PDA

View Full Version : A bit more progress

Ian 46
06-01-09, 01:25 PM
A Happy New Year to all.

Following on from a recent thread about my Crendon at the paint shop I am pleased to say I was able to collect the completed article just before Christmas. See pictures below taken on the first sunny day of the New Year........in Sheffield!

Best Christmas present ever and didn't miss the usual socks and Toblerone at all.

Actually looking forward to working every evening in a freezing garage. First jobs are to remove the doors and bonnet without damaging the paint work and raise the car up to a decent working height. Any tips on jacking up round tube chassis cars?

Ian

Miket
06-01-09, 01:32 PM
Nice colour, what is it ??? and a man with taste, no stripes. ;) :D

westborne
06-01-09, 01:36 PM
Great Colour !! What is it ?

Ian 46
06-01-09, 01:40 PM
Hi Mike and Westborne.

I have spent months and months pondering over the colour, asking all the owners of grey Cobras what their choice had been, looking at all the grey cars on the motorway on my travels. In the end I've gone for a current Jaguar colour Shadow Grey.

Ian

jgfabs
06-01-09, 01:43 PM
A Happy New Year to all.

Following on from a recent thread about my Crendon at the paint shop I am pleased to say I was able to collect the completed article just before Christmas. See pictures below taken on the first sunny day of the New Year........in Sheffield!

Best Christmas present ever and didn't miss the usual socks and Toblerone at all.

Actually looking forward to working every evening in a freezing garage. First jobs are to remove the doors and bonnet without damaging the paint work and raise the car up to a decent working height. Any tips on jacking up round tube chassis cars?

Ian
Use a large piece of timber between the rails to act as a spreader beam.Lift up on trollry jack,Axle stands to height required.
lovely paint job and colour.
Who painted the car?

Neil O
06-01-09, 01:51 PM
Ian, lovely colour mate. Looks like a Paul the Paint job to me?:mrgreen:
No stripes? Take it back and get it fixed!;)

I use a long reach trolley jack on the diff, then on the front cross member.
Just make up a new curved plate for your trolley jack and you're away.:-D

wilf
06-01-09, 01:59 PM
Looking good, Ian, looking good. Another stripe-less Crendon, must be a trend.

When jacking mine up I always use pieces of carpet doubled up between the jacks and the chassis to avoid bruising the powder coat. Doubled over so the "grippy" side is seen by both the jack and the chassis tube. Don't ask how I learned that one.

Ian 46
06-01-09, 02:02 PM
Hi Jim, the paint and body prep is by Paul's Motor Body Repairs.

I think its the unwritten rule that most Crendon owners have to go there!

Neil, I didn't feel that I needed stripes. I don't want to drawing attention to myself when driving!

Ian

Neil O
06-01-09, 02:18 PM
Looking good, Ian, looking good. Another stripe-less Crendon, must be a trend.

When jacking mine up I always use pieces of carpet doubled up between the jacks and the chassis to avoid bruising the powder coat. Doubled over so the "grippy" side is seen by both the jack and the chassis tube. Don't ask how I learned that one.

I'm gonna tell. :twisted:

BenBaron
06-01-09, 02:22 PM
I can guess, and sympathise, did the same (without carpet I might add) and went through the divers footwell!

jgfabs
06-01-09, 02:34 PM
Ian, lovely colour mate. Looks like a Paul the Paint job to me?:mrgreen:
No stripes? Take it back and get it fixed!;)

I use a long reach trolley jack on the diff, then on the front cross member.
Just make up a new curved plate for your trolley jack and you're away.:-D
I can,t argue with a man who has the car in question.

wilf
06-01-09, 03:24 PM
I'm gonna tell. :twisted:

You don't know................;)

And Jim -I don't jack MY Crendon like Neil does his. Of course, I can't tell you how, or I would have to kill you. Or Neil.

Actually, yes, Neil. :mrgreen:

Yellowbelly
06-01-09, 03:27 PM
Stripes are so last year!

Neil O
06-01-09, 04:45 PM
You don't know................;)

Sometimes, good mates are not so good. :mrgreen:

legend
06-01-09, 07:58 PM
Ian, looking good mate.

Tony.

dingocooke
06-01-09, 08:13 PM
whens the top coat going on ;-)

jus joking , nice one, Paul does a mean paintjob; old school quality and service.

wilf
06-01-09, 08:48 PM
Sometimes, good mates are not so good. :mrgreen:

No. Seriously, you don't know. Since the event in question took place in my garage. :rolleyes:

jgfabs
07-01-09, 12:02 AM
Are all the Crendon Gang like this. He He!!!!:D:D:D

Neil O
07-01-09, 07:07 AM
Are all the Crendon Gang like this. He He!!!!:D:D:D
No, just Wilf.;)

wilf
07-01-09, 07:58 AM
I thank you. (To be read in a perfect Arthur Askey voice).

legend
07-01-09, 10:05 AM
Ian, now i've had a bit more time to have an envious look at the photos I think you have L539 front indicators if so I am pretty sure they are not SVA compliant.

Cant wait to see the car a bit more complete so we get a real idea of what it will look like, Cheers Tony.

Ian 46
07-01-09, 05:04 PM
Hi Tony,

You are correct. I have the front indicators with the non compliant fins on the car but my cunning plan was to buy a spare set of lens's with the indicator units and grind off the fins off for the SVA and then swap for the originals after (don't tell anyone).

Nice to know you are looking that closely though!

Have you painted yet? More importantly have you put you foot down hard on the loud pedal yet?

Ian

KevinW
07-01-09, 06:10 PM
Hi Tony,

You are correct. I have the front indicators with the non compliant fins on the car but my cunning plan was to buy a spare set of lens's with the indicator units and grind off the fins off for the SVA.

Ian

fixed it for you.
nice paint job btw.

legend
07-01-09, 06:32 PM
Hi Ian, off to paint end of the month I hope to be back on the road for Easter.

I have give it leadfoot a few times.

runt
14-01-09, 08:01 PM
Neil, I didn't feel that I needed stripes. I don't want to drawing attention to myself when driving!

Ian

Hi Ian, just picked this up, made me laugh!
Your car is going to look wonderful, that color is absolutely right, reminded me of the Opalescent Gunmetal Jaguar used in the 1960s, seems to compliment the shape of any 'curvy' car.
Good luck with your build and keep us posted!

Paul/runt

Ian 46
14-01-09, 09:52 PM
Thanks Paul,

It would have been funny if I had written it correctly. I was trying to say - I didn't think I needed stripes on the car as I don't want to draw attention to myself when driving the finished article.

Ian

TINKA
14-01-09, 10:11 PM
Thanks Paul,

It would have been funny if I had written it correctly. I was trying to say - I didn't think I needed stripes on the car as I don't want to draw attention to myself when driving the finished article.

Ian

You don't want to draw attention to your self and you are driving a noisy Cobra............................Does not compute :shock: :shock: ;)

jgfabs
14-01-09, 10:15 PM
You don't want to draw attention to your self and you are driving a noisy Cobra............................Does not compute :shock: :shock: ;)
510hp won,t draw much attention.........yeah right!!!!!!