PDA

View Full Version : BYE BYE LICENSE!!!!!!

cgnw28517
13-10-01, 05:10 PM
Just been pulled in the Cobra by an unmarked Police Volvo on the M6.
He clocked me at 108.7mph.
Does anyone have any experience of being done for this sort of speed
i.e. length of ban,cost of fine etc.

Well cheesed off Col.:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

robert
13-10-01, 06:47 PM
Firstly, you have my sympathys.

Secondly, where abouts on the M6, just for future reference?

I was stopped doing 135 on the M4, and got 12 points and a 4 and a half grand fine, but that was a lot cheaper than losing my license, only due to going to court and pleading my case.

My brother was stopped for 106 on the M1 and got a 4 week ban.

What were the road conditions and traffic volume like at the time, as this normally has a bot to do with it?

Robert
Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif

wilf
13-10-01, 08:23 PM
Col - Sympathy and stuff, but at least you have joined the happy band of Cobra speeding CRIMINALS! If it had been over 150mph you could have had 15 minutes of fame in the local press!

Reckon you will get 4 week ban plus 1000+ fine. Better let your insurance company know about the impending sentence - might get off insurance premium hikes if this is your first offence - my 90mph in a 70mph limit was accepted without comment.

Don't you just hate unmarked cars?? know I do.

Wilf

STEVE T
13-10-01, 08:27 PM
Never realised they took it so seriouse whats a ton between friends ,call me lucky but i just come up from Cornwall on the M5 never dropped below 100 all the way 200 odd mile but it was after 8 pm i thought I'd only get a bollocking anyway if i got caught .:P

graham
13-10-01, 09:05 PM
OOOPS, not much you can do about unmarked mate, except drive at the speed limit!

GM

JP
13-10-01, 09:10 PM
Did you get the option of a fixed penalty fine ? I got clocked at 102mph on the M20. The officer said he could use discretion and i took the fixed penalty route, 60 and 3 points?

JP:'( x( :-(

wilf
13-10-01, 09:53 PM
JP - I think you might just have been lucky - normally a fixed penalty can only be issued for speeds less than 30 mph over the posted limit, and probably not if you were doing 60mph in a 30mph area.

Police officers are often blessed with commonsense - if you were driving well, and with good observation, with good allowances for other road users etc, they will often let you away with a lesser penalty. Drive like a tit and they will go for the biggest weapon in their armoury. Only when they have "quotas" to make does the commonsense allowance go out of the window.

This is why I am against speed cameras - keeping to the posted limit can be positively dangerous under some conditions, like fog/ice etc. Cameras have no common sense at all - they are a blunt instrument, aimed only at revenue generation. Nothing to do with road safety. The very worst driving I have witnessed is always at speeds well below the posted limit - e.g. the absolute plonker who came to a total stop at the end of a slip road joining a fast "A" road in front of me last night because they plain could not judge how to join a fast moving traffic flow - I really have not seen much worse.

getting hot under the collar now - think I will stop here (and I'm not on a slip road).

Wilf

cgnw28517
13-10-01, 11:00 PM
I was caught just after the Thelwall viaduct Northbound at the point were the road is four lanes wide,the Volvo is a white v70 estate with two tiny blue lights behind the grill.Now it has had a chance to sink in I am quite worried as I work as a pharmaceutical machine engineer some 25 miles from home and need to be in by six so public transport is out of the question.
Look out for an A.K. in the for sale section!!!!:-( :-( :-( :-(

Mole
14-10-01, 09:00 AM
I got stopped over 10 years ago for 106 on the M6. I was a peniless student on an industrial placement at the time. I got my boss to write a "to whom it may concern" letter which I took to court saying I'd loose my job if I lost my licence. I got a 200 fine and 6 points and a 28 day ban. Don't know if it would have been worse otherwise.

Look at www.speedtrapbible.com there's a lot of useful stuff on there.

Also, do you actually feel it was a "fair cop?" the plod aren't infallible you know. If you don't you might be able to fight it.

good luck any way.

dave
14-10-01, 01:08 PM
THERE IS ANOTHER ONE ON THAT SECTION OF THE M6 I SAW TODAY DOING SOME ONE. IT WAS A PALE BLUE METALLIC 3 SERIES BMW, COULDN'T GET THE REG NO.THOUGH AS IT WAS ON THE HARD SHOULDER AND I HAD PASSED IT BEFORE I COULD SEE ITS BLUE LIGHTS.AND THE SHADY CHARACTER DRIVING IT WAS WEARING A BLACK BASEBALL CAP AND A BLACK BOMBER JACKET.WHEN THEY DRESS LIKE THIS NOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO SEE THE BLACK STRIPS ON THEIR SHOULDERS WHEN WE PASS THEM. ;-)

robert
14-10-01, 01:25 PM
There is also a black 3 series that does the bit from the start of the M1 on London up to the M25.

Robert
Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif

imported_admin
14-10-01, 03:58 PM
Junctions 5-10 M25, unmarked Imprezza (Drk Green Saloon), blue strobes hidden in reversing lights and front indicators (pretty sneaky), alloys (so can't try the no hub cap trick). Just have to look out for twin rear-view mirrors (And it's running on fully rally spec hardware, see post the other week on speed camera's, link to site that has alot of info about it.)

Dan
14-10-01, 05:06 PM
I hope they chuck the book at you and lock you away for life.. You mad man!!! 108MPH is that all you could manage .. Tsk!
;-)

cgnw28517
14-10-01, 06:06 PM
Try as I might that was all I could manage in third gear}> }> }> }>
COL.

sparky
14-10-01, 08:51 PM
I got stopped for doing 104 mph on the M20 and got 132 fine and 5 points
Very lucky
Also got stopped for doing 108 mph on the A2 and got away with it ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) no points or fine

GOOD LUCK

graham
14-10-01, 10:06 PM
Take it from me, lots of unmarked cars WILL be watching, different, random, umarked (even a boy racer 5 year old BMW 535i with body kit, lowered, blacked out windows is one) also watch for the one in the sky 800 feet up over the M4 in Berkshire!!!! Gentlemen you are warned nothing much you can do, I know of some official police approved motor bike routes (where the police go well over the ton themselves thus no speed traps) Do you want to know? I have never been nicked for speeding but been nicked for something else.

GM

cobraman
14-10-01, 10:15 PM
Col......Believe it,or believe it not...The length of ban,fine and points,is very much dependant on the Court that you will appear at and,to a lesser extent,which Magistrate you get!!..A stipendiary mag...(one sitting on his own),will "normally" hammer you...A "part timer"(school teacher...3 sat togethe),will give you less of a hard time!!....DON'T even THINK about trying to get off it!...They will have been using VASCAR,which does give certain get outs,but,you're almost BOUND to make things worse!...Just take the 28 days/200-1000 fine and the 6-12 points and next time!..........DJ

TonyD
14-10-01, 11:11 PM
I got done on the A52 ( 104 mph spposedly in a 1.6 repmobile) going east out of Grantham by a police bike who claimed that he had timed me between two points ........... the reference points were two telegraph poles in the middle of a field 400 yards away from the road. The policeman was on his bike 200 yards along a sideroad, behind a hedge. Despite a barrister, expert witnesses, and photographic evidence which proved that the place the bike was supposed to be parked was actually unsighted behind a 8 ft hedge I still got a months ban,and a 1500 fine. The police always tell the truth you see, and motorists are all speedmad boy racers.

My advice take two weeks holiday and book a taxi to and from work for the last 10 days. My ex- father in law actually drove me about for two weeks, he was a bored retiree and I needed a driver. The good news is that when you get your license back it will be totally clean...all previous convictions( ie previous 3 pointers etc) will be expunged.

Previously I was the type of guy who when spotted by the police would stop, get out of the car, let them catch me up and would be waiting with my license and documentation. Now they have to catch me, and on my home turf thats not that easy.........

BTW the Thelwall Viaduct on the M6 is a favourite place to catch serried ranks of speeders.....the fuzz put three lasers (one above each lane) on a bridge just before the viaduct. They then have the jam sandwiches waiting on the hard shoulder on the four lane section......

Still all this paranoid looking about for the police takes our mind and attention of driving safely, and we wouldn't want to concentrate on the road would we?

Cheers,

Tony........

:)

STEVE G
15-10-01, 08:30 AM
Col,
M25,5am 101 mph=7 day ban + 425 fine. Friend of mine A5 near Manchester 7pm 120mph = 7 day ban + 200 fine and offered time to pay. Depends where you are in the county prices fluctuate like beer.Bad luck anyway.:(

Kevin W
15-10-01, 10:18 AM
I totally agree, justice is metered out as a 'postcode lottery'.
I was done for 107mph on the A3 at 11:30a.m. on a workday.
I was told its pretty much a mandatory ban for a few weeks unless you've got a damned good brief and some sort of mitigating evidence. Attendence at court is usually mandatory for offences over the ton.

Robert- I don't know how you managed to play the 'get-outof-jail' card for a 135mph offence. I'd have put you on Community Service for 6 months!

I got Virginia Bottomley (or similar Mrs Middleclass prim'n'proper') as the JP who made me feel very small. Ofcourse I wasnt very clever - when asked 'how will being banned effect you' I said the first thing that came into my head (like Jim Carey in Liar Liar) ' Oh, it won't be that bad' - What was I thinking!!!

what a total knob! So I told the truth and got clouted. 5 week ban and 250 fine.
OK it didnt really matter, till I wanted insurance to drive an ST-24 Mondeo, and it DOES effect the premiums.

BTW, Do any of you convicts know if you get any hassle with hiring cars in the USA if you've got a D-35 on your license?

Kevin

TonyD
15-10-01, 10:57 PM
Update on Thelwall Viaduct and police .....Was on the M6 again today and some poor blighter had been pulled over by a dark blue unmarked Volvo T5 Saloon. the moral iof the story is never, ever overtake a half decent car that is travelling suspiciously close or below the speed limit without giving the occupants a really good looking at...the extra interior mirror is normally an excellent clue !!

cheers, Tony.
;-)

sideoiler
16-10-01, 07:42 PM
Being a keen motorcyclist as well as a cobra driver I have attended a lot of advanced m/c lectures given by the local plod ,to quote from the horses mouth "If you are going to speed do it on the back roads where we stand less chance of catching you " I find this kind of driving far more rewarding than nailing it on the motorway anyway.Keep it less than a ton on the motorway and a
fixed penalty should be the worst.
Hindsight is a wonderfull thing Dohx(

kev
16-10-01, 11:54 PM
I got done 2.5 years ago just north of Preston on the M6. 99.7mph. I overtook the dark blue with one person Volvo saloon. Being a 40,000 mile per year man I spotted the car slowed down, checked it out, no visible front or rear blues, no extra aerials, no visible second observers mirror, no PC numbers on his blue tie-less shirt, in short he wasn't a cop car 'til he pulled me 8 miles down the road as I was going onto the M55. Even as I walked back to him I couldn't see the front blues behind the grill. It's just not cricket! I got done 4 points 230 fine after pleading by post with a fabulous Hans Christian Anderson, sorry, solicitors mitigating letter.

BTW I've seen a hand radar gun on the gantry over the 4 lane bit by after Thelwall, and watch out for marked cars at the edge of bridges just out of sight in the Cheshire bit of the M6.

bad luck I hope it's not too bad
Kev