PDA

View Full Version : what pay rises are we all getting this year !!

oiler0
10-03-09, 06:01 PM
i was just wondering what sort of pay rises we are all getting ,if any in these hard and troubled times .
just had my annual appraisal and got 2%.
based on the fact the company did well last year / and in my opinion i did well as well , i think is very poor
it seams that every one at my place is getting zero to two percent if you are lucky .

so i would be interested in what percent rises are being given out by companies this year ?

i know a lot of people have lost their jobs in the last six months and i should think my self to be lucky i still have a job and a pay rise.

but i cant help thinking that that we still seam to be making the monthly targets each month / and the revenues are on plan
so is the recession just being used as an excuse to give out low pay rises by large corporations this year ?

with a real mix of careers on hear i love to know what percent we are all getting if any ?

cliffords
10-03-09, 06:56 PM
I work for a very major and successful UK Bank....that narrows it down a bit !
I have nil pay increase and adopt the very lucky to still have a job position at present.
I have literally 1000's of colleagues who do not.

bluetoon
10-03-09, 06:59 PM
1% here :(
oil industry

TINKA
10-03-09, 07:35 PM
0% here and that is of a crap wage to start with. I think you should consider yourself lucky.

oiler0
10-03-09, 07:46 PM
TINKA
what line of work is that ?

badcob
10-03-09, 07:51 PM
fook all made redundant 4 weeks ago

Clive
10-03-09, 07:56 PM
Why should people expect an annual pay rise? Especially if they can't even spell! :(

Clarkson
10-03-09, 08:05 PM
None of your business me thinks!;)

oiler0
10-03-09, 08:17 PM
well Clive
we all can't be good at every thing like you ?
i not employed for my ability to spell
if i was i would be an English teacher !
HOHO

dave
10-03-09, 08:22 PM
I haven't had a pay rise since 2002! I think I'll hand my notice in. :roll:

BrettG
10-03-09, 08:32 PM
My employees get a fixed percentage of the turnover. Its the way to go. Every one works hard in every area, customer satisfaction for return business, productivity to ensure the cash keeps flowing. If their wages drop, and it never has, i dont even have to do any disaplining, they know whos to blame and dish out the kickings :)

TINKA
10-03-09, 08:34 PM
TINKA
what line of work is that ?

Repairing, calibrating & assembling very accurate measuring equipment, levels autocollimators, telescopes, etc

steve ferguson
10-03-09, 08:49 PM
0% in the last 7 years, retailing, wish I could get out !

kurrmet
10-03-09, 08:52 PM
fook all made redundant 4 weeks ago

Sorry he that Badcob :(

Purple AK
10-03-09, 08:53 PM
Spare a thought for the Self Employed amongst us :(

kurrmet
10-03-09, 08:57 PM

Chris

You beat me to that one, as the last contractor on site working still full time I am keeping my mouth shut and my head down and taking what ever they are happy to pay.

Andy S
10-03-09, 09:27 PM
0% in the last 7 years, retailing, wish I could get out !

I got out of retail property maintenace a year ago into a couple of PFI contracts, thankfully one has 24years and the other 21 years to run, but as part of the bigger construction industry pay rises were zero last year and probably not a lot better this year but thankful to have a job that to a large extent isnt now reflective of the economy as retail was.

Geoff's Project
10-03-09, 09:42 PM
I got a 10% pay cut at the beginning of March, ouch!

steamyrotter
10-03-09, 09:49 PM
I haven't had a pay rise since 2002! I think I'll hand my notice in. :roll:

I'd hold the boss to ransom mate.
He obviously doesn't rate you highly enough!!!!

:twisted:

shadow
10-03-09, 09:56 PM
You're right there Chris..

Freelance/Self Unemployed more like lol. Work so far this year..... could count on one hand :( But that is the job I chose years ago. Feast or famine.
Bring on April! :rolleyes:

Annoying thing is that I'm so close to the funds for a big order from GD but can't risk it just yet! grrr.

The wife is a worker bee/drone (nowhere close to management role) for a bank and scored top performance marks for last year and got sweet FA. Likewise the feeling of "lucky to still have a job" mentality being thrown about.
Hard work for crap money.

robert
10-03-09, 10:09 PM
I got out of contracting/self employed at just about the right time, and got a pay review this year and quite a good one too.

Sorry guys. :(

BrettG
10-03-09, 10:13 PM
The few bosses i know are greedy b****ards and wouldn't put it past them to use credit crunch as an excuse. I bet if you check companies house not as many business are in trouble as they say there are.

Toddy
10-03-09, 10:37 PM
I must work with Dave, no pay rise since 2002, however did get a nice Cobra as a bonus 08 ;)
And as our basic is well over a million we cant complain , can we Dave;);)

gareth08
10-03-09, 11:13 PM

Yep.

Just even getting to quote for a job is getting harder and harder and even then it's tough as people undercut you by silly amounts just to get the work.:(

I quoted for a job 2 weeks ago and got a phone call asking if I could do the job for less than the quote they'd had from 3 other people but it would of worked out I would of earned about 60 a day before expenses :twisted::twisted: That wouldn't of even paid a quarter of my mortgage a month let alone anything else :twisted:

slogger
11-03-09, 12:11 AM
Not complaining!!!

0% for us with a prospect of a cut with our contracts stating a rise of the RPI in Nov, which I have been led to believe was 4%. We have achieved record productivity and major improvements to quality standards also, and we excepted a lower rise last year to help meet Government targets even thou we are a private company.
Top levels still to get their bonus with the CEO taking 300,000. Git:twisted:

dolphinboy400
11-03-09, 12:23 AM
Not complaining!!!

0% for us with a prospect of a cut with our contracts stating a rise of the RPI in Nov, which I have been led to believe was 4%. We have achieved record productivity and major improvements to quality standards also, and we excepted a lower rise last year to help meet Government targets even thou we are a private company.
Top levels still to get their bonus with the CEO taking 300,000. Git:twisted:

we got a 2 yr deal just before everything went tits up. This yr is garunteed 4% or the same as the RPI.

The last 4 years we have got about 1-1.5% each year

dingocooke
11-03-09, 01:01 AM

yea, me and my 3 partners took a 47% pay cut in November to help cut overheads and pay wages; none of our small staff has had a pay rise, but theyve not had a cut either; OilerO mate if I were you Id take the 2% and be very happy; I wish I was able to have that!!

As it is I have the stress and responsibility of an owner manager, and the wages of an unskilled worker!!!

Still Im still smiling....:-)

shadow
11-03-09, 01:11 AM
Still Im still smiling....:-)

Likewise, could be a lot worse. :)

Have noticed a lot of "For Sale" & let signs going up. :(

Vidge
11-03-09, 02:32 AM
I took a huge pay cut in 2002 when I became self employed. It's gone down hill from there, currently earning 20% less than I was in 2005. I seem to be working longer hours as well.

So much happier though :)

tarmacscratcher
11-03-09, 02:54 AM
Ahh..........pay rise...I remember that feeling well.
Being self employed it feels like I'm paying for everybody else's.

lumberjack
11-03-09, 05:21 AM
Finally got 2007's pay rise in dec2008 now we're all hiding in fear of our jobs due to a merger.
Paul

StewbieC
11-03-09, 09:03 AM
0% this year.

I'd take that any day rather than be in Jade Goody's situation (or the thousands of others in a similar situation for that fact!)

Next holiday you take, travel to Africa or India, It puts a different type of perspective on life. ;)

So we wont be able to buy that new 42" LCD TV this year. We'll just have to wait!

Stu

the rock doc
11-03-09, 09:45 AM
Next holiday you take, travel to Africa or India, It puts a different type of perspective on life. ;)
Stu

Most of our construction workers are from Nepal and the Indian Subcontinent and earn 100 pounds a month!!!! They work equal time 2 and 2, that's 2 years on and 2 months off!! :(:(:(

simon
11-03-09, 10:26 AM
i not employed for my ability to spell

Or construct sentences it seems!

Simon

ps, Why don't people use their names?

pcoghlan
11-03-09, 11:25 AM
I trade commodities for a living so a 'pay rise' doesn't technically come into it. If I want to earn more I simply must make more profitable trades. That said this year has been a VERY volatile one and I have seen individual days where the gains/losses are far larger than in previous years. There are certainly more days in the month when I wish I simply had a 9-5 job with regular hours.

Paul

Tony Merry
11-03-09, 11:25 AM
I have been informed i wont be getting a pay rise this year. I am on duty 7 days a week 24 hours a day and receive 5o.50 per week, but at least dad is at home and in not in a home,just make the most of what you have.

Neil O
11-03-09, 01:03 PM
My expected payrise should be around 5000% this year.:-D

As long as the lottery win happens.......;)

My staff will not get a rise this year, I have taken a cut. Which is what should happen in any company in a difficult time. Don't apply things to the staff that you are not prepared to accept yourself.
We are bucking the trend in some areas of our business but other areas are really flat.
I, like other bosses throughout the country have to look at wages very carefully. If we give a rise this year because we are doing ok/well, we could be regretting it next year if the downturn continues.

Looking on the bright side, I still have a roof over my head, a Crendon and my business. How lucky do I need to be to be happy?:mrgreen:

nikbj68
11-03-09, 01:29 PM
I work for Eaton, we got 3% agreed in December, but globally there was a pay freeze. I`m being made redunant as they are closing our Factory(265 jobs) in September, I`ve just gone from shifts to days (200+ p/m down) and little on the horizon. Last week they were asking for volunteers to take unpaid leave in March, better than the U.S where they`ve told them!
The MCB`s we make will now be made in Poland, Austria & Czechoslovakia, @ 1/2 the cost. One of our guys who has been over there said that their plants are in a terrible state, inefficient, no H&S to speak of, which must be what makes them cheap! :(

viperjim
11-03-09, 04:12 PM
we took a 20% pay cut in january , but just been told were getting 10% back from april until the end of the year . Just happy to keep my job at the moment

chiffer
11-03-09, 04:35 PM
As being self employed and selling to the retail industry, I have had to take a reduction in commission. We buy from the far east in dollars, which has meant a price increase of about 25% to us. With other costs such as manufacturing and shipping going up I am going to have a bad year. Having said that though, the last few years have been very good. So, I have managed to put some wool on my back, as they say, and hope to ride it out. I do believe things will get better and the economy will be regulated better than it has been, and hopefully do not get back to the boom and bust days.

Dude
11-03-09, 04:42 PM
Was supposed to get put up to my agreed wage this year after passing all my exams and doubling my expected sales last year (no targets) but due to the current economy it has been postponed till next review Feb 2010.

As with others happy to have a job and a roof over my head!

clive a brown
13-03-09, 03:59 PM
whats work?

pension secure to 5%

fingers crossed

clive

jonny m
13-03-09, 04:56 PM
Still got a job, so sort of happy, but got screwed over for the pay rise I was promised at the end of last year and had to accept this.

Then, got a 10% pay cut from this month onwards, and if it couldn't get anyworse...told as HR, I must enforce with our workers...people in the factory and now giving me the evils, and I've actually been screwed over more than them !

Roll on retirement...and be happy for 2%

oiler0
13-03-09, 06:41 PM
to add insult to injury
the worldwide CEO has just got a 55 % increase over last year salary
to put his salary and benefits to 30.8 million,,,,yes that is right

i think he may have 110.000 thousand pist off employees under him now ?

Purple AK
13-03-09, 07:18 PM
Someone just did! :-D Our mortgage payments have just gone down by nearly 300 a month :mrgreen: :cool:

rocketmut
13-03-09, 09:52 PM
My expected payrise should be around 5000% this year.:-D

As long as the lottery win happens.......;)

My staff will not get a rise this year, I have taken a cut. Which is what should happen in any company in a difficult time. Don't apply things to the staff that you are not prepared to accept yourself.
We are bucking the trend in some areas of our business but other areas are really flat.
I, like other bosses throughout the country have to look at wages very carefully. If we give a rise this year because we are doing ok/well, we could be regretting it next year if the downturn continues.

Looking on the bright side, I still have a roof over my head, a Crendon and my business. How lucky do I need to be to be happy?:mrgreen:

Ditto...My wife turned 50 a few days ago and wanted to go to Italy to celebrate, we went to the local Italian restaurant instead. Italy can wait she said, I'd rather see the business through this first.