PDA

View Full Version : New Wheels

hairysanta
17-01-09, 09:01 PM
Hi Guys,
Just fitted some vintage wheels to my SRV8, I'm quite pleased that the front only stick out 3/4 of an inch more tha the original ones

simon finlay
17-01-09, 09:17 PM
Isn't it such a good feeling when you have the RIGHT wheels on your car, looks great and if you need to get the fronts in a bit check out my front hubs(search post for Trigos/Vintage or my gallery)

cheers, Simon

jgfabs
17-01-09, 09:19 PM
They look great.

hairysanta
17-01-09, 09:47 PM
Hi Simon,
Have been reading all about whatyou have been up to concerning front hubs with great interest ( very nice hubs )

Those front tyres that are showing on the photo's are the original ones BF goodies 215/60/15

before I started striping every thing I placed a straight edge against the tyres verticaly and took photo's and measured from the edge of the wing to the tyre

I'm hoping to make some new hubs in the future based on the originals but trying to move the wheel contact face inwards approx 1/2 inch this will involve skimming the disk fitting face by around 1/8 inch

If it doesn't work --- you will hear me screaming from Bristol :twisted:-- and I will definitely be in touch

Pete

Clarkson
17-01-09, 09:50 PM
Hi Guys,
Just fitted some vintage wheels to my SRV8, I'm quite pleased that the front only stick out 3/4 of an inch more tha the original ones

Tell me more about them??:confused:

What size,what tyres??

TINKA
17-01-09, 10:05 PM
They look really nice but 15" wheels seem to limit the tyre choice too much for me. I would love to fit knock ones though :D :D

hairysanta
17-01-09, 10:08 PM
Hi David,
Long time,
15 inch, did have 235/60 on but changed over to 215/60 there was a difference in height of about an inch ( and very strange the footprint of the 235 was less than that of the 215

I bought the wheels from a chap over your way by the name of Stephen, not new but in extremely good nick, he fitted them to the Silver Crendon he bought off me but was not happy, so we did a swop plus cash

How's your flame thrower going :rolleyes:

Pete

simon finlay
17-01-09, 10:10 PM
Worth a try Pete, if that fails let me know asap as I think I may have a few orders in the pipeline around March/April time and the more we get made the cheaper they come, cheers, Simon

Clarkson
17-01-09, 10:13 PM
Hi David,
Long time,
15 inch, did have 235/60 on but changed over to 215/60 there was a difference in height of about an inch ( and very strange the footprint of the 235 was less than that of the 215

I bought the wheels from a chap over your way by the name of Stephen, not new but in extremely good nick, he fitted them to the Silver Crendon he bought off me but was not happy, so we did a swop plus cash

How's your flame thrower going :rolleyes:

Pete

Sounds good, they look nice!!

Mine is going well. not driven it much since our europe trip! going to fit P.A.S soon so that will cure my bumpsteer issue as per madgwick latest spec.

TINKA
17-01-09, 10:16 PM
Sounds good, they look nice!!

Mine is going well. not driven it much since our europe trip! going to fit P.A.S soon so that will cure my bumpsteer issue as per madgwick latest spec.

P.A.S is gay..............................no changed my mind as just remembered I have it already on mine :D :D

hairysanta
17-01-09, 10:19 PM
Hi Tinka,
Cant say Iv'e had any real problems over tyres at 15 inch, granted there is less choice nowadays but they are still out there

I will give you a shoot if and when I get fed up with these knock-ons :):)

Just ordered 2 215/60/15V (is it Komo's) for around a one'r :D

Pete

Miket
17-01-09, 10:22 PM
Power steering on a Cobra is definitely gay. ;) ;)

Miket
17-01-09, 10:26 PM

Pete

It's Kuhmo's, ask NeilO what he thinks of them. :( :(

TINKA
17-01-09, 10:28 PM
Power steering on a Cobra is definitely gay. ;) ;)

Is that why you have P.A.S :p ;)

Clarkson
17-01-09, 10:28 PM
Hi Tinka,
Cant say Iv'e had any real problems over tyres at 15 inch, granted there is less choice nowadays but they are still out there

I will give you a shoot if and when I get fed up with these knock-ons :):)

Pete

Really poor tyres!! I'm on 17 because of this. Avon do some nice 15" tyres,but very expensive at Ģ800 a set.

Miket
17-01-09, 10:30 PM
Is that why you have P.A.S :p ;)

Of course, it's a SW thing. :D :D

TINKA
17-01-09, 10:34 PM

Sorry I forgot that :rolleyes:

Clarkson
17-01-09, 10:40 PM

Being gay??:shock::shock:

hairysanta
17-01-09, 11:07 PM
I will let you know what I think of these tyre's once they are on, I must admit I havn't had a problem as yet losing the front end (always the rear)
I dont drive fast but I do like to accelerate

GAY ---watch out for the handbags, if you ever go to the Exeter Car Show ;);)

Pete

Jochen Struck
30-01-09, 06:02 PM
Hi guys!

I have just joined the community and I have read interesting things about Vintage or Trigo pin drive wheels on Jag axles.
My current project is to change my 5 spoke Revolution wheels (7x15, 9x15, 215/60, 255/60) to Halibrand-style wheels with true knock-offs.
After trying to get contact respectivly tecnical info, I think to go with Vintage Wheels, because they provide me infomation.

I have measured my offsets of 5.2mm front and -16.6mm rear. To keep the offsets I assume the one piece pin drive hubs like that from Simon Finlay and machining off some mm for more backspacing is the way to go.

Maybe company JustCobras have matching hubs. I have sent them an email today and looking forward for a reply. If that donīt work I am interested in front and rear hubs from Simon.

Pete,
Can you tell me your old offsets and rear tyre size, please?

Cheers
Jochen

TINKA
30-01-09, 06:31 PM
Hi guys!

I have just joined the community and I have read interesting things about Vintage or Trigo pin drive wheels on Jag axles.
My current project is to change my 5 spoke Revolution wheels (7x15, 9x15, 215/60, 255/60) to Halibrand-style wheels with true knock-offs.
After trying to get contact respectivly tecnical info, I think to go with Vintage Wheels, because they provide me infomation.

I have measured my offsets of 5.2mm front and -16.6mm rear. To keep the offsets I assume the one piece pin drive hubs like that from Simon Finlay and machining off some mm for more backspacing is the way to go.

Maybe company JustCobras have matching hubs. I have sent them an email today and looking forward for a reply. If that donīt work I am interested in front and rear hubs from Simon.

Pete,
Can you tell me your old offsets and rear tyre size, please?

Cheers
Jochen

Hi Jochen, you really need to have a word with Simon Finlay who has posted in this thread. He has designed some adapters that aid the fitting of pin drive wheels that make the process a whole lot easier. I believe he has had some made for other people in the past.

Oh and welcome to the club :D :D

simon finlay
31-01-09, 07:39 AM
Hi Jochen and welcome, I am sure I can help you out with the hubs for the front but at the moment I have only just designed a rear hub and I am waiting for a price for them. I am trying to co-ordinate various owners who want front hubs to commit to an order so we can get the price down, the more we have made the cheaper they come, I have these made for me and do not make anything on them, I just do it to help out like minded owners who want the ONLY wheel to have. I know about the JustCobra hubs but the problem with these is that they are desinged for the 6 pin drive wheels and the Trigo and Vintage wheels that most of us have use a 5 pin system designed to allow the fitting of the adapters to the Jag hubs and at the same time provide the drive for the wheels. I talked to JustCobras to see if they could prived me with hubs that were not drilled for 6 pins but they said no. You are right in asuming that an amount is machined off the back of the wheel to bring them in under the arch and this combined with the reduced depth of my hub works very well. If I can be of more help please PM me so I can keep track of the interest in putting together an order, I hope it may come together in the next two months, cheers, Simon

Neil O
31-01-09, 08:38 AM
It's Kuhmo's, ask NeilO what he thinks of them. :( :(
Yup, they are utter shite.
I took them off my Dax and fitted Michellin Pilot Sports. What a difference!
Vastly reduced tracking on white lines, vastly improved grip in dry and wet, front and rear.
Khumos do last longer though......especially the rears.;)

I wanted the Vintage wheels for my Crendon, but felt that tyre choice was a major issue that would not get any better. With 500bhp I want some decent rubber shoes!
I tried to get Vintage to make a set of 16" for me, but they wouldn't play ball. If they change their minds, I might just take a punt....:mrgreen:

hairysanta
31-01-09, 12:18 PM
Hi Jochen,
welcome to the mad house
I woud love to tell you the off-sets of the wheels, but I have been told 3 different ways of measuring them
Maybe one of the members will pick this up and give us all the definitive way, I for one am totally confused :confused:
I have spoken to Simon re the adaptors he is having made, as I am trying also to decrease the width of the front track by altering the hub assy
I would like to reduce the disc fitting face by 1/8" of an inch, then remake the hub moving the inner face in 1/8" and reducing the thickness of the carrier from 1" down to 5/8--- by doing this you lose in total 1/2" each side and it would still look like a standard hub
I cant do as Simon has had done with his hubs(include the threaded part ) but if I could, then another 3/8" of an inch would be lost (the mounting plate to the original hub) Therefore you would have to machine very little from the mounting surface of the wheel itself, maybe nothing at all as 7/8" had already been lost from each side reducing the track by 1 and 3/4" in total

Hope you understand this rambling( I'm better face to face)

all the best

Pete

gavk
31-01-09, 02:32 PM
Nice wheels Pete, what size tyres have you got on the rear and are they BF's aswell?

Ive got 225 front and 255s rear, thinking of moving down to 215F and 245R. Mainly to give a little more clearance at the rear arches but also to shift the balance more in the favour of playful handling than overall grip (not that 10mm less at each corner will make a whole heap of difference i suppose). Before the comments come about just using the loud pedal more, im afraid I dont have the monter BHP output that some of you lucky guys have....Yet!!

Im thinking of getting my BF's from here

Cooper tyres, 4x4 tyres, B.F.Goodrich, Cooper Cobra tyres (http://www.tyrespec.co.uk/)

seems about the best price I can see at Ģ100 per corner.

gavk
31-01-09, 02:36 PM
Pete, forgot to say, cheers for the PMs with regards to the spigot bearing but I am getting the job done at Chengs this week so i wont be needing that phonecall, offer much appreciated though!

hairysanta
31-01-09, 04:32 PM
Hi Gav,
I'm running 245/60/15 Avon CR6 ZZ on the rear, and when axle bottoms out on hard cornering on uneven roads they have tendancy of rubbing slightly. Iv'e tried pressures from 18psi up to 30psi to stop the tail going sideways, also lowered and raised the suspension by over 1/2 inch all to no avail (just a lot harder ride)

I intend trying some 235/60 /15 pirelis asp to see what this gives me, but dont like the walls of these tyres as they seem to slope in and are not as large a footprint as other makes of tyres

If you are going for the BF's watch the load/speed rating they are low and if you were involved in a heavy accident !!!!!! you might end up with the insurance going nul in void (if thats how you spell it) on you--- had it happen with a mate of mine with a jag once, a long time ago

On the front in the last 2 weeks Iv'e tried 235 pireles/ 215 BF's and have just bought 2- 215 khuma to fit next week. will see how I get on with them, but I'm being told they are CRAP (but you got to try yourself if you know what I mean) :p:p

Hope you get your gearbox problem sorted

All the best

Pete

Jochen Struck
01-02-09, 08:09 PM
Hi Cobra fans,

Nice to hear your thoughts.
I think to go with 6 pin hubs and matching Vintage wheels, because I havenīt already the 5 pin Trigos.
Looking forward for Vintageīs offer next week and will also clear if I can do the machining backspace in my company or if I need to buy it from Vintage.

Pete:
I have measured offsets T - 0.5xOW. T is deepth from backside edge to hub contact surface, OW is overall width.
With your decreasing of front track I have few translation problems, but it sounds dangerous to me. Probably you make the parts too weak and is there enough room for the bearings, needs the stub axle to be shortened and is then the caliper too far outside?

Cheers
Jochen

hairysanta
01-02-09, 08:51 PM
Hi Jochen,
I am not altering the distance between bearing races, so stub axle remains the same
Have you a Jag front hub to look at, if so you will see that the wheel studs are a press fit on splines with approx 3/8" thickness of metal, I will be increasing this to over 1/2"
By removing 1/8" from fitting face of the disk and moving the hub flange back on the new hub by 1/8" this puts the disk in exactly the same position as it started off in
The 5 shouldered HT bolts holding the disc in place at the moment are in 1" of metal which I feel could be reduced to 5/8". this being achieved by making the hub flange 5/8" on the new hub ( this could be 3/4" if any problems are found after testing
What I am trying to acheive is removing width from the hub rather than 1/2 inch from fitting face of the alloy wheels !!!

Could I ask what you are planning to fit your wheel to ???

Pete