PDA

View Full Version : Power steering

tommy-boy
18-01-09, 07:49 PM
I'm still making my mind up which kit would suit my needs best, and the next question i have is power steering?

Who has it?? is it worth fitting or not bother??

I'll be going with a 5.7 chevy block hopefully, when i get as far as the engine, and at this point i'm swinging towards the AK kit more than the Dax.

TINKA
18-01-09, 08:08 PM
I have an AK and for the first 3 or 4 years I didn't have PAS but I then drove an AK with it on and just had to have it, to answer your question I would say yes it is worth it. Dax have a system as well but I donít know of any others. HTH

cobracol
18-01-09, 08:39 PM
If you can afford it, go for it! ak option was quite expensive but have to say i think it was well worth it!

wilf
18-01-09, 09:30 PM
Hate to say this, but Power Steering on a Cobra, is, well, umm, err, it's just gay.

cobracol
18-01-09, 10:01 PM
Hate to say this, but Power Steering on a Cobra, is, well, umm, err, it's just gay.
You would not be saying that if you were trying to in and out of my garage and shared driveway, and when it comes to parking it wont look like you've just returned from a session with Megan Fox! Phhwwaaawwww Get down shep!

craggle
18-01-09, 10:07 PM
Often thought it may be useful when moving in and out the garage but that's it. Once your moving at a walking pace and above it's not needed.

Dax's system is an electric steering column so it can be turned off with a switch when not needed.

You want to have a go in my 1967 LWB Land Rover. That is hard work to turn the wheel at any speed!

Craig.

cobracol
18-01-09, 10:25 PM
Often thought it may be useful when moving in and out the garage but that's it. Once your moving at a walking pace and above it's not needed.

Dax's system is an electric steering column so it can be turned off with a switch when not needed.

You want to have a go in my 1967 LWB Land Rover. That is hard work to turn the wheel at any speed!

Craig.
You May be right, i havent tried anyone elses cob, but thus far given the chance i would go the same route again, still love driving it, but would not want to be put off by difficult access in and out of garage, my every day car is not powered i know which i would rather have! All my love see you again sweetie (Only Joking Really!... honestly!.

craggle
18-01-09, 10:31 PM
OK, Maybe I should have worded that a bit better.:rolleyes::mrgreen:

I didn't fit it to my Dax as it wasn't an option at the time. However with my liking for fitting everything I can, I would put it in if I was building another car now. If I would use it or not remains an unanswered question.

I haven't missed it enough to make me want to change the column, but maybe when I get as old as some people are on this site I will change my mind!:mrgreen:

Catch you later darling!:rolleyes:

Craig. (confirmed EFI user)

cobracol
18-01-09, 10:41 PM
OK, Maybe I should have worded that a bit better.:rolleyes::mrgreen:

I didn't fit it to my Dax as it wasn't an option at the time. However with my liking for fitting everything I can, I would put it in if I was building another car now. If I would use it or not remains an unanswered question.

I haven't missed it enough to make me want to change the column, but maybe when I get as old as some people are on this site I will change my mind!:mrgreen:

Catch you later darling!:rolleyes:

Craig. (confirmed EFI user)
Hey I'm not old, i'm just not young anymore. seriously though have you had the chance to try a dax with the power option, if so did you think it reduced steering feel?

Clarkson
18-01-09, 10:43 PM
Soon I will be converting to power steering when I can pick up a chevy power steering pump.

craggle
18-01-09, 10:50 PM
No, Never driven another Cobra copy except mine.

Every time I do drive it though I am amazed how well it drives. The steering feels light, It is not rough or bumpy and it handles very well especially good for driving the local lanes around here.

It's a far more pleasant drive than my Range Rover is for example. Not just the power and acceleration but I think it's a more relaxed drive?

I was pleasantly surprised by this really as I thought it was going to be a bone shaking handful on the road like some of the sports cars I have tried in the past.

I think the Dax power steering can somehow be speed related so it turns off or reduces the amount of power it offers at higher speeds?

Craig.

Clarkson
18-01-09, 10:55 PM
I drive electric steering on cars all the time and has a distinct lack of feel through the steering wheel. Old school PAS is the way forward.

cobracol
18-01-09, 11:00 PM
I drive electric steering on cars all the time and has a distinct lack of feel through the steering wheel. Old school PAS is the way forward.
Thankyou i think that has answered my question! Hey ran over three coins in the road last week they were two heads and one tail.

Miket
18-01-09, 11:20 PM

Craig.

You wouldn't be saying that if you'd driven a Cob after PS was fitted, what a difference, Ok it's very handy for getting in and out of tight spaces, but it comes into it's own when you are hammering it into corners and you hit a manhole/pothole, your steering wheel starts to snatch your hands off, well it doesn't with power as the rack absorbs all the kick back. ;)

And don't say your Dax doesn't do it, because I know better. ;) ;) :D :D

TINKA
18-01-09, 11:23 PM
Got an old fashioned hydraulic power rack on my car although it is powered by an electric pump, still gives me plenty of feel. Bonus is when I did a track day I just turned off the pump and the steering is exactly as it was before it was fitted, bit of a surprise as I thought it would go really heavy.

cobracol
18-01-09, 11:36 PM
I'm still making my mind up which kit would suit my needs best, and the next question i have is power steering?

Who has it?? is it worth fitting or not bother??

I'll be going with a 5.7 chevy block hopefully, when i get as far as the engine, and at this point i'm swinging towards the AK kit more than the Dax.
Im swinging towards my bed at this time, there you have it many opinions all valid, truth is you need to find out for yourself as the whole idea of building your own car is so that you can have it how you want it, and what suits one won't suit another, good luck! Regards col.

tommy-boy
18-01-09, 11:41 PM
It seems like a 50 / 50, some like some dont.

My first thoughts were not to put it on, as its extra weight (not much i know, but more is more) but my turning circle to get in my Garage is tighter than a nuns c=*t. LOL:o