PDA

View Full Version : gauges(smiths or a n other)

pete knighton
17-12-08, 12:05 PM
hi all, does anyone know the best place to get full set cobra style gauges i know smiths might be the best but is there any others anyone can recommend, pete

Lloyd Barnes
17-12-08, 12:10 PM
hi all, does anyone know the best place to get full set cobra style gauges i know smiths might be the best but is there any others anyone can recommend, pete

got mine from Speedy cables. Arrived in a few days, good price (they are based close by the factory in Abercraf, perhaps they have a special deal?), and they can help with figuring out the correct senders for your engine block etc. Nothing looks quite the same as proper Smiths gauges to my mind, although mine are electric and the mechanical full sweep gauges do look even better I think :-) prices and details are on their website

Russ-Notts
17-12-08, 01:07 PM

Pete,
Europa have a good selection but they are not the cheapest supplier. https://www.europaspares.com/INSTRUMENTS/
They are not to far away in Burton, just off the A50 I believe.
Russ.

Clive
17-12-08, 01:10 PM
Caerbont make them, here's their distributors. UK Distributors (http://www.caigauge.com/page32.html) ;)

Miket
17-12-08, 01:28 PM
There's also ETB, excellent product and there back up service is second to none. ;)

Welcome to ETB Instruments Website (http://www.etbinstruments.com/)

pete knighton
17-12-08, 02:46 PM
thanks guys, went to europa yesterday got some lights ,handles etc ,gauges are all about same price give and take a few quid,cheapest ive seen are from etb but there not smiths miket did you get yours from etb?,can`t make my mind up what colour to have , any thoughts ?, cream leather trimming, pete

Miket
17-12-08, 04:08 PM
Yes mine are ETB, trouble free for the past 6 years, I also had them on my previous Sumo, which again where trouble free. ;) ;)

IMHO you have got to go for the black faces, I don't think any other colour suits a Cobra, whatever the trim colour.

KevinW
17-12-08, 04:13 PM
Not cheap, but look good, IMO.

427 Cobra Gauges (http://www.thomaskirkham.com/gauges.html)

i beleive these are electric gauges, but use of a stepper motor meansd they can do the full sweep that only the mechanical ones can achieve.

I agree, all the currrent Smiths copies look very clumsy compared to the finesse of the original gauges. The current needles are too fat, particualrly the electric gauges, the lettering is clumsy, and the bezels look cheap (except the kirkham ones) compared to the way the originals were pressed, which is a great shame.

dingocooke
17-12-08, 05:16 PM
Not cheap, but look good, IMO.

427 Cobra Gauges (http://www.thomaskirkham.com/gauges.html)

i beleive these are electric gauges, but use of a stepper motor meansd they can do the full sweep that only the mechanical ones can achieve.

I agree, all the currrent Smiths copies look very clumsy compared to the finesse of the original gauges. The current needles are too fat, particularly the electric gauges, the lettering is clumsy, and the bezels look cheap (except the kirkham ones) compared to the way the originals were pressed, which is a great shame.

As an aside, I think the current kirkham ones say 'kirkham' not smiths; I think Paul changed his or was talking of doing. For me Smiths mechanical look the best (best as in most period correct) although odd guages do tend to mist up sometimes. I think ETB are the best practical guage. I disliked the smiths electric guages on my old hawk, the lcd readout for the mileometer was such a standout it spoilt the dash (I used to stick a dealers 'disregard the mileage' sticker over it lol)

The 1960's smiths guages have much nicer bezels (non sva compliant yes, but nicer) than the rounded bezels on the current ones (like those in my car), and the quality of the guage face printing is far far superior in the 1960s guages IMHO. But i think the current smiths mechanicals are a good compromise; depends what you want I guess, theyre not bling, and maybe a cream interior would look nice with another guage face colour??

One mans meat and all that!!

enjoy choosing!!

pete knighton
17-12-08, 05:54 PM
Yes mine are ETB, trouble free for the past 6 years, I also had them on my previous Sumo, which again where trouble free. ;) ;)

IMHO you have got to go for the black faces, I don't think any other colour suits a Cobra, whatever the trim colour.

yep i think black is the colour just ordered them from ETB

Andy302
17-12-08, 06:05 PM
As an aside, I think the current kirkham ones say 'kirkham' not smiths;

Just to let you know, I discussed these gauges with the seller in the US. The gauges come without logo and the bezels screw on and off, they can therefore probably be modified to meet IVA.

HTH

dave
17-12-08, 06:13 PM
Just to let you know, I discussed these gauges with the seller in the US. The gauges come without logo and the bezels screw on and off, they can therefore probably be modified to meet IVA.

HTH

I have a set of compliant bezels that came as spares for the Kirkham that I have in at the moment.;)

Larry N. Johnson
17-12-08, 07:03 PM
AutoMeter make a Cobra Replica set.
have used 6 seasons; no issues except clock replace.
Smith's replicas.
many places to buy, here is one. (http://www.egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?Series=Cobra)

I went w Volts instead of Amps
Fuel Level instead of pressure
Clock instead of Oil Temp.

Hope this helps.

dave
17-12-08, 07:42 PM
Some Kirkhan gauges "Day and night".

KevinW
17-12-08, 07:50 PM
I think Larrys autometer ones look pretty damn good - just missing a smiths logo.
I have never liked what i;ve seen from autometer in the past, but have now changed my mind.

Steve - I think the closest rim you can tget on the caerbont smiths is the full V. Not sva compliant, but the closest you can get to the original slightly dished well executed V-ish shape. (I am turning into a real saddo - wtf am I doing ranting about rims?)

btw Those kirkham ones dont have kirkham written on them.

Andy302
17-12-08, 08:02 PM
Nice one Dave,

The night illumination and full electric option is the main reason why these are no.1 on my gauge wish list.

Cheers

dave
17-12-08, 08:02 PM
btw Those kirkham ones dont have kirkham written on them.

Which Kirkham ones? The ones in my post do, the big gauges have the Kirkham logo too.

FatBoy
18-12-08, 11:11 PM
Which Kirkham ones? The ones in my post do, the big gauges have the Kirkham logo too.

..but I've just swapped mine for a set without the logos. :cool:

dingocooke
18-12-08, 11:18 PM
...its my only gripe with kirkham (as a nonbuying outsider!); current kirkhams seem to have that bloody K everywhere whereas the older ones didnt; ok they ought to be proud of what theyve done, but to me the kirkham branding just spoils the replication job IMHO

OE style mech Smiths guages just look so right to me.

Andy302
19-12-08, 06:46 AM
Just to let you know, I discussed these gauges with the seller in the US. The gauges come without logo

Current gauges can be purchased without logo, manufacturer was quite adamant about that!

FatBoy
19-12-08, 07:23 AM
Current gauges can be purchased without logo, manufacturer was quite adamant about that!

That's what I now have in my Cobra, so I can confirm it as fact.

Kirkham 427SC
20-12-08, 04:49 PM
True, the electronic gauges can be purchased with or without the "K" logo. I have them for my car and they will be very nice. The fact they are all electronic makes them much more reliable. All the small lights: high beam, regulator light, signal lights, and fuel level are built into the gauges. Making the dash much cleaner. Here are some pictures of my dash ready to go into the car. If you want any other closer pictures taken let me know and I would be happy to take them for you. I had Autometer Gauges in my last build and I had problems with the water temp gauge and then the next owner had to change it out a second time. There have also been problems with needles falling off. I think they addressed these problems, but if I were needing a set I would go with the Kirkham ones. I think mine have the K on them, but since I have a K car that doesn't bother me.
HTH,
Todd

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/cobratodd/100_1348.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/cobratodd/100_1349.jpg

Andy302
20-12-08, 05:02 PM
Hi Todd,

Nice job. Is there any chance you could post up a really close picture of the gauge bezel so we can see what profile it has?

I didnt realise the warning lights were also in the gauges.

Many thanks

cobraeddie
20-12-08, 05:31 PM
Purists here across the pond tend to stick with Smiths for originality. While everyone knows they have some quirks, they still bring back the 60's. Saying that, Autometer seems to have caught on due to their similarity and the lights are much, much brighter. I have had Smiths on both my cars and they have never been very bright. I even upgraded the bulbs using Holdens replacements, some improvement, but not blinding.
The Autometer issues have gone away. Someone told me the clock they offer for their Cobra set doesn't have a light facility.
I would use whatever makes you happy. Of course, we don't have any issues like you do with bezels, etc.

Just my 2 pence

Mark

dingocooke
20-12-08, 05:37 PM
True, the electronic gauges can be purchased with or without the "K" logo. I have them for my car and they will be very nice. The fact they are all electronic makes them much more reliable. All the small lights: high beam, regulator light, signal lights, and fuel level are built into the gauges. Making the dash much cleaner. Here are some pictures of my dash ready to go into the car. If you want any other closer pictures taken let me know and I would be happy to take them for you. I had Autometer Gauges in my last build and I had problems with the water temp gauge and then the next owner had to change it out a second time. There have also been problems with needles falling off. I think they addressed these problems, but if I were needing a set I would go with the Kirkham ones. I think mine have the K on them, but since I have a K car that doesn't bother me.
HTH,
Todd

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/cobratodd/100_1348.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/cobratodd/100_1349.jpg

They look nice, although I dont care for the LCD panel in the speedo for trip and mileage; It's purely a personal thing, but Im not keen on electric guages; seen too many electric temp and oil 'p' guages displaying nonsense values; of course thats a set up thing as well.

craggle
20-12-08, 05:39 PM
Just thought I'd mention that my Dax got through the SVA test OK with the Vee bezels on the Smiths gauges.
All you need is a dash surround that is padded so it is higher than the gauges themselves. I made one from plastic sheet, foam and some cheap vinyl material. It was made to fit around all the gauges and was held in place with double sided tape.
If your's happens to fall off after SVA then just stick it back on again!:rolleyes:

Craig.

FatBoy
20-12-08, 06:03 PM
They look nice, although I dont care for the LCD panel in the speedo for trip and mileage; It's purely a personal thing, but Im not keen on electric guages; seen too many electric temp and oil 'p' guages displaying nonsense values; of course thats a set up thing as well.

The LCD panel is a multi-function display and also includes a fuel level guage as Kirkham Cobras have a fuel pressure rather than level guage as per original 427 S/C. I've not used other electronic guages, but the Kirkham speedo is also very easy to calibrate. You simply put it into calibration mode, drive exactly 2 miles and cancel calibration mode. Job done. I then double checked it with a TomTom and it was spot on.
They don't have the ultimate period look of the Smiths guages, but they do work and they are accurate.

Paul

dingocooke
20-12-08, 06:32 PM
The LCD panel is a multi-function display and also includes a fuel level guage as Kirkham Cobras have a fuel pressure rather than level guage as per original 427 S/C. I've not used other electronic guages, but the Kirkham speedo is also very easy to calibrate. You simply put it into calibration mode, drive exactly 2 miles and cancel calibration mode. Job done. I then double checked it with a TomTom and it was spot on.
They don't have the ultimate period look of the Smiths guages, but they do work and they are accurate.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Yes useful no doubt, but for me too modern looking in a such an authentic car trying to replicate a sixties period car; there's more processing power in that speedo than Mission control had on the first apollo mission. For me its like looking at a well built Triton or Norvin with a modern pushbike speedo on the top yoke...it needs a chronometric or two LOL 8)

For a cobra I like to see a proper pair of Mileometer tumblers; old fashioned yes, I dont want em in my modern beemer, but on the cobra would not want anything else!

Still be boring if we all liked the same thing wouldnt it!!!!!!!

FatBoy
20-12-08, 08:43 PM
Hi Paul,
Yes useful no doubt, but for me too modern looking in a such an authentic car trying to replicate a sixties period car; there's more processing power in that speedo than Mission control had on the first apollo mission. For me its like looking at a well built Triton or Norvin with a modern pushbike speedo on the top yoke...it needs a chronometric or two LOL 8)

For a cobra I like to see a proper pair of Mileometer tumblers; old fashioned yes, I dont want em in my modern beemer, but on the cobra would not want anything else!

Still be boring if we all liked the same thing wouldnt it!!!!!!!

Hi Steve,
Don't get me wrong, I'm right with you on the asthetics front and I'm sure that I'll end up swapping mine for for a set of Smiths guages one day, but for the time being, I have a perfectly functional set of quality guages and there are other things I can spend my money on first. :mrgreen:

Kirkham 427SC
20-12-08, 11:28 PM
Let me know if these help...

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/cobratodd/100_1365.jpg

Volt Gauge w/built in light
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/cobratodd/100_1366.jpg

Speedo w/built in fuel gauge
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/cobratodd/100_1367.jpg

Tach w/built in signal lights and high beam light
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/cobratodd/100_1368.jpg

Kirkham 427SC
20-12-08, 11:36 PM
I'm not too hung up on everything being exactly as the original cars were, just close is good enough for me. After all I haven't seen too many cars as close to the original as Kirkhams are, but then again I have added other upgrades that will be nice to have, that are not as the originals were. You can go for original Smith's, just not my cup of tea :mrgreen:.

Andy302
21-12-08, 10:28 AM
Let me know if these help...

Great Thanks, thats exactly what I wanted to see.

Which range of gauges are these? Ive had a look on 427 Cobra Gauges (http://www.thomaskirkham.com/gauges.html) but cany see any with the built in LED's.

Cheers

FatBoy
21-12-08, 12:41 PM
Great Thanks, thats exactly what I wanted to see.

Which range of gauges are these? Ive had a look on 427 Cobra Gauges (http://www.thomaskirkham.com/gauges.html) but cany see any with the built in LED's.

Cheers

Andy,

The LED's are built into the tacho on the ones I have.
If you want to use the fuel level guage built into the speedo, I think you need a special sender unit. I have one for mine and it is completely solidstate with no moving parts. I believe it is an aircraft type sender, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Paul

Paul

pete knighton
24-12-08, 06:12 PM
ETB gauges ordered last thursday delivered yesterday (tuesday) looks very good. all i need now is car to put them in ,pete

wilf
24-12-08, 07:01 PM
Christ but you guys need some lessons on how to build up a wiring loom..........:rolleyes:

lumberjack
25-12-08, 12:07 PM
Christ but you guys need some lessons on how to build up a wiring loom..........:rolleyes:

Does that mean we're all in detention ....again???? :mrgreen: