PDA

View Full Version : iva shambles

pete knighton
20-03-09, 08:49 PM
evening all, called in test station yesterday talked about iva test, one bloke went on a course another went 2 weeks later very different rules sounds like they don`t know what they are doing very helpfull but a bit concerned, did you know that the TYRES cannot protude past wheel arch where before it was just the rims should not protude, he said it could be very worrying as most cobra`s wheels do stick out a bit, hope he`s wrong also it looks like it`s going to 500 test fee.:twisted::twisted::twisted::confused::confused ::confused: pete k

Rowly
21-03-09, 01:44 AM
evening all, called in test station yesterday talked about iva test, one bloke went on a course another went 2 weeks later very different rules sounds like they don`t know what they are doing very helpfull but a bit concerned, did you know that the TYRES cannot protude past wheel arch where before it was just the rims should not protude, he said it could be very worrying as most cobra`s wheels do stick out a bit, hope he`s wrong also it looks like it`s going to 500 test fee.:twisted::twisted::twisted::confused::confused ::confused: pete k
More than a "bit worrying" Pete, if there are changes that are being implemented in between inspectors training sessions, what chance do we have??. I am not sure if the latest Final Draft IVA has been published. the last draft copy I saw was Dec 08. Surely a final document should be published prior to the commencement of tester training.....ooops,sorry, I may have overstepped the mark, I was trying to imagine that it would have been logical & fair.
Then we will have a period of "interpretation", where a few bold fellows who apply for the new test,will give us a bit of feedback as to how their testers were interpreting the new regs.
I have deliberately held back on purchasing things like wheels, in case the rules change. I know it has been said that Vosa guys read this site, to pick up on clues, how people cheat etc.
Why dont they post a thread, telling us how to download the final Documents, with some notes on how it will affect builders in progress???
If the rules are made clear to start with, most people would do whatever it takes to comply, if the rules are seen to be unclear, or the subject of interpretation by testers who have attended different courses, then the whole proccess will be seen as subjective & people will try to work round the "rules" as they perceive them.
end of rant, I am probably wrong & not up to date, as usual:D

realyweely
21-03-09, 09:59 AM
Vosa chaps work for VOSA and are not in the business of handing out information.

I also found, and it has been stated by others that most VOSA bods are pretty decent people who arent out on some devious vendetta to stop us terrible Kitcar boys but are there to test and to help.
I would strongly suspect that if the final draft of the manual isnt in available then they will simply revert to the SVA rules.
Its already been shown that SVA tests, which were due to end at the end of April are continuing on into May, quite possibly because of the IVA manual thing.

andicole0
21-03-09, 11:02 AM
I bet they'll start charging IVA fees as soon as they can though :rolleyes: But I do agree that everyone I've had contact with at VOSA has been extremely helpful.

Andi.

pete knighton
21-03-09, 01:14 PM
totally agree they are very helpful , another remark he made was that the inside of the vehicle is going to come under the same regs as the outside (what exactly he means by that i don`t know ) i think he means if someone falls into the car from outside they don`t hurt them-self on protruding switches keys etc ,what a load of bo..........ocks, (if its thief hope it takes his eye out). we will find out sooner or later i suppose , pete k

Rowly
21-03-09, 10:48 PM
Vosa chaps work for VOSA and are not in the business of handing out information.

I also found, and it has been stated by others that most VOSA bods are pretty decent people who arent out on some devious vendetta to stop us terrible Kitcar boys but are there to test and to help.
I would strongly suspect that if the final draft of the manual isnt in available then they will simply revert to the SVA rules.
Its already been shown that SVA tests, which were due to end at the end of April are continuing on into May, quite possibly because of the IVA manual thing.
Totally agree with you Tony, the Vosa chaps are helpfull, insofar as they can be, in the circumstances of legislative changes. Apparrently Vosa do not give out all the information, it may be up to the individual to find out.
for example
I have just found out that from 1st April, (part of the new regs), ALL hgv's must have "retrofitted" improved visibility mirrors on nearside, to help reduce accidents, cyclists, etc.
the law has been in force for new vehicles for some time, but in 10 days, it will be law for all lorries, or on the spot fine for Driver & vehicle operator.
So that will be a nice April fools day, Vosa may well be out in force!!!
If anyone knows, or has an HGV, remind them, They may already know if they are members of F.T. A
This is one bit of legislation that is very good, as it improves safety.
problem is that not enough people know about it, The cynical side of me, says that "a few fines & free press publicity" is cheaper than a properly organised publicity campaign.
we should keep a sticky thread going, to update info as it comes in.
all IMHO.