PDA

View Full Version : Mr Purple

Miket
27-03-09, 09:34 PM
Hi Chris

Not Cobra related, but tin top tyre related. ;)

I have Michelin Pilot Sports fitted to my Honda, the fronts wear on the outside and the rears on the inside, question is, can I swop the fronts to the rear, obviously on the same side with them being asymmetrical, don't know if I've dreamt it, but something in the back of my mind says you shouldn't :confused:

Purple AK
27-03-09, 10:11 PM
Hi Chris

Not Cobra related, but tin top tyre related. ;)

I have Michelin Pilot Sports fitted to my Honda, the fronts wear on the outside and the rears on the inside, question is, can I swop the fronts to the rear, obviously on the same side with them being asymmetrical, don't know if I've dreamt it, but something in the back of my mind says you shouldn't :confused:
Hi Mike.
That is the only way I would recommend swopping them round ;) Some people (including manufacturers) still recommend swopping them corner to corner! In my mind the tyre has spent half it's life rotating one way so the cords within the casing have been stressed and settled in one direction. If you then ask it to rotate the other way it will cause no end of of contra stress within the tyre! Not Good! As it can/will cause overheating and casing separation (Bulges and Runout)
So to summerise. Front to Rear is good :cool: Anything else is playing into the hands of the people that sell tyres :mrgreen:

Miket
27-03-09, 11:17 PM
Thanks Chris, I know you can't swop asymmetric tyres and wheels corner to corner as the tread would be in the wrong direction, it's just something I had in my head that you shouldn't swop front to rear :confused: must be an age thing :rolleyes: I will bow to your superior knowledge and do as suggested. ;) :D

Purple AK
27-03-09, 11:26 PM
Thanks Chris, I know you can't swop asymmetric tyres and wheels corner to corner as the tread would be in the wrong direction, it's just something I had in my head that you shouldn't swop front to rear :confused: must be an age thing :rolleyes: I will bow to your superior knowledge and do as suggested. ;) :D
Asymmetric is technically ok. As the tread is different inside to outside (but see above recommendations) Directional is where you can't. ;) Just don't buy an NSX :mrgreen: Not only are the front tyres a different size to the rears, They are also directional AND asymmetric! So you effectively have a specific tyre for each corner :rolleyes: At best the rears do 5000 miles :-D

wilf
28-03-09, 11:52 AM
Mike - I do exactly the swap you mention on my Jag, as the wear pattern is similar to yours. No problems at all, and an extra 5k miles minimum wear.