PDA

View Full Version : A little Help to find what running gear I have

spitfire1942
15-03-09, 09:57 PM
Hello All

I has yet have not started to pull my new Viper apart, I am finding I look at the forum most days and find it really intresting to see what people are up to. I want to get a haynes manual so I can start to learn how the running gear goes together but I do not yet know what the running gear is from !

I have put a few images of the front Build up to see if anyone knows what it is or if there is a way of telling,

I have looked for the nice easy manufacturers markings but nothing and cant find any part numbers as yet so a little stuck, The kit was delivered in 1993 to the first owner but thats all I know.

Any help is much appretiated

Thanks

Rob

TINKA
16-03-09, 12:29 AM
This looks a bit like what you have if so then it looks like you have a Cortina setup.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/viper-tech-forum/29781-cortina-front-coil-over-modification.html

Purple AK
16-03-09, 08:50 AM
Hi Rob.
Do you have 4 or 5 wheel studs? If it has 5 it is Mk2 Ford Granada, (the rear subframe points to that)

spitfire1942
16-03-09, 09:07 PM
Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies The Wheel is a 5 stud and so sounds like A Ford based kit. so getting closer.

Thanks Rob

TINKA
16-03-09, 11:05 PM
Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies The Wheel is a 5 stud and so sounds like A Ford based kit. so getting closer.

Thanks Rob

From what I under stand the kit will be either a Ford or Jag and it is clearly not a Jag. So I would agree with Chris and say it is a Granada based on the fact it is a 5 stud wheel and obviously ford.

viperjim
18-03-09, 03:04 AM
the front end pics look very much like cortina to me , no expert but i cant recall seeing a granada front end looking like that , could do with more pics of the rear . Im sure anyone with a cortina based viper will tell you , try to p.m kev chard his is corty based he will no for certain

robinj66
18-03-09, 08:00 AM
Jim - the Cortina and Granada Mk II front end are extremely similar. Cortina was 4 stud and the Granada was 5 stud. There was also a small difference in track.

If you look closely at the pic under the car you can see part of a trailing arm which wasn't present on the Cortina. I didn't see it at first. It's a bit confusing at first sight 'cos the rear subframe (V-wing) hasn't been used.

kevchard
18-03-09, 12:26 PM
Hi
If it has 5 studs then i am sure it will be Granada. Cortina rear axle was a 'beam' type eg solid with diff and half shats all one big lump that goes up and down. If diff is mounted on chassis and arms operate independantly then i am sure it will be Granada. Only exception might be sierra rear end converted to 5 stud Granny hubs.
Give me a shout if you want a chat.
Cheers
Kevin

spitfire1942
19-03-09, 01:19 PM
Thanks Guys I will take a look from the discriptions Given

Thanks Rob

spitfire1942
19-03-09, 10:01 PM
Hello all

I have taken a look tonight and seems like kevchard's description is right, I have put a couple of images on the gallery to make sure.

Thanks

Rob

robinj66
19-03-09, 10:34 PM
Those latest pics just add to the confusion:D

The rear is either Sierra or Mark 3 Granada. My best guess is Granada, given the thicker driveshafts and the spring setup. If it's 5 stud, then that would settle it.

Sierra's usually have a 7" diff (except some of the Cosworths {?}) whereas the Granada's mostly had a 7.5 " unit.

The front end is definitely Cortina (4 or 5) or Granada Mark 2 !;)

Not the same donor:confused::mrgreen:

steamyrotter
20-03-09, 12:30 AM
my 2 pence

The front beam resembles the cortina 3,4,5. If 5 stud then Granada as cortina is 4 stud.
Rear end is definitely not cortina. It resembles sierra(ish) in layout, so probable granada but outside my knowledge base.

I can definitely without a doubt confirm it is not a reliant robin though!
:rolleyes:

spitfire1942
20-03-09, 08:10 PM
Hell guys

Yes the rear has 5 studs more & more it sounds like a granada I am going to bring it into the hopefull sunshine this weekend and try and find some non rusty part numbers.

I have a cobra but can only dream of the streamlined front end of the reliant, here's to batman for wanting to design a car and naming it after his friend.

Stu J
20-03-09, 09:41 PM
The diff seemed to look like the sierra's, however the drive shafts I think are the LSD type, which makes it Granada IMO, plus having discs too.

spitfire1942
24-03-09, 10:11 AM
Hello All

I have recieved a Email from Bob busbridge @ cobretti

Hi Rob
Sorry for delay. The suspension on your Viper4 kit is Ford Cortina front and Ford Sierra independent rear.
The kit was originally all Ford Cortina Mk 4 but somebody has fitted a Sierra rear axle.
Hope this helps.

Although some of you guys said that because it has 5 studs it can't be a cortina just wondering on anyones thoughts

Thanks

Rob

robinj66
24-03-09, 10:48 AM
It's very difficult to be sure without seeing it in the flesh but my best guess is that your rear is Mk III Granada. This is based on the fact that it is 5-stud and the driveshafts look thicker than the Sierra (see the attached pic)

[PS Sierra's were fitted with rear discs and bolt on (lobro) CV joints. It's also possible that your rear end is Sierra Cosworth - is the diff an LSD unit? ]

JonnyBoy147
24-03-09, 12:33 PM
I concur with the majority of recent posts, Granada or sierra rear end, front looks like mk2 granada front end.

Have a look at my gallery for Mk2 granada running gear pics.

Also Google Motomobil or go to Oldcar.de - Informationen zum Thema Oldcar. Diese Website steht zum Verkauf! (http://www.oldcar.de) for diagrams showing exploded parts of ford running gear for different cars.

Regards,

Jon

kevchard
26-03-09, 10:32 AM
Without wishing to cast doubt, i am sure there was never a Cortina with 5 studs. Perhaps there is a mod kit you can buy, or just swap the hub over, but i havent seen it done.
There is a mod you can do on the Granada back axle to run 4 stud hubs instead of standard Granada 5 studs (something i will be looking into sooner or later).
The Granada cosworth rear axles are fatter than the Sierra and as already said the diff is 7.5" on granada weighed up against 7" for the sierra.
The Granada cossie is an LSD. To try it if you jack the whole back end up, stick car in gear. If you turn one road wheel clockwise, other wheel should go in same direction. A normal diff will make wheel go opposite direction.
Hope that confuses you more :).