PDA

View Full Version : Need an item moved, Scotland - London

simon
09-04-09, 03:39 PM
I need a large item (Triumph GT6 bonnet) moved from Aberdeen to London (well, Upminster, Essex, east of London)
Any ideas?
Simon

David Large
09-04-09, 04:08 PM
Go up in a GT6 with no bonnet, bolt it on and bring it back?????????????????

DL

TonyD
09-04-09, 04:23 PM
Fly up budget airline and one way van hire back?

Courier/ transport company?

Hitchhike with it for charity?

Cheers,

Tony

JonnyT
09-04-09, 04:23 PM
medium sized van?

Clive
09-04-09, 04:24 PM
Paint it red and say it came off a helicopter and the CAA will take it to Farnborough :rolleyes:

simon
09-04-09, 04:34 PM
Go up in a GT6 with no bonnet, bolt it on and bring it back?????????????????

DL

HHHMMMMM, I'm buying the car in Aberdeen and it comes with two bonnets!

JonnyT
09-04-09, 04:35 PM
ah - you see you only give us half the facts. Gaffer the bonnet to the old bonnet with a bit of foam underneath - jobs a goodun (and they should fit together quite nicely....)

TonyD
09-04-09, 04:42 PM

Aha.

Looks like its the old, adjustable, gutter mounted roof bars wrapped in some foam padding with an upside down bonnet rachet strapped to the top of a GT6 trick then.........

Cheers,

Tony

Purple AK
09-04-09, 04:43 PM
Are you driving it home or trailering?

David Large
09-04-09, 06:14 PM

Keep the spare one in Scotland??????????????????????

DL

Vidge
09-04-09, 07:04 PM
Move further north, somewhere near Aberdeen. Then it's no longer an issue.

Ian 46
09-04-09, 07:32 PM
There are some comedians on here aren't there!

If I remember correctly from my Spitfire restoring days the bonnet is a huge and weighty and easily damaged. Your best bet is to hire a van,

Ian

Vidge
09-04-09, 07:48 PM
There are some comedians on here aren't there!

If I remember correctly from my Spitfire restoring days the bonnet is a huge and weighty and easily damaged. Your best bet is to hire a van,

Ian

I was always told that rather than restore an old spitfire it was quicker and easier to form a solid block of plastic padding 11ft by 4ft then carve out a spitfire shape. Apparently it gives you the same end result and you don't have to race the tin worm around the car.

Ian 46
09-04-09, 08:50 PM
Very true Vidge.

I acquired a Mk4 1500 in 1993 from a work colleague for free! We had been drinking at the time and he said I could have it! It had been in his garage for years with loads of heavy items placed on top. The cills were rusted through and the body had sagged in the middle so the doors wouldn't open, the boot had huge holes in the floor, the doors and wings were full of filler and the bonnet was accident damaged on the nose.

Two years and a lot of effort later I entered an international Triumph Sports Six Club concours event and won best in show. I remember one concours judge looking puzzled and shaking his head as he repeatedly opened and shut the doors and uttering the words 'they never came from the factory like this'

Happy days

Ian