PDA

View Full Version : DB Replicas: Authentic style side vents.

dave
13-03-09, 11:42 PM
For those who haven't seen the thread on S/T.
I have been playing around with the idea of making authentic style side vents.
I think I've cracked it.:D

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/v8cobra/DSCF0006.jpg

Now the question?????
How much should I sell them for?

dave
13-03-09, 11:48 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/v8cobra/DSCF0006-1.jpg

That's better.

craggle
14-03-09, 12:01 AM
Must be worth a fiver or so?? :rolleyes::mrgreen:

Nice work Dave.

Craig.

dave
14-03-09, 12:28 AM
Must be worth a fiver or so?? :rolleyes::mrgreen:

Nice work Dave.

Craig.

D'ya think?:D:D:rolleyes:

V8 BJC
14-03-09, 01:19 AM
Hi Dave,
as you know I got mine from finishline with a whole load of stuff while in the US. They sell them for a good price but now with the FX rates, landed UK price is much higher.

Only other supplier I know of is Europa and they are bl88dy expensive. Therefore limited competition.

How about pitching 25% below the Europa price.

Have you made them slightly talleer to fill the Std Dax body hole?

BTW - they look great

Brian

een1bhs
14-03-09, 01:22 AM
Very nice Dave, they look spot on! What they made from? Have you seen my side vents I made thread homemade side vents, look very similiar nearly as good as mine :-), we should swap tips. ;-)

Its bloody hard to get the angled outer rectangle right isn't it.

You will easily be able to match europa's pricing, but probably best a bit lower.

dave
14-03-09, 01:57 AM
Very nice Dave, they look spot on! What they made from? Have you seen my side vents I made thread homemade side vents, look very similiar nearly as good as mine :-), we should swap tips. ;-)

Its bloody hard to get the angled outer rectangle right isn't it.

You will easily be able to match europa's pricing, but probably best a bit lower.

Yeah, saw your thread.
These ones are alloy. I think brushed stainless would look better....But I don't know how much more of a pain in the rear it will be to form.
I have made a jig/buck for forming the frame around.
I only had one pair cut out, so I was sort of making the jig from them. When I get some more cut out I'll know better whether my markings for position on the jig are in the right place or not, or need tweaking.:D

Lloyd Barnes
14-03-09, 09:11 AM
For those who haven't seen the thread on S/T.
I have been playing around with the idea of making authentic style side vents.
I think I've cracked it.:D

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/v8cobra/DSCF0006.jpg

Now the question?????
How much should I sell them for?

99 a pair? Europas stainless ones are 110 although their ally are 140? :confused: Guess the other competition is the Dax ones at 67.50 but nowhere near as nice looking.

I was about to order some of these from Europa as I'm not blown away by the Dax ones I've got. If you will have them available before end May I'll hang on and get them from you instead.

realyweely
14-03-09, 09:43 AM
I would happily pay 10 English pounds for those. Then again they wont fit my Sumo.......will they ??
If they did I would happily pay around 90 English pounds for them, plus 2 rashers of my bacon and an unmarked 45 of "Lipstick on your collar" by Connie Francis.

craggle
14-03-09, 10:27 AM
Worth more than a fiver then? :rolleyes:

Got a picture of them in place Dave?

Personally I like the Dax ones but just curious what they look like.

Craig.

robinj66
14-03-09, 12:01 PM
Then again they wont fit my Sumo.......will they ??

Yes they will:D You just need to cut the mouldings out.

TINKA
14-03-09, 04:35 PM
They look really good Dave :D :D

brian twigg
14-03-09, 05:41 PM
Hello Dave.
As an interested kitcar builder but not of Cobra's I would think that the very nice looking vents should be sold at whatever the material cost is, plus your labour time in the manufacture of them plus a reasonable markup.

They should not be based on what others are selling them at or worse still, how much do I think I can charge for them.

As an obviously very skilled and well thought of artisan, that would seem fair to anyone, and I would think from the high regard you are held in on this site, is probably the path you will travel.

Kind regards,

Brian.

dingocooke
14-03-09, 08:04 PM
99 a pair mate, no brainer.

rocketmut
14-03-09, 09:12 PM
Do you a swap Dave.:-D

dave
14-03-09, 10:48 PM
The first pair (In the picture) cost me 2 days labour, plus materials and cutting, so about 650 all together!!! :shock::shock:

I will check what price I can get them laser cut for, and also look into brushed stainless as an option, which should be less weather sensitive.

If all goes well, then I think 70 per pair would be nice . That's even cheaper than Summit, by the time you have got them here.

Does anyone know if the Europa stainless ones are the same style as the alloy ones? I would have expected a stainless version to be more expensive due to it being more difficult to work with????:confused::confused:

Clarkson
14-03-09, 10:57 PM
Do you think they could be anodised??

craggle
15-03-09, 01:16 AM
So long as they are made from non anodised aluminium or aluminium alloy they will anodise fine.

You could get them done a really nice shade or purple or pink!:mrgreen:

Don't forget anodised colours do fade over time due to UV exposure.

Craig.

Clarkson
15-03-09, 01:35 AM
So long as they are made from non anodised aluminium or aluminium alloy they will anodise fine.

You could get them done a really nice shade or purple or pink!:mrgreen:

Don't forget anodised colours do fade over time due to UV exposure.

Craig.

How do I know that craig????

I'm getting them anodised the same natural colour so they should not fade.

oiler0
15-03-09, 08:26 AM
hi
dave
i would be interested in as set as long that they fit the DAX body properly

the last set i brought was such a bad fit i just sold them on
the funny part is i sold them for 50 and about two years later i see their up for sale again for 75

oiler0

dave
15-03-09, 02:56 PM
hi
dave
i would be interested in as set as long that they fit the DAX body properly

the last set i brought was such a bad fit i just sold them on
the funny part is i sold them for 50 and about two years later i see their up for sale again for 75

oiler0

Hi Oiler.
Where was the "Fit " problem?
I have found original ones to be a little bit short in the height, mine are 3mm taller.
You will have problems around the servo, to reduce how much the back of the vent needs trimming you will have to trim down the return edge on the Dax body to give more room. ;)

dave
15-03-09, 03:31 PM
Some piccies of one I have just trimmed to fit around the Dax servo and a Kirkham one for comparison. ;)

Geezer
15-03-09, 09:54 PM
Some piccies of one I have just trimmed to fit around the Dax servo and a Kirkham one for comparison. ;)

Nice one Dave. Can't see Dax selling many if you make those available. Did you consider making them to fit inside of the recess so the the blades are level with the body?

Pete

c.lightburn
15-03-09, 10:15 PM
Actually I like the way they sit inside the body making it easier to polish both the body and the vents. Dave, will they fit in place of my Dax ones ie on the same brackets?

dave
15-03-09, 10:23 PM
Did you consider making them to fit inside of the recess so the the blades are level with the body?

Pete

Hi Pete.
Christ no! They are a pain in the arse to form as it is, trying to make them fit perfectly into the Dax recess would be a nightmare. The rear vent/blade, which is part of the fram would have to have a flat on it too.

Actually I like the way they sit inside the body making it easier to polish both the body and the vents. Dave, will they fit in place of my Dax ones ie on the same brackets?

Hi Clive
No brackets on them, something could be rigged up though I should think.

Just noticed that in the pics. the angle of the fins/blades/whatever! is not the same angle as the ends of the opening in the body. i have since "squashed the vent a little and now it's the same.

dave
15-03-09, 10:34 PM
That's a bit better....

Geezer
15-03-09, 10:49 PM
That's a bit better....

Understood Dave, it was the clearance problem with the servo that could be cleared by moving into the recess:D

Pete

dave
26-03-09, 04:56 PM
Here's the latest incarnation, in brushed stainless.
This is the prototype set, I'm having another 7 sets cut out now.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/v8cobra/STAINLESSSIDEVENTS.jpg?t=1238082935

MarkyC
26-03-09, 05:15 PM
They look smart Dave, I would be up for a set of those when they're available.
Have you come up with a way of fixing them yet?
cheers.

Dude
26-03-09, 05:35 PM
Really stupid question i know but how do you get the brushed look on stainless? :confused:

Miket
26-03-09, 05:57 PM
Really stupid question i know but how do you get the brushed look on stainless? :confused:

Dohhhhhhh, buy a sheet of brushed stainless steel. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Dude
26-03-09, 06:00 PM
Dohhhhhhh, buy a sheet of brushed stainless steel. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Ha Ha, other than that?

I have my side vents in stainless, but they mirror everything in the engine bay, I think the brushed look is nice! :D

dave
26-03-09, 06:02 PM

It is actually sanded to give that finish.;)

dave
26-03-09, 06:07 PM
They look smart Dave, I would be up for a set of those when they're available.
Have you come up with a way of fixing them yet?
cheers.

Hi Mark.
Because there are so many variations in the way different kit manufacturers fix their side vents the only really universal way is to use two pieces of light angle alloy and bond that to the body of the car and then fix the vents to them either by bonding (silicone etc) or fixing screws through the top and bottom of the vent frame. ;)

MarkyC
26-03-09, 06:14 PM
So in that case I can make those fit the fixings I bonded in for the Dax vents.
When do think you will be selling them Dave?

383 stroker
26-03-09, 07:22 PM
A very nice job Dave, you've got me interested. Let us know price and availability when you can, i for one will definately place an order.

keep up the good work

een1bhs
26-03-09, 07:27 PM
They are very very smart Dave, incredibly neat, you have them sorted!

Ben

ldtopham
26-03-09, 08:21 PM
They look very good Dave. I'm sure you'll have no trouble shifting them!

V8 BJC
26-03-09, 11:16 PM
Dave, they look superb.
Wish you had made then a year ago ;)

dingocooke
26-03-09, 11:36 PM
Ha Ha, other than that?

I have my side vents in stainless, but they mirror everything in the engine bay, I think the brushed look is nice! :D

If you can get them out, you could take them and have them bead blasted or vapur blasted to give tham a nice dull satin finish; looks nice and sort of time weathered

MarkyC
01-04-09, 12:35 PM
Any updates yet Dave ?

dave
01-04-09, 01:34 PM
Any updates yet Dave ?

Hi Mark.
So far so good.
I want to get a few sets made, hopefully by the end of next week, then I'll post up that they are available.
70 per pair + 7.40 postage (Special delivery).;)

MarkyC
01-04-09, 03:21 PM
Great stuff !
Cheers Dave.

Nigel Foster
01-04-09, 04:50 PM
I am indeed favoured and Honoured to receive the First pair and Thunder Road , and indeed am I ,who are fitting them are very impressed by the quality and standard and Authenticity of them . I will post Piccies when they are done but , trust me , they are very very good and i'm not just saying that cos Dave let me have 'em for a Tenner !!

Nigel Foster
01-04-09, 05:07 PM
I am indeed favoured and Honoured to receive the First pair and Thunder Road , and indeed am I ,who are fitting them are very impressed by the quality and standard and Authenticity of them . I will post Piccies when they are done but , trust me , they are very very good and i'm not just saying that cos Dave let me have 'em for a Tenner !!

madjohnny
01-04-09, 05:10 PM
Is that 20 as you posted twice??? :rolleyes:

Nigel Foster
02-04-09, 12:07 PM
Is that 20 as you posted twice??? :rolleyes:

Yup and i think Dave will hold me to it !!!

runt
02-04-09, 03:57 PM
LORDY! Its good to be back at last with a new pc..!
Congrats Dave, superb job, as you know I love that kind of vent:cool:, I guess your next move may be the 'cheese grater' design as worn by John Woolfe's competition 427 GTM 700F when restored by Brian Angliss at Autokraft..?
With your handiwork perhaps you could also come up with a bespoke stainless steel comb to use on my precious (and pricey) Barnet..?

Paul;)

dave
02-04-09, 11:32 PM
Latest:-
I have a few (about 5) pairs made, and more on the way. I think I'll take some of them to Stoneleigh, If I haven't sold them all before hand. :D
If anyone wants a pair before the Stoneleigh show(Or the dax open day, I'll be there too) then PM me. ;)

383 stroker
02-04-09, 11:40 PM
Dave you have pm.

MarkyC
03-04-09, 06:16 AM
Dave you have another pm :)

dinosoar
03-04-09, 07:36 AM
Nice work Dave,

I worked out a pattern and made a jig some years ago. I thought about offering them at the time but didn't carry the idea to conclusion.
Seems you may be on to a winner.

Best of luck,

Andy

johnnyp
03-04-09, 09:26 AM
Dave, you have another pm:mrgreen:

dave
06-05-09, 08:01 PM
Update time.
In addition to the brushed stainless vents:-
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/v8cobra/STAINLESSSIDEVENTS.jpg?t=1241636330

I am now able to offer vents in "craggle" finish. (polished)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/v8cobra/DSCF0001.jpg?t=1241636423

same price (70 per pair + 7.70 P+P) :D

craggle
06-05-09, 08:06 PM
Now I wasn't really tempted before but now............

Looking good Dave.

Craig.

Clarkson
06-05-09, 09:04 PM
Are you fitting those bling vents to your builds now or is that an optional extra??

Noel
06-05-09, 09:58 PM
Dave, after seeing the rubbish that Europa are putting out recently you should clean up with these. Many people asked me over the weekend where I got mine from, looks like you will have many customers......I will send all future enquiries your way :cool:

dave
06-05-09, 10:20 PM
I was looking at some new sample ones Europa may be offering (At the weekend), they looked pretty nice if you ask me. I think they may have a new supplier. ;):rolleyes::mrgreen:

craggle
06-05-09, 10:47 PM
Just one question Dave.

On the polished ones I can see the reflection of the rivet on the blade. Will you see that when fitted? Could you perhaps spot weld or even Tig weld the join on the polished versions?

Do you need to modify the opening at all on the Dax body to fit them?

Craig.

dave
06-05-09, 11:01 PM
Just one question Dave.

On the polished ones I can see the reflection of the rivet on the blade. Will you see that when fitted? Could you perhaps spot weld or even Tig weld the join on the polished versions?

Do you need to modify the opening at all on the Dax body to fit them?

Craig.

That's 2 questions!

Trust me to pick one of the pairs with the rivet in tht way around. I have since changed them so that the top of the rivet is on the inside, you can still see it though.
Dax body:- It depends. I have fitted 2 sets so far and one set fitted with the recess intact (Slight mod to the vents(pic in this thread somewhere)), the other needed the recess trimming back and stil needed a mod to clear the servo????

craggle
06-05-09, 11:11 PM
I guess the extended footwell pushes the servo even further forward?
Good job I haven't got them.

I will take a look over the weekend and see what I think. I didn't really want to modify the body as it's all been painted now.

Cheers

Craig.

Clarkson
06-05-09, 11:14 PM
Craig, buy a set they look the nuts when fitted!

I had my helper round the other day to fit mine, and was really worth the effort! Spent 8hrs only on one side alone,but we did chop the hole lip away and mounted the vent flush to the body.

No paint damage while fitting.

slogger
06-05-09, 11:17 PM
Craig, buy a set they look the nuts when fitted!

I had my helper round the other day to fit mine, and was really worth the effort! Spent 8hrs only on one side alone,but we did chop the hole lip away and mounted the vent flush to the body.

No paint damage while fitting.

Clarkson m8, any pictures?:D

Clarkson
06-05-09, 11:19 PM
Clarkson m8, any pictures?:D

I'll post some up here over the weekend.;)

slogger
06-05-09, 11:21 PM
I'll post some up here over the weekend.;)

Cheers m8. Thinking of doing the same to mine while I have the master cylinders out...................if I ever manage to fix the house faster than it breaks.;)

Clarkson
06-05-09, 11:26 PM
Cheers m8. Thinking of doing the same to mine while I have the master cylinders out...................if I ever manage to fix the house faster than it breaks.;)

Yeah if you have them out,best to do it now. I have loads of room around there so no problem for me. I think BJC had to mod his vent on his DAX

V8 BJC
07-05-09, 01:22 PM
Yeah if you have them out,best to do it now. I have loads of room around there so no problem for me. I think BJC had to mod his vent on his DAX

Correct

Needed to mod slightly at the back to clear the brake servo but you can hardly see it from the outside.

dave
07-05-09, 05:00 PM
Here is the mod.
The line shows where the inside edge of the vent frame/rear slat should run and you can see where it has had to be trimmed to clear the servo.

Steve
07-05-09, 06:11 PM
Here is the mod.
The line shows where the inside edge of the vent frame/rear slat should run and you can see where it has had to be trimmed to clear the servo.

IF you had the balls, and a steady hand with a dremel, you can cut back the return lip so that you wouldnt foul the servo..

Easy if you haven't painted, a bit harder if you have!

Looking good Dave

Gonch
07-05-09, 06:56 PM
Correct

Needed to mod slightly at the back to clear the brake servo but you can hardly see it from the outside.

Any pics BJC? Hows the rest of the rebuild going, almost done?

V8 BJC
07-05-09, 07:07 PM
IF you had the balls, and a steady hand with a dremel, you can cut back the return lip so that you wouldnt foul the servo..

Easy if you haven't painted, a bit harder if you have!

Looking good Dave

Steve, my I had to mod the vent for my Dax even with the return lip removed.

I had the balls to cut out the lip on a painted car, not mine though ;)

I was a bit reluctant on Clarksons car but turned our good in the end.

Best way to do it is to use a speed-click cutting wheel on a dremel rather than a sanding wheel. Masking tape stops the paint cracking.

V8 BJC
07-05-09, 07:38 PM
Here's a pic of my car with the new vent and return lip removed. Anyone interested in doing this will need to ensure that the the vent will fit the hole with the return lip removed. I got my vents from finishline and they looked a good fit with the lip in place. The Dax mould is such that the hole gets bigger (top to bottom) with the lip removed. Not a problem if you are going to the bodyshop but would be an issue if not.

The vents do fit the SR body with the lip removed (JUST!!) but it requires carefull placement of the vent so that you cannot see any of the side edges of the vent through the hole.

slogger
07-05-09, 10:36 PM
Here's a pic of my car with the new vent and return lip removed. Anyone interested in doing this will need to ensure that the the vent will fit the hole with the return lip removed. I got my vents from finishline and they looked a good fit with the lip in place. The Dax mould is such that the hole gets bigger (top to bottom) with the lip removed. Not a problem if you are going to the bodyshop but would be an issue if not.

The vents do fit the SR body with the lip removed (JUST!!) but it requires carefull placement of the vent so that you cannot see any of the side edges of the vent through the hole.

Cheers Brian, looks really good. I didn't realise that the holes in the wing were that far out.:(

michael111185
31-10-09, 06:12 PM
That's 2 questions!

Trust me to pick one of the pairs with the rivet in tht way around. I have since changed them so that the top of the rivet is on the inside, you can still see it though.
Dax body:- It depends. I have fitted 2 sets so far and one set fitted with the recess intact (Slight mod to the vents(pic in this thread somewhere)), the other needed the recess trimming back and stil needed a mod to clear the servo????
hi,
how could i order your side vents for a dax (the chrome ones .)

dave
31-10-09, 06:32 PM
Hi Michael.
You will have to send me some money :D:D
Then I can send some to you. ;)

michael111185
31-10-09, 09:08 PM
Hi Michael.
You will have to send me some money :D:D
Then I can send some to you. ;)

hi,
i tought they where for free ;) what is the total price to ship them to belgium .
do you accept paypal ?
best regards michael .

serge jonkers
02-11-09, 07:03 PM
hi,
i tought they where for free ;) what is the total price to ship them to belgium .
do you accept paypal ?
best regards michael .

Hi Dave,

same question from me, I also like the chrome vents very much and thinking of buying them for myself for Christmas. How much are they incluiding shipping to the Netherlands ? Can I pay with a bank transfer ?

Best regards

Serge

dave
04-11-09, 07:59 AM
Hi guys.
The side vents are 70 (GBP). The postage is 10 (GBP).
I prefer bank transfer as payment (Or cash).
If you would like some then please cointact me via e-mail info@v8cobra.com (info@v8cobra.com) for bank details.
Cheers.
Dave. ;)

Dutch Paul
04-11-09, 04:48 PM
Hi guys.
The side vents are £70 (GBP). The postage is £10 (GBP).
I prefer bank transfer as payment (Or cash).
If you would like some then please cointact me via e-mail info@v8cobra.com (info@v8cobra.com) for bank details.
Cheers.
Dave. ;)
Hehe

COIN-TACT - I see what you did there Dave. ;) :D

Jazz427
20-07-11, 11:51 AM
dave, I know this is an old thread but you look like the cobra expert, I have a pilgrim sumo and want some vents like yours, alloy or brushed stainless steel, have you developed them for the pilgrim and are you still selling them?

dave
20-07-11, 11:58 AM
I haven't made any for a while (been too busy/lazy).
They have been fitted to a number of Sumos.
I think Gary at www.sidepipes.co.uk (http://www.sidepipes.co.uk) makes them now.
or these guys:- Cobra Side Vents Stainless Polished | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cobra-Side-Vents-Stainless-Polished-/270779965543?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0bbe6067)

aaronjb
20-07-11, 01:28 PM
I haven't made any for a while (been too busy/lazy).
They have been fitted to a number of Sumos.
I think Gary at www.sidepipes.co.uk (http://www.sidepipes.co.uk) makes them now.
or these guys:- Cobra Side Vents Stainless Polished | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cobra-Side-Vents-Stainless-Polished-/270779965543?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0bbe6067)

I think Archie Ash on eBay is sidepipes (http://www.sidepipes.co.uk) - the pictures they're using for the various wares are identical (and the two locations - Hadleigh and Hawkwell are right around the corner from each other).. :)

Purple AK
20-07-11, 11:15 PM
I think Archie Ash on eBay is sidepipes (http://www.sidepipes.co.uk) - the pictures they're using for the various wares are identical (and the two locations - Hadleigh and Hawkwell are right around the corner from each other).. :)
You're correct.