PDA

View Full Version : Empty Garage

legend
11-03-09, 10:58 AM
The Crendon finally went to the paint shop this morning, it has been soul destroying stripping it down again.

Now I just need to get the garage painted Cobra friendly & get some parts polished & powder coated ready to go back on.

Noel
11-03-09, 11:30 AM
The Crendon finally went to the paint shop this morning, it has been soul destroying stripping it down again.

Now I just need to get the garage painted Cobra friendly & get some parts polished & powder coated ready to go back on.

Yeah but you got to admit it was a rival for KevinW's "look" ;) :p :D :D :D

How long is it going to take Tony?

legend
11-03-09, 12:02 PM
Yeah but you got to admit it was a rival for KevinW's "look" ;) :p :D :D :D

How long is it going to take Tony?

Didn't look as good as Kevin's at least he had some bits the right colour.

I was hopeing to be back on the road for Wheels Day but now looking like Stoneleigh is more realistic.

KevinW
11-03-09, 12:20 PM
Noel - you gonna stop dishin it and get that car you keep bragging about on the road for wheels day ? :-) :-P

My car will be back from the paintshop this w/e, doors, bonnet and boot to follow next week. Hoping to be ready for Wheels day (maybe).

chedz
11-03-09, 12:50 PM
What colour are go going for the main body Kevin and what colour will the doors be this time? ;)

Nobby
11-03-09, 01:03 PM

Tony, it's worth it in the end. Just don't scratch the bloody thing when you put it all back together:confused:

Is it still gonna be baby pink with fluffy dice? :o

When can I have a ride in it? 440 yeah!!

legend
11-03-09, 06:51 PM
Tony, it's worth it in the end. Just don't scratch the bloody thing when you put it all back together:confused:

Is it still gonna be baby pink with fluffy dice? :o

When can I have a ride in it? 440 yeah!!

Nick, I have already accepted that I will scratch it BAH!!!

I am going Serice pink & pink wheel centres!!!

I hope we are all gonna have rides in each others cars this summer, whats the 440 all about?

Ian 46
11-03-09, 09:40 PM
Great colour choice Tony! Seriously though, which hue is for you?

P.S. I haven't scratched mine yet, but I have been working in the garage in the nude as a precaution!

It's sooooo cold!

Ian

V8 BJC
11-03-09, 09:48 PM

Thats just reminded me of my December 08.

What did you decide re the roundels in the end?

Noel
11-03-09, 10:00 PM
Noel - you gonna stop dishin it and get that car you keep bragging about on the road for wheels day ? :-) :-P

My car will be back from the paintshop this w/e, doors, bonnet and boot to follow next week. Hoping to be ready for Wheels day (maybe).

Finally on the road today, but needs a few things ironing out ;) :cool:

V8 BJC
11-03-09, 10:36 PM

Thought I heard something ;)

TINKA
11-03-09, 10:39 PM
Thought I heard something ;)

That would be his MSD-6al unit :oops: :oops: :wink:

V8 BJC
11-03-09, 10:41 PM
That would be his MSD-6al unit :oops: :oops: :wink:

Ha ha :mrgreen:

Noel
11-03-09, 11:11 PM
Ha ha :mrgreen:

ho ho................:D:cool:

Clarkson
11-03-09, 11:21 PM
ho ho................:D:cool:

Where abouts in Worcester park are you?? I come home through Morden up the 217. I'll have to pop in and see you sometime.

legend
12-03-09, 01:36 AM
Thats just reminded me of my December 08.

What did you decide re the roundels in the end?

Hi Brian, still struggling to get the stripes & roundels, if not then its either Viking-ish blue or BMW Merlot without stripes.

Geezer
12-03-09, 08:16 AM
Hi Brian, still struggling to get the stripes & roundels, if not then its either Viking-ish blue or BMW Merlot without stripes.

It's got to be better than yellow...;):D

Pete

wilf
12-03-09, 09:48 AM
Tony - if your car is being painted in the usual place for Crendons, and you need someone to pop around to Pauls and take progress photos or whatever, let me know.

My charges are reasonable.............;)

jeff
12-03-09, 09:56 AM
the weight of all that paint will slow it down mate

legend
12-03-09, 10:15 AM
Tony - if your car is being painted in the usual place for Crendons, and you need someone to pop around to Pauls and take progress photos or whatever, let me know.

My charges are reasonable.............;)

Wilf, thanks for the offer but it is being painted locally by someone I know.

I accept that Paul would have done a perfect job but my friend has given me the ultimate guarentee plus the cost of shipping added to Paul's price meant it was twice as much.

KevinW
12-03-09, 08:42 PM

I heard you just copy U-tube clips and play them through loudspeakers in the garage..?... :-) :-P :mrgreen:

Graham - if I run out of time for wheels day it'll be BRG body and dulux white doors and bonnet.

wilf
12-03-09, 09:24 PM
Tony - what's the "ultimate guarantee"?

BJ if you spot a paint run?

KevinW
12-03-09, 09:40 PM
Tony - what's the "ultimate guarantee"?

BJ if you spot a paint run?

:-) .. you been watching Shameless?

legend
13-03-09, 01:12 AM
Wilf, you've been talking to Jeff.

It is just so much better when someone you know & trust tells you the work they are doing for you will be RIGHT.

wilf
13-03-09, 08:54 AM
:-) .. you been watching Shameless?

Never miss it - so darkly funny.

Nobby
13-03-09, 01:11 PM
Nick, I have already accepted that I will scratch it BAH!!!

I am going Serice pink & pink wheel centres!!!

I hope we are all gonna have rides in each others cars this summer, whats the 440 all about?

I meant 448..... sorry to diss your big one! Still think you need a bigger air cleaner :rolleyes: - I was just paying homage to your cubic inches :rolleyes:

Saw one on TV recently with a 572 in it. Wonder if anyone's done a cob with a 27 litre Merlin installed yet :p - someones done that to a Rover SD1.

Noel
13-03-09, 01:15 PM
I heard you just copy U-tube clips and play them through loudspeakers in the garage..?... :-) :-P :mrgreen:

You would think that I would at least find a decent clip to use? ;) :D:D

KevinW
13-03-09, 01:23 PM
Noel, can you pm me a tel no for a quick consultation.
cheers, Kevin

V8 BJC
13-03-09, 02:01 PM

Whats the challenge with stripes & roundels?:confused:

wilf
13-03-09, 02:31 PM
Trying to convince people they are not gay..........:mrgreen:

Ian 46
13-03-09, 04:33 PM
Gay for street use! Not gay for Goodwood!

legend
13-03-09, 05:50 PM
Whats the challenge with stripes & roundels?:confused:

The problem is getting them marked out with a perfect gap like Steve-Arts car.

craggle
13-03-09, 05:53 PM
You mean the gap between the circles and the stripes?

I got my local sign writers to laser cut some masks for me from vinyl. Worked great with very even and consistent gaps and radius.
The stripes are easy to do with fineline tape for the edges and standard masking tape in between.

Craig.

legend
13-03-09, 06:00 PM
Sorry Craig, how could I forget your car.

Do I remember you had car painted White then masked & painted Avus Blue?

craggle
13-03-09, 06:13 PM
Yeah, That's pretty much it, We didn't paint the whole car white, Just the general area of the stripes and circles,
The rest of the car was masked in plastic sheet to stop too much overspray dust. Once that was dry the circles and stripes were masked and the white excess was re-sanded to blend out the edges of the white back to the level of the grey primer and make it all smooth again.
BMW Avus blue was then applied over the rest of the car. Once unmasked it was clear coated then sanded and mopped to bring back the shine.

Craig.

legend
13-03-09, 06:22 PM
HMMM maybe thats the way forward it definitely worked for you M8.

Cheers Tony.

craggle
13-03-09, 06:46 PM
Hi Tony

If you need any help laying out the stripes or anything just let me know. :mrgreen:

The company that made my paint masks was Plumridge & Peters (http://www.theconstructioncentre.co.uk/companies/plumridge-and-peters-ltd/7404/) in Billingshurst. They may even have some vinyl left over. It was a semi transparent blue colour material.

You can see from the picture that we masked the stripes right on the edge in order to paint the white. We did then have to sand where the white joined the grey primer at the top and bottom of the circles. This did prove time consuming though to prevent a step showing in the blue top coat. We later agreed that spraying a bigger area and blending that in away from the stripes would have probably been a better way of doing it. Worked out well in the end though.

Craig.

KevinW
13-03-09, 06:50 PM
like it - if i ever get to that stage, thats the style for me.
look forward to seeing your car in all its glory tony.

V8 BJC
13-03-09, 07:34 PM
The problem is getting them marked out with a perfect gap like Steve-Arts car.

Surely not a problem for a pro paint shop :confused:

craggle
13-03-09, 08:09 PM
Brian

Masking perfect circles on a curved surface with straight masking tape is extremely difficult for anyone. Laser cut masks are the easy way to get it right.;)

Craig.

legend
13-03-09, 08:11 PM
Hi Brian, the stripes are OK, marking roundels on a curved surface is awkward, do both with a body colour gap on fresh paint & people are reluctant to get involved.

I hope it happens, I know its not everyone's cup of tea but its my prefered colour scheme.

Cheers, Tony.

V8 BJC
13-03-09, 09:06 PM
Hope it works out as you want Tony
Good luck
Brian

wilf
13-03-09, 10:07 PM
Tony, this had better be good or you will disowned by the Krendon Krue.........:mrgreen:

V8 BJC
13-03-09, 10:14 PM
Dilemmas dilemmas :mrgreen:

wilf
13-03-09, 10:25 PM
He might still get his BJ though - but what a price to pay..........the only Crendon that should have stayed in gelcoat. LOL

craggle
13-03-09, 10:34 PM
Hi Brian, the stripes are OK, marking roundels on a curved surface is awkward, do both with a body colour gap on fresh paint & people are reluctant to get involved.

I hope it happens, I know its not everyone's cup of tea but its my prefered colour scheme.

Cheers, Tony.

Your right Tony.
Sticking masking tape and sticky paint masks onto base coat is a risky business. I took the chance that it would be OK and luckily it was but I have seen the results of masking tape residue under clear coat. Not nice and impossible to get rid off.
We did consider painting one coat of clear over the white first to seal it before doing the blue base coat but we tried a few samples first and decided to take the chance.

I say, you will only paint it once so if you want stripes make sure you get them, but a single colour did seem very appealing to me at one point!

Craig.

legend
14-03-09, 01:51 AM
Tony, this had better be good or you will disowned by the Krendon Krue.........:mrgreen:

Wilf, JK has given me permmission so the Krue had better behave!!!

wilf
14-03-09, 11:05 AM
That would be a first............8)

KevinW
16-03-09, 06:55 PM
I've lost the thread - so what colour scheme are you gong for Tony?

- My car delivered back to me on Sat, transformed - starting to re-assemble it now.

legend
16-03-09, 08:22 PM
Kevin, I thought everyone local knew my 1st choice is yellow with white stripes & roundels, the look of dis-beleif on most peoples faces I thought it was common knowledge.

craggle
16-03-09, 08:49 PM
I like yellow and white. There's one in the local area I see occasionally in yellow with silver stripes. I haven't managed to find to who it is yet though.

Craig.

wilf
16-03-09, 09:37 PM
If it is a mustard kind of yellow, I have seen cars painted that colour that look the dogs. Of course, if it is a Leyland Primrose Yellow, all bets are off. :mrgreen:

dingocooke
16-03-09, 09:46 PM
oooh yellow thats a bit too close to an AA van for my liking LOL Ive seen ferraris and ducatis in yellow, but it plays havoc with the resale value!!

KevinW
16-03-09, 10:20 PM
Kevin, I thought everyone local knew my 1st choice is yellow with white stripes & roundels, the look of dis-beleif on most peoples faces I thought it was common knowledge.

thats what i thought, but got the wrong impressoin you were doing something else. anyway, i look forward to seeing it.

Neil O
16-03-09, 10:50 PM
Yellow?

Are you serious?

I'm on the phone to JK first thing in the morning, he'll put a stop to your evil plans! :mrgreen:

craggle
16-03-09, 10:52 PM
I heard he's going to upgrade to a Chevy soon........;):mrgreen:

Craig.

Neil O
16-03-09, 10:55 PM
I heard he's going to upgrade to a Chevy soon........;):mrgreen:

Craig.
Why? Does he have a Windsor? :twisted:

KevinW
16-03-09, 11:21 PM
Yellow?

Are you serious?

I'm on the phone to JK first thing in the morning, he'll put a stop to your evil plans! :mrgreen:

the ash vale crendon's going to be Lady Penelope pink :-D

actually Tony' colour scheme looks pretty good - seen it in the legate book pic of the AC stand at Earl's Court in the 90s.

legend
17-03-09, 01:34 AM
oooh yellow thats a bit too close to an AA van for my liking LOL Ive seen ferraris and ducatis in yellow, but it plays havoc with the resale value!!

Hi Steve, I know its risky if I get the colour wrong it will look crap but if I get it right I think it will be awesome & it shows that I hope I never have to sell it.

Geezer
17-03-09, 01:47 AM
Hi Steve, I know its risky if I get the colour wrong it will look crap but if I get it right I think it will be awesome & it shows that I hope I never have to sell it.

Yo Tony

Whatever colour it ends up, if it's good enough for you it'll be good enough for everyone else - it's just a wind up... ;):D:D

Pete

craggle
17-03-09, 09:27 AM
Just one more thing Tony,

If you are going yellow and white then I suggest painting the whole car white first then masking the stripes. Yellow will need a light colour primer so you may as well use the white basecoat to help.

Craig.

Ian 46
17-03-09, 10:28 AM
Tony,

Brave choice with the colour. Isn't there a racing Cobra called the 'yellow canary'? Seriously though, yellow car, parked in a field on a summers day, or travelling anywhere in summer for that matter, absolute fly magnet. Don't ask me how I know, but never again!

Ian

legend
17-03-09, 10:41 AM
Hi Ian, yes I know from personal experience about them being bug magnets.

They do say they are less likely to be involved in accidents, probably other cars run for the hills!!!

Noel
17-03-09, 10:52 AM
Tony, do you realise the grief that my wife gave me when she heard that you might be going blue :confused: :confused: She had even got some photos of yellow ones form the States for me to send on to you so that you could decide on a shade, she couldn't understand how you had changed your mind over your "dream" car. She'll be happy when I tell her ;) :D:D

I think it will look brilliant ;)

legend
17-03-09, 11:15 AM
Hi Noel, I remember everyone with positive comments so of course I remember your wife liking the idea, if it happens I think you might lose her for an hours cruise in a slower car at some stage!!!

Neil O
17-03-09, 11:18 AM
Hi Noel, I remember everyone with positive comments so of course I remember your wife liking the idea, if it happens I think you might lose her for an hours cruise in a slower car at some stage!!!

Are you making a move on Noel's wife?! :eek::eek:;)

Nevermind yellow being a "bug" magnet........:twisted:

legend
17-03-09, 11:27 AM
Hi Neil, hmm really had not thought of that YEAH RIGHT!!!

Have you spoken to JK yet about my evil plans?

Neil O
17-03-09, 11:31 AM
Have you spoken to JK yet about my evil plans?

Today.

It will be Guardsman blue and Wimbledon white, just you wait and see.;)

legend
17-03-09, 11:35 AM
Today.

It will be Dakar Yellow and Diamond white, just you wait and see.;)

Glad we agree M8.

Neil O
17-03-09, 01:07 PM
....and so it begins.

legend
26-03-09, 09:46 AM
Update, Craggle top bloke that he is very kindly sent me photos & notes on how he did his car, which I took to the paintshop & they are a lot more confident of doing it but it is extra work which obviously is extra money.

nuf_said
26-03-09, 03:53 PM
Tony,

Brave choice with the colour. Isn't there a racing Cobra called the 'yellow canary'? Seriously though, yellow car, parked in a field on a summers day, or travelling anywhere in summer for that matter, absolute fly magnet. Don't ask me how I know, but never again!

Ian

That might be this one I saw at Mallory - looked and sounded v mean, along with its brown friend.

Also a bright yellow one at a show in Doncaster - note the tow bar.

Nuf Said