PDA

View Full Version : Wheel and tryre sizes for Vipers

scottdog
24-03-09, 08:20 PM
I bought a part completed Classic Replicas Viper last year and got through the SVA in late January this year.The car is now in the sprayshop. With the kit I also bought a set of 17" 8J knock offs. I was thinking of 215.45.17 to the front and 235.45.17 on the rear. Does this sound the right way to go? Or maybe 235s all round? Reading the recent posts I am thinking that Toyo tyres would be a good choice. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Terry.

marco454v8
24-03-09, 08:56 PM
I've got 235 fronts on 7 1/2" trigos and 295 rears on 9 1/2"- the tyre width/rim size ratio looks good, not over or under tyred- as a rule of thumb I would say rim size + 40-50mm = tread width. So, I would definately go for 235's (215's will probably expose too much rim).
I just dropped the big block in my chassis, and the steering is not overly heavy on 235's
Hope this helps Terry,
Cheers, Mark

scottdog
24-03-09, 09:26 PM
Thanks Mark, just the info I was looking for. Havent seen the rim size + 40/50mm so that makes sense and nice to know the steering is still ok with 235's on. Only have a Rover engine so it should be even easier than your set up (or is it a good excuse for a glass of plonk!!).
Thanks again
Terry

TINKA
24-03-09, 10:59 PM
Thanks Mark, just the info I was looking for. Havent seen the rim size + 40/50mm so that makes sense and nice to know the steering is still ok with 235's on. Only have a Rover engine so it should be even easier than your set up (or is it a good excuse for a glass of plonk!!).
Thanks again
Terry

My AK has 215 x 16 on the front and 245 x 16 on the rear and most AK's have the same or an equivalent on different sized wheels. My mate with a viper has a similar size on his car and it handles and drives really well. There are some who over rubber their cars which won’t do any harm but you need to check they won't catch the inner wheel arch any where, although it will make the steering heavy and is a waste of money IMHO

Iain
25-03-09, 12:00 AM
My Jag based Viper runs 225x45 ZR17 on the front and 255x45 ZR17 on the rear. I don't appear to have any adverse handling issues.

Hope this helps...

scottdog
25-03-09, 07:53 PM
Thanks Tinka and Iain I guess its off to the tyre shop as soon as the paints dried, dont want to miss the summer! Hope to meet up with you both at some time, still much to learn and beers to buy in return.
Cheers
Terry