PDA

View Full Version : Googlemaps Street View

Ian 46
22-03-09, 09:37 PM
I don't know if anyone has posted a thread about the new service from Googlemaps called Street View, but I urge everyone to have a look at their home address on the site. It was launched last Thursday I think.

Today I got a tip off to have a look at my address and there in the open garage, clear as a bell, is my Crendon on full view to anyone in the world who wants to see! I am not a happy bunny! I do not want any local villains knowing what I have got in my garage and have been very careful not to advertise the fact so far.

I have registered my complaint to Google and will let you know if I manage to get the image removed.

Am I being too sensitive about my baby?

Ian

craggle
22-03-09, 09:39 PM
Not at all.

I too would be pissed if they posted a picture of my car in my garage or a picture of me standing naked at the window! ;)

Hope you get it removed or at least blurred out

Craig.

Noel
22-03-09, 09:43 PM
Have just checked Craigs post code, he is standing naked at the window :shock::shock::shock:

Noel
22-03-09, 09:46 PM
I don't know if anyone has posted a thread about the new service from Googlemaps called Street View, but I urge everyone to have a look at their home address on the site. It was launched last Thursday I think.

Today I got a tip off to have a look at my address and there in the open garage, clear as a bell, is my Crendon on full view to anyone in the world who wants to see! I am not a happy bunny! I do not want any local villains knowing what I have got in my garage and have been very careful not to advertise the fact so far.

I have registered my complaint to Google and will let you know if I manage to get the image removed.

Am I being too sensitive about my baby?

Ian

This has been "live" for quite some time in the States and I think is brilliant :cool::cool:

A bit unfortunate your garage was open as Google's Smart car passed with all the cameras on it's roof though :(

Purple AK
22-03-09, 09:46 PM
Have just checked Craigs post code, he is standing naked at the window :shock::shock::shock:
Was he Polishing?

Noel
22-03-09, 09:48 PM
Was he Polishing?

He did seem to have some Brasso in his hand though Derek, or is it Clive? ;) :D :D :D

Purple AK
22-03-09, 09:50 PM
This has been "live" for quite some time in the States and I think is brilliant :cool::cool:

A bit unfortunate your garage was open as Google's Smart car passed with all the cameras on it's roof though :(It does help to pinpoint the Dodgy Engine Suppliers ;)

Ian 46
22-03-09, 09:51 PM
It was pre-polishing! Have you seen the background info on my members page.

Ian

craggle
22-03-09, 10:17 PM
It's the only way to polish, Have you ever leant across a car wearing a belt with a metal buckle and thought that's a great way to scratch the car.

No chance of scratches if you polish in the buff!!!:rolleyes:;):mrgreen:

Craig.

robert
22-03-09, 10:21 PM
No chance of scratches if you polish in the buff!!!:rolleyes:;):mrgreen:

Craig.

Erm, I knew a girl where that statement wouldn't be correct. ;)

Clive
22-03-09, 11:06 PM
I don't know if anyone has posted a thread about the new service from Googlemaps called Street View, but I urge everyone to have a look at their home address on the site.
Ian

As I'm not a "Townie" I don't have that problem! :p ;)

nuf_said
23-03-09, 12:04 AM
I think its a fabulous system. I actually followed a car with a mast on the roof and wondered if it was the Google folk. It was - there's me behind their car for about 10 shots.
If you find a very reflective shopfront you can actually see the Google mobile.

Ian 46 - at least they usually blur out your number plate - oh you haven't got one yet!
There are 2 cars visible on my drive - both number plates clearly readable - am I bovvered? It did remind me to paint the house front door though.

I spotted some shots in Edinburgh where the screen was black with a 'This photograph is not available' wording. I guess that's what they do when someone objects.

Nuf Said

Clive
23-03-09, 01:05 AM
I spotted some shots in Edinburgh where the screen was black with a 'This photograph is not available' wording. I guess that's what they do when someone objects.

Nuf Said

That would make me think there is something worth looking at. It would encourage ne'erdowells to check it out!

383 stroker
23-03-09, 10:12 AM
Hmmmm, i suppose it is close..ish only 40 odd house numbers off! No one will find me if they try to follow that. Pictures of my home seem to be taken about August last last year. Good system but not quite accurate enough.

pcoghlan
23-03-09, 10:43 AM
I recall hearing news stories that Google street view had caught guys walking into strip clubs, climbing up the outside of buildings, naked women stranding in windows and other images that they maybe didn't want caught on camera.

Most of that pales when compared to the shot (4th one down, below the overturned vehicle!) at this link of a boy pointing a gun at another kid.

@tmbchr Modern Psychogeography & Street-Level Informationeering: Outlining My Hypothesis (http://www.timboucher.com/journal/2009/02/08/modern-psychogeography-street-level-informationeering-outlining-my-hypothesis/)

Paul

craggle
23-03-09, 11:46 AM
Another site here....

Top 15 Google Street View Sightings (http://mashable.com/2007/05/31/top-15-google-street-view-sightings/)

Craig.

Stevednorris
23-03-09, 12:00 PM
I'm not on there, only half of my village has broadband at the moment, that's what comes of living in deepest Norfolk :D.

Clive
23-03-09, 12:44 PM
Most of that pales when compared to the shot (4th one down, below the overturned vehicle!) at this link of a boy pointing a gun at another kid.

@tmbchr Modern Psychogeography & Street-Level Informationeering: Outlining My Hypothesis (http://www.timboucher.com/journal/2009/02/08/modern-psychogeography-street-level-informationeering-outlining-my-hypothesis/)

Paul

My kids used to play outside with toy guns when they were young. What's to say that's not what's happening here?

dave.n
23-03-09, 01:10 PM
This google earth thing is a great tool. the councils use it to help with council tax ratings.
I was fortune enough to get my council tax lowered recently (it could easily have gone the other way) some of the questions revolved around off street parking and conservatorys (easily checked up on with google earth as to how many vehicles you can account off street parking for. And then conservatory size and construction. Also loft conversions are heavy on their agenda.

All of which can be clearly seen with these amazing pictures. So next time your council tax goes through the roof be very cagey about contesting it. lol , NEXT THING YOU KNOW THEY'LL BE USING THE REAL TIME VERSION TO SUMMONSE YOUR USE OF A HOSE PIPE IN A DROUGHT.

it's all about the money.

Clive
23-03-09, 01:43 PM
Sorry, no link.

rocketmut
23-03-09, 02:04 PM
I'm still incognito, no image available.;)

pcoghlan
23-03-09, 03:31 PM
Nothing at all but unfortunately we now live in a different world.

My kids used to play outside with toy guns when they were young. What's to say that's not what's happening here?

Ian 46
24-03-09, 10:19 AM
Update:-

Logged on to Googlemaps Street View just now and the image I complained about on Sunday evening has been removed. Hurrah!
Not bad service I thought, but wait, the next image along the road still shows my Crendon poking out of the garage. Doh!
Second complaint submitted.

Ian (the complainer)

TonyD
24-03-09, 10:41 AM

Yes its the modern US equivalent of cowboys and indians .....

"I'm gonna put a cap in yo' ass"...........

Cheers,

Tony

Ian 46
27-03-09, 06:39 PM
Final Update:-

I'm glad it's Friday. I'm all complained out! I only wanted Google to 'fuzz out' all the images of my Crendon, but they have now removed all the incriminating pictures, along with half the houses on the street. Ooops.

Still I'd call that a result.

Google reported to the press this week that there had only been a couple of hundred complaints about privacy. Is that all?

Ian

Noel
27-03-09, 06:42 PM
Final Update:-

I'm glad it's Friday. I'm all complained out! I only wanted Google to 'fuzz out' all the images of my Crendon, but they have now removed all the incriminating pictures, along with half the houses on the street. Ooops.

Still I'd call that a result.

Google reported to the press this week that there had only been a couple of hundred complaints about privacy. Is that all?

Ian

Yes, but that was just from you Ian ;) :D :D :D

Ian 46
27-03-09, 06:51 PM
Noel,

Have you been speaking to someone?

Ian

Neil O
28-03-09, 07:45 AM
Now you have got them to blank out your house, the burglars know you have something for them......:twisted: