PDA

View Full Version : Any Leather Experts Out There?

FatBoy
28-01-09, 08:38 PM
When I went to Le Mans in the summer, the seats got rather wet and although they were gently but thoroughly dried out and leather food applied, a strange metamorphosis of the leather has taken place.
There is a band of thickened and scaley leather across the backs of the seats and along the front edge of the seat swabs.

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Seat_Leather_2.JPG

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Seat_Leather_1.JPG

Are there any leather experts (I'm not interested in how you became an expert ;)) out in Cobra Land who have any suggestions on how I might reclaim the leather? I've tried leather food and also water, on the basis that water caused it, it might also fix it.

Paul

Clarkson
28-01-09, 08:48 PM
Use you MRS Niva hand cream, keeps the leather nice and soft.;)

kurrmet
28-01-09, 09:01 PM
Hi Paul

You could try these guy's there main work is in the motorcycle industry but they also work on car.:)

Spence Professional Leather Repairs NEW (http://www.splr.co.uk/)

FatBoy
28-01-09, 09:07 PM
Thanks Iain, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Adrian427
28-01-09, 09:58 PM
Paul
Contact details for Suffolk and Turley (http://www.suffolkandturley.co.uk/contact.html)

VeeEight
28-01-09, 10:30 PM
Paul

I am suprised. When I saw you last, you told me you were now into rubber & PVC.
Phil

Neil O
28-01-09, 11:28 PM
Paul, saddle soap mate.

Purple AK
28-01-09, 11:55 PM
Paul, saddle soap mate.
Baby Wipes work for me ;)

FatBoy
29-01-09, 07:06 AM
They're all good suggestions to prevent the problem, but will they recover the leather from its current condition?
The pictures don't really show the effect. The leather has become really thick and scaley.

TONYC
29-01-09, 09:15 AM
This is typical of the way the leather will react if you use hide food or saddle soap. These contain oils and lanolin which will soften the pigmented surface of the leather. Keep these products for saddles and walking boots. Automotive leather is basically PU coated and easily damaged by anything containing an oil or wax based product. Baby wipes and hand cream as mentioned are perfectly ok to protect the surface but will not repair the damage to your seat. Miket came up with a good product a few weeks ago "leather re-colouring balm" from furnitureclinic.co.uk which you get to match your colour. It wont rectify the damage but it will disguise it.

BenBaron
29-01-09, 03:08 PM
Baby Wipes work for me ;)

I usually use toilet roll but each to their own.

wilf
29-01-09, 05:50 PM
Wet wipes are my saviour............:mrgreen:

Neil O
30-01-09, 12:02 PM
Saddle soap always brought the Dax seats back from water marks.
I haven't had the problem with the Crendon seats as yet, maybe I've not been soaked as much.;)

TINKA
30-01-09, 12:30 PM
I haven't had the problem with the Crendon seats as yet, maybe I've not been soaked as much.;)

Or you have not taken Mike T out yet :shock: :lol: ;-)

FatBoy
30-01-09, 12:56 PM

Unfortunately, this isn't just a water mark. The leather has physically changed and has become thick and scaley. I spoke to a car upholsterer yesterday who told me that modern leather uses water based preservatives and that a soaking will effectively wash these out. What I have is effectively a thick tide-mark of preservative across the back of both seats and the seat swabs. The bad news is that it isn't recoverable according to him. :( :(
I either have to live with it, or get them recovered. :cry:

Paul

Miket
30-01-09, 03:53 PM

Thanks Tink and yes I have been out in it, but the marks on Neil's seat was more of a brownie colour. :twisted: ;) :D

dingocooke
30-01-09, 05:15 PM
Thanks Tink and yes I have been out in it, but the marks on Neil's seat was more of a brownie colour. :twisted: ;) :D

....and just why were there brown marks 'on Neil's seat'...were you interfering with him young man??!!!!! ;-)

slogger
30-01-09, 10:34 PM
.............used to use Neats-foot oil on the old open cars, but how it would work with the water based products present, I don't know.

Regards.

Neil O
31-01-09, 07:49 AM
Yes, he's been out in my car, and he very bravely put his arm in front of the rear wheel arch to protect it from the stones we encountered on a freshly laid road just outside of Le Mans.
Now that's what I call a good mate!:mrgreen:

Paul, sorry to hear about your seats being terminal. I haven't seen that on anything here, do Kirkham use something different on their seats maybe?
Perhaps you are not supposed to take it out in the rain?;)

FatBoy
31-01-09, 12:31 PM
Paul, sorry to hear about your seats being terminal. I haven't seen that on anything here, do Kirkham use something different on their seats maybe?
Perhaps you are not supposed to take it out in the rain?;)

I've not seen anything like it before either. :(
They did get very wet on the way down to Le Mans. I think I will look at getting some waterproof seat covers made that can slip over the seats if it rains in future.
I've sent an email to Kirkham asking how much a new set of seat leather would be.

Paul

Neil O
31-01-09, 12:38 PM
I got a good soaking in France last year, several times. My seats are fine.
I wonder if you have a fault with your leather?

TONYC
31-01-09, 09:50 PM
We now have a fully waterproof leather developed for the marine industry which is fully weather resistant. Let me know if you want to recover your seats and I will sort some out for you.

SloW8
01-02-09, 06:55 PM
Paul,

You probably are not going to like the answer on a price that you get from Kirkhams. They are quite proud of their seats.

If you can not get anything from them you can try: Newport Upholstery Source - Quality Materials (http://www.newportupholstery.com)

Newport also owns Heritage upholstery. One or both of those companies make Cobra seat upholstery that should work.

Joe

FatBoy
03-02-09, 10:37 PM
Paul,

You probably are not going to like the answer on a price that you get from Kirkhams. They are quite proud of their seats.

If you can not get anything from them you can try: Newport Upholstery Source - Quality Materials (http://www.newportupholstery.com)

Newport also owns Heritage upholstery. One or both of those companies make Cobra seat upholstery that should work.

Joe

Hi Joe,
You're right, I didn't like the answer. :( They wanted the best part of $1,000 and that was just the covers without fitting.
They are justifiably proud of their seats, they are beautifully made, right down to the original style rubber diaphrams, but something has gone awry with mine.
Paul

BTW are you by chance the Joe that used to work at KMS? :)

SloW8
03-02-09, 10:54 PM
Just a guess.

I think that when they make top grain leather, they roll the grain onto it. I think that something happened physically to the surface before, during or after that process. It looks to me like the water penetrated this finish and has just swollen and expanded to show the rough finish of the natural leather similar to the back side of the leather, kind of rough and grainy...??? The only way to fix that would be to re-roll the grain onto the leather and that is probably not practical.

Note to self... apply protective product to seats before soaking with rain.

Adrian427
03-02-09, 10:57 PM
Paul
Go for a walk in a pair of black shoes in the snow, leave them to dry near a heat source (radiator) and report back!!! You will have similar results to what happened too your seats!! This happened to me today!!!

tarmacscratcher
03-02-09, 11:36 PM
When I went to Le Mans in the summer, the seats got rather wet and although they were gently but thoroughly dried out and leather food applied, a strange metamorphosis of the leather has taken place.
There is a band of thickened and scaley leather across the backs of the seats and along the front edge of the seat swabs.

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Seat_Leather_2.JPG

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Seat_Leather_1.JPG

Are there any leather experts (I'm not interested in how you became an expert ;)) out in Cobra Land who have any suggestions on how I might reclaim the leather? I've tried leather food and also water, on the basis that water caused it, it might also fix it.

Paul

Just had a read of your post on ClubCobra.
That guy asking if your cobra sounded good through the Channel Tunnel...ahh..how cute. :)