PDA

View Full Version : Ram body glassed in metal tube reinforcing?

Antony
07-04-09, 11:54 AM
I was about to make the alloy base for a full width 48" x 9" high polycarbonate screen, as it will save my original screen from all the stone chips we regularly get
from our continual road works and coarse chip, and they work quite well, should keep "her indoors" happy.

The idea was to have the fastening screws holes under the original screens rubber wind strip, and then upon further investigation most if not all of the holes will end up right on what appears to be glassed in metal tubing for body support, just behind the dashboard, I have had a strong magnet on it, and I am not sure if its just fibreglass or an actual pipe glassed in, I know in the boot area and across about where the single hoop roll bar diagonal goes back there is a metal tube glassed in!

bitsilly
07-04-09, 04:40 PM
I think it is metal alright, If you search this forum, (or I'm sure our Simon will know!) there is a photo of the Ram chassis with all the other bar work in place, ie as if the fibreglass had been stripped away. May be a good reference.
I have looked but have a 6 yr old dividing my attention!

Antony
12-04-09, 12:37 PM
bitsilly,

I think I have seen the same photo!
The fibreglass is really thick in this area so it doesnt really need reinforcing, but it must stop the body from fatique.