PDA

View Full Version : SBC Proof of engine age again!

steve_h
20-02-09, 10:06 PM
I bought my engine from "thenginefactory.com" 2 years ago as a turnkey unit and I am very happy with it

The concern i have is that the engine number is one that has been highlighted as a possible problem 3970010 and has had the engine no. ground off in the re-surfacing.

I have an e-mail from them stating the engine was manufactured 1978 do you think this will be enough for SVA?

here is the wording from the e-mail

"Hi Steve, we do not have the number V20 recorded.
We know the casting number 3970010 means the block was cast between 1969-
The date code L88 means the block was cast December, 8, 1978.

We hope this helps.
Thank you,
Matt Walsh "

attached are the photos I sent them

any help is welcome

Steve

cobracol
20-02-09, 11:48 PM
Hi Steve What is the problem my engine is same number and was no prob for sva only prob you are unlikely to be able to proove age in which case they will test it to 1980s standards which means a wand up the exhaust, oh matron! but unless engine is goosed should be fine

Neil O
21-02-09, 07:06 AM
Steve, I suspect VOSA will want more than an email for proof of age.

Get in contact with Mike Huddart, he can confirm the age for you and VOSA will accept his findings.
Not sure if he charges for the service though.

steve_h
21-02-09, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the replys

cobracol, I thought that was the engine number of the mexican blocks

I will contact mike, a charge for ensuring no catalyst emissions test, is another headache gone

Steve

Dutch Paul
21-02-09, 09:03 AM
Get in contact with Mike Huddart, he can confirm the age for you and VOSA will accept his findings.

If he can be @r5ed to answer his PMs. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

shadow
21-02-09, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the replys

Steve

That was a legit number from legit engines copied by some Mexican blocks. Good luck. ;)

Purple AK
21-02-09, 09:44 AM
If he can be @r5ed to answer his PMs. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
You could always phone or email ;)
Huddart Engines (http://www.huddartengines.co.uk/index.html)

Dutch Paul
21-02-09, 09:58 AM
You could always phone or email ;)
Huddart Engines (http://www.huddartengines.co.uk/index.html)

I could, but couldn`t be @r5ed either. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

dave
21-02-09, 10:12 AM
I could, but couldn`t be @r5ed either. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mike can't get on the forum, password probs.;)

andicole0
21-02-09, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the replys

I will contact mike, a charge for ensuring no catalyst emissions test, is another headache gone

Steve

I thought the Mexican blocks had 'made in Mexico' stamped on them.

Andi.

bitsilly
21-02-09, 05:40 PM
This was all covered recently.
Before I took my car for SVA I rang them and was told that engine would definately fail due to having that number.
The only way to make it pass (at that time)was for Mike Huddart to confirm it was genuine. As far as Mike knew he was the only recognised person qualified to do so, though someone posted that there was another.
He checked the engine and rang them to say it was OK and it passed.
Get in touch with Mike, he won't bite!
As far as I know nothing has changed.

steve_h
21-02-09, 09:24 PM
thanks for all the replys

I will e-mail Mike and hope that does the trick

Steve

cobracol
23-02-09, 12:13 AM
thanks for all the replys

I will e-mail Mike and hope that does the trick

Steve
Steve Listen, as long as it goes like stink, and doesnt cause one, it doesnt matter were it comes from! just make sure all your paperwork is ok! and gather all the evidence you can!, at the end of the day you will wonder what all the fuss was about! stop worrying! and start grinning! best of luck with sva and let us know how you go on, Regards Col

cobracol
23-02-09, 12:53 AM
This was all covered recently.
Before I took my car for SVA I rang them and was told that engine would definately fail due to having that number.
The only way to make it pass (at that time)was for Mike Huddart to confirm it was genuine. As far as Mike knew he was the only recognised person qualified to do so, though someone posted that there was another.
He checked the engine and rang them to say it was OK and it passed.
Get in touch with Mike, he won't bite!
As far as I know nothing has changed.
Confused??? How can an engine that they havent seen fail?, And what was their grounds for saying it would fail when it had'nt been tested? and pass what? surely the worst they can do is say it will have to have a piece of piss "non visual" test to 1980s standards, and frankly if it can't pass that it must be a right coal burner!, Please don't take offence at my comments, you have given steve great advice, as i said gather all the evidence, but there is no reason that i know of as to why it should fail unless ive missed anything! Regards Col

wilf
23-02-09, 08:28 AM
Col - you are missing a large point here.

Let us say that, theoretically, a UK engine supplier got a supply of cheap, new blocks, but with an old casting code so that they would pass SVA?

And let's suppose that this information became known to the powers that be, would you then be surprised to discover that they then decided to view any and all blocks with that casting code with deep suspicion? Remember that it is the age of the block that counts, not the age of its design.

There are other indications that can prove if a block is genuinely the age it purports to be, and Mike H has become a trusted source of assessing these for VOSA.

So yes, it could well be incredibly important for someone to know the true provenance of their block. And it is nothing to do with what comes out of the exhaust pipe.

snowball555
23-02-09, 09:02 AM
Theoretically, if a company had done that and got found out would they not be up for fraud and wouldnt trading standards be involved?

Martin

wilf
23-02-09, 10:22 AM
You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Of course, they could always profess complete ignorance?

cobracol
23-02-09, 03:05 PM
Col - you are missing a large point here.

Let us say that, theoretically, a UK engine supplier got a supply of cheap, new blocks, but with an old casting code so that they would pass SVA?

And let's suppose that this information became known to the powers that be, would you then be surprised to discover that they then decided to view any and all blocks with that casting code with deep suspicion? Remember that it is the age of the block that counts, not the age of its design.

There are other indications that can prove if a block is genuinely the age it purports to be, and Mike H has become a trusted source of assessing these for VOSA.

So yes, it could well be incredibly important for someone to know the true provenance of their block. And it is nothing to do with what comes out of the exhaust pipe.
Right! i understand now Thanks wilf once again for clarifying that for me! think i will have to read the past 3 years worth of post to catch up! regards Col