PDA

View Full Version : Switch GD steering wheel

pcoghlan
22-03-09, 02:30 PM
Has anyone with a GD switched to a wooden steering wheel. I don't care for the RAID wheel and the way the steering column protrudes through the dash. I think I will change out the steering column and steering wheel. Anyone done any of this and have pictures or advice?

Paul

Steve
22-03-09, 03:14 PM
on the Mark 4 body, GD use a vectra column and switchgear, which uses the original switchgear instead of all the switches on the dash.....not original, but infinitely easier to use than a dash switch setup

YOu of sourse can add a wooden wheel to the boss for either mark 3 or mark 4, with the appropriate steering boss.

I think you can just replace the raid wheel and steering boss for a motalita wheel

pcoghlan
23-03-09, 10:19 AM
Thanks Steve. I have the MK III with the Jag column. I will talk to Andy to see what options I have.

I really don't like the column itself and after seeing some other Cobras at Sebring this past weekend would like something cleaner.

Paul

GDOE
23-03-09, 05:27 PM
Thanks Steve. I have the MK III with the Jag column. I will talk to Andy to see what options I have.

I really don't like the column itself and after seeing some other Cobras at Sebring this past weekend would like something cleaner.

Paul
I have a wooden steering wheel on my GD. I do not have pictures to hand, but I hope the following might be helpful. I have a steering column from a Jaguar XJ6 as recommended by GD. The wooden steering wheel is a Motolita wheel (Cobra Style), dished and the dished wheel allows me to have indicator arms, which I have adapted from a Vauxhall Astra (was not keen on the switches on the dash board) The dished steering wheel also enables me to have twist switches behind the steering wheel for the lights and heater. The steering wheel is 14", I believe it is larger than the average Raid which Andy has on the GD, which I think is 13". I went for a 14" as it looked better (only my preference). However, the issue with the 14" is as follows, the distance between the steering wheel and the door is very small, especially if you also have a cockpit surround. To get over this I also purchase from Motolita a 1" spacer. This was OK for me with the wheel out slightly further than normal and moved the steering column over to the left as far as possible. This movement to the left does not make a signficant difference it was the spacer between the dished wheel and the column that generated plenty of room (With the steering wheel closer than with the Raid you may find this uncomfortable, however I have no problem with the distance, it appears to me to be more comfortable, I'm about 6ft tall) Hope this helps

Cheers OE

steveym
23-03-09, 05:29 PM
Hi,
Couldn't remember whether you were a Mk.3 or 4. The Vectra column used on the Mk.4 is finished better I think (and has the better instruments). I didn't go with the GD wheel and also didn't fancy a wooden wheel so went with something else which was a bit smaller to give a bit more leg/arm room :-)