PDA

View Full Version : Driving abroad

BLOKE
10-03-09, 05:26 PM
DID YOU ALL KNOW THAT YOU NEED TO INFORM YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OF DATES, AND COUNTRIES WHEN WE TRAVEL ABROAD, AND GET FROM THEM A GREEN CARD, OR A LETTER, IF YOU NEGLECT TO DO THIS YOU ARE ONLY COVERED THIRD PARTY.
Frank dowsett. BLOKE.

realyweely
10-03-09, 05:38 PM
Not entirely correct.
I think you will find that 'Green Cards' havent been issued for years.
My Insurance policy has, printed on the back in several EU languages, a script stating that the insurance is valid etc etc et. It is however only for 3rd party as far as I am aware, which is all that the original Green card ever offered.

Miket
10-03-09, 05:59 PM
Not entirely correct.
I think you will find that 'Green Cards' havent been issued for years.
My Insurance policy has, printed on the back in several EU languages, a script stating that the insurance is valid etc etc et. It is however only for 3rd party as far as I am aware, which is all that the original Green card ever offered.

Correct, but you still have to contact them before you leave with the dates. ;) ;)

BLOKE
14-03-09, 10:51 AM
Hi all, I have just contacted my insurance company as I am going abroad in a new B.M.W. soon, they said if I had not contacted them I would have third party cover only while abroad, they will issue a green card to last the duration of the trip, and cover will be fully comp.
I also contacted Adrian Flux who insure my Cobra as we are going to Nurburgring this year, and they said exactly the same thing, exept they would issue a letter, not a green card.
Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.
P.S. DONT RISK DRIVING ABROAD WITH THIRD PARTY IF YOU NORMALLY HAVE FULLY COMP.

TINKA
14-03-09, 04:00 PM
Hi all, I have just contacted my insurance company as I am going abroad in a new B.M.W. soon, they said if I had not contacted them I would have third party cover only while abroad, they will issue a green card to last the duration of the trip, and cover will be fully comp.
I also contacted Adrian Flux who insure my Cobra as we are going to Nurburgring this year, and they said exactly the same thing, exept they would issue a letter, not a green card.
Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.
P.S. DONT RISK DRIVING ABROAD WITH THIRD PARTY IF YOU NORMALLY HAVE FULLY COMP.

That is correct! Been abroad a lot and was told this many a time. They only cover you to drive aboard for so many weeks a year, so need to be told as to which weeks this is going to be. :D

jemburrett
15-03-09, 12:07 PM
Quote: 'I also contacted Adrian Flux who insure my Cobra as we are going to Nurburgring this year, and they said exactly the same thing, exept they would issue a letter, not a green card.'

I too, told Flux my dates of travel and checked that my cover would be fully comprehensive which they confirmed verbally and in a subsequent letter.

When I phoned them from France after the accident, 'comprehensive' apparently had changed its meaning to 'selective'.

"Oh, no," they said, "We don't get involved in recovering the car, you have to arrange that, pay for it and then (try to) claim it back" When trying to claim back the cost of the recovery from Le Mans: "We only pay for one recovery per incident and in your case we have paid for the recovery from Portsmouth to Luton"

"Oh! sorry, if you have to stay in a hotel whilst waiting to recover the car, the cost is not covered"

"No, we are not responsible for the fact that the accident caused you to miss your booked and paid for crossing, you'll just have to bear the cost yourself"

When gathering the required three quotations for the repairs: "I'm afraid that if the company wants to charge to visit, inspect and assess the damage before quoting, then these costs will have to be paid for by you"

When moving the car to the factory for repairs: "No, we wont cover the cost, you have to move it there yourself"

By all means depend on nice Mr. Flux, but I would suggest you seriously consider getting some comprehensive motor insurance as well.

Regards
Jeremy

Purple AK
15-03-09, 05:08 PM
I've never had the misfortune to test out Backford Bloor, but others have and have been very pleaed with the service. However I also pay 50 a year for seperate UK and European Breakdown cover with them through ALP's. Something we should all have, especially abroad.
With this I get..
Roadside Assistance or recovery to the nearest garage capable of doing the repairs.
Spare parts dispatch.
Additional accomodation expenses 30 per person per day.
Journey continuation or return home. Up to 14 days car hire.
Replacement Driver.
Vehicle breakin emergency repair.
Urgent message relay.
Vehicle repatriation to the UK.
Customs claims indemnity.
Collection of vehicle left abroad for repair. Max 600.
And spookily, Accidental damage for loss of tent! ;) 30 pp per day.