mesh cover. Stop over-reacting!

The rules will be what they are - we have always found ways to comply and we always will do.

Well put Wilf, its no different in principle than having a different non SVA fuel cap or quick lift jacks. A method of compliance is always found.If at a later stage the compliance part, such as an exhaust heat shield or body work fairing should get damaged and fall off then temporarily its the same as other models that have passed the SVA and it would take an extremely eagle eyed policeman or MOT tester to spot the difference !!

steve ferguson
10-12-08, 02:05 PM

To be honest its more of a 2 steps forward, 3 back issue for me than, over-reacting, given the current lovely warm weather, an enthusiasm thing as well ;)

Dutch Paul
10-12-08, 02:27 PM
If at a later stage the compliance part, such as an exhaust heat shield or body work fairing should get damaged and fall off then temporarily its the same as other models that have passed the SVA and it would take an extremely eagle eyed policeman or MOT tester to spot the difference !!

It`s comments like these on public forums that lead to new, more stringent rules being enforced. This isn`t a direct moan at the above quoted post, but most of us (me included in the past) have posted similar comments which are picked up on by the spies amongst us (he seems to have disappeared since he "came out"):rolleyes:
Please guys, think before clicking submit. :confused::confused:

wilf
10-12-08, 03:50 PM
To be honest its more of a 2 steps forward, 3 back issue for me than, over-reacting, given the current lovely warm weather, an enthusiasm thing as well ;)

Fergie - I can totally understand your frustration, you just have to stick with it. If you want to hear of a "triumphed against all odds" Cobra build, you should talk with Iain here. I really don't know how he stuck with his Viper build, but he did, and you should see the smile on his face when he drives it these days.

Personally, I am glad I don't have an unfinished Cobra sitting in my garage right now, but I did go through pain when I did mine. Maybe a little less as Crendons do build easily.;)

steve ferguson
10-12-08, 05:28 PM
Maybe a little less as Crendons do build easily.;)

When I win the lottery later ;) :D

KevinW
10-12-08, 06:21 PM
It`s comments like these on public forums that lead to new, more stringent rules being enforced. This isn`t a direct moan at the above quoted post, but most of us (me included in the past) have posted similar comments which are picked up on by the spies amongst us (he seems to have disappeared since he "came out"):rolleyes:
Please guys, think before clicking submit. :confused::confused:

Moderation in all things is needed, especially here! :-(
Careless talk costs £££££.

And as an IVA candidate for sure, I personally intend to vitriolicly slag off anyone carelessly posting from here on in.
I'm now done with politely pm-ing people.

luv'n'kisses

Kevin

kitcarman
10-12-08, 07:08 PM
I can hear my wife’s dulcet tones echoing in my head...."I told you not to build the bloody thing, it will nothing but trouble....!!!"

let's hope she is not proved right this time.

Pete O

I can’t see that argument working at VOSA somehow.

…. it appears there is no period for those that bought SVA compliant kits just before IVA was announced to complete them with out incorporating IVA changes….

I feel so sorry for people who have bought kits and already installed sidepipes and now may have to ditch them.

Paul

Good points…. More wanted!

I’m going to be writing to VOSA and seeking a Judicial Review if I’m not satisfied with their response…. So please keep your points flowing.

dave
10-12-08, 07:12 PM
I'm with Wilf on this one. A simple heat shield will sort it out, no big deal really.

Lorries and motorcycles have their own requirements, so I doubt the VOSA people will give up any ground too easily. I'm amazed that the exhausts weren't hit with SVA way back when.... They are bloody dangerous after all, the collectors especially.
You notice these things when you have a Cobra sat in the drive fresh from a blast and a toddler wandering playing in the garden. The words "Disfigured for life" spring to mind.:(:(
eventually there will be some very tasteful heat shields/covers on the market.;)

Having now read Den's last post:-
I think that is the only realistic way forward, after all the production car manufacturers are told well in advance of any changes of legislation to allow them time to impliment it.
And as the IVA manual is only a draft then we still don't haver a final decuision with only a couple of months to go before the SVA cut off date.