PDA

View Full Version : Help

Johnboy
09-04-09, 10:01 PM
I have a problem but my car has an MOT. Last week on driving back from my local mot garage the car started misfiring and would only go on high revs. Rover 3.9. The dizzy is mallory twin point with ballast res, edlebrock carb on offy manifold all from RPI all working perfectly before MOT(it passed). Now I have a dedline for SVA of 20th April bet a dead engine. THe ballast was fried but coil seems ok(good spark),any body know if edlebrock carbs can be effected by excess heat(manifolds now wrapped)

Purple AK
09-04-09, 10:11 PM
I have a problem but my car has an MOT. Last week on driving back from my local mot garage the car started misfiring and would only go on high revs. Rover 3.9. The dizzy is mallory twin point with ballast res, edlebrock carb on offy manifold all from RPI all working perfectly before MOT(it passed). Now I have a dedline for SVA of 20th April bet a dead engine. THe ballast was fried but coil seems ok(good spark),any body know if edlebrock carbs can be effected by excess heat(manifolds now wrapped)
Change the Condenser (preferably for a non Mallory one) and check the points gap/dwell angle and my guess is it will be fine ;)

craigh
10-04-09, 10:51 AM
id try and fit the pertronix ingnitor kit and do away with those dual points,you will be forever having problems with them but it sounds more ignition related than fuel

Johnboy
12-04-09, 01:30 PM
THanks going to get new condencer asap. But where from?

Happy Jim
12-04-09, 04:55 PM
When mine cooked itself on the M1 the nice AA man replaced it with one from a Metro (on the basis that it "looked similar"), needless to say it ran fine!

Jim

Geezer
13-04-09, 01:12 PM
THanks going to get new condencer asap. But where from?

See this:- http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/engine-tech-tips-questions/32207-goodby-sva.html?highlight=pertronix

Pete