PDA

View Full Version : 1st MOT - advise needed

Wilburn
16-04-09, 10:31 AM
Hi,

My Cobra is to have its 1st MOT on Monday.

I am taking the V5 with me just incase it's needed.

The guy asked when I booked it in what the weight is, it says 1127 Kg on the V5 (I believe this is for the brake test)

Does anyone have any advise etc. regarding MOT?

Thanks

Paul

Miket
16-04-09, 11:12 AM
Hi,

My Cobra is to have its 1st MOT on Monday.

I am taking the V5 with me just incase it's needed.

The guy asked when I booked it in what the weight is, it says 1127 Kg on the V5 (I believe this is for the brake test)

Does anyone have any advise etc. regarding MOT?

Thanks

Paul

1172 Kg will be about right ;)

When I took mine for it's first MOT I took the copy of the MAC certificate to prove that it was just a visible smoke test for emissions. ;)

Wilburn
16-04-09, 11:14 AM
Mac certificate? :confused:

I believe mine is subject to the less than 1200ppm for the emissions?

Miket
16-04-09, 11:18 AM
Mac certificate? :confused:

I believe mine is subject to the less than 1200ppm for the emissions?

MAC certificate = SVA pass certificate. ;) ;) It should be written on the certificate what emissions your car was tested at.

Sidecarbod
16-04-09, 11:35 AM
MAC certificate = SVA pass certificate. ;) ;) It should be written on the certificate what emissions your car was tested at.

I think that my log book states the emissions, when I took the car for an MOT the guy said "its a kit car, so it visual smoke test only".....I did not argue with him! (I did get the CO tested anyway as I wanted to see how good my carb setup was at idle. I think that it was 2% the log book states 2.5 or 3.5, I can't remember OTTOMH!)

Pete

ldtopham
16-04-09, 12:31 PM
Paul, I've just had my 1st MOT on the Cob. I took the V5 with me as it clearly states 'Visible smoke test only' on the front page lower section. The weight is there too @ 1050kg's If you have an LSD you shouldn't put it on the rollers, the weight is required for the roller brake test on an open diff. If you have an LSD then a short road test with the examiner sat in the passengers seat with his decelerometer is all that is needed. I had to brake as hard as poss from a steady 20mph then repeat the test using the handbrake as the only method of stopping. Both readings surprised him somewhat:D

Also check what the entrance is like to the testing station, my usual station had a ramped access that would have seen me re-shape the nose of the Cob had I tried to get it to the testing bay;)

HTH

Oh and ask to have 10 mins looking underneath whilst on the ramps if he isn't too busy. If you use it in the winter months be prepared for lots of salt damage!

Wilburn
20-04-09, 02:20 PM
Cobra passed it's 1st MOT today with no problems :-)

Whilst it was on the ramps I noticed rust on chassis just behind the front wheels.

They recommended I use a wire brush to get rid of the rust then paint some Schutz Tetra onto it. Then once dried put Waxoyl on it.

Problem is I cannot find the Schutz Tetra stuff anywhere.

I have just bought some Waxoyl

Should I just get rid of the rust with wire brush and apply Waxoyl?

Miket
20-04-09, 02:33 PM
It's Tetra Shutz (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tetra-Schutz-1lt-Size-can-Black-Underbody-Protection_W0QQitemZ280239221979QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item280239221979&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262)

But to be honest I'd just use some Smooth Hammerite or POR 15 ;)

Wilburn
20-04-09, 02:36 PM
It's Tetra Shutz (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tetra-Schutz-1lt-Size-can-Black-Underbody-Protection_W0QQitemZ280239221979QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item280239221979&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262)

But to be honest I'd just some Smooth Hammerite or POR 15 ;)

Ah, cheers.

So you would definitely apply Smooth Hammerite or POR 15 1st then apply the Waxoyl once it has dried?

craggle
20-04-09, 02:38 PM
I'd stick with paint too.

Personally I would clean the are with a wire brush and then use a small wire brush in a dremmel to make sure it's really clean then apply some zinc rich primer. you can get this in spray tins in Halfords.
Then I would apply a good quality, glossy top coat. POR15 is good stuff but smooth hamerite will probably work just as well.
If you have the silver colourerd chassis then use silver hamerite and dull with a bit of black if needed to match the colours.

Craig.

Wilburn
20-04-09, 02:43 PM

Personally I would clean the are with a wire brush and then use a small wire brush in a dremmel to make sure it's really clean then apply some zinc rich primer. you can get this in spray tins in Halfords.
Then I would apply a good quality, glossy top coat. POR15 is good stuff but smooth hamerite will probably work just as well.
If you have the silver colourerd chassis then use silver hamerite and dull with a bit of black if needed to match the colours.

Craig.

Cheers, I'll nip to Halfords.

I thought the Waxoyl sounded a good option as it is rubbery when its dried so less prone to chipping off when hit by stones.

I guess I could always apply 3 coats:
1st - A zinc rich primer
2nd - Smooth hammerite or POR15
3rd - Waxoyl ?

Miket
20-04-09, 02:43 PM
Ah, cheers.

So you would definitely apply Smooth Hammerite or POR 15 1st then apply the Waxoyl once it has dried?

Yes, but personally I wouldn't use waxoyl, Hammerite or POR 15 will be sufficient. ;)

craggle
20-04-09, 03:42 PM
Waxoyl is good stuff especially inside enclosed sections to keep moisture out but it does dry to a sticky, waxy like coating.
This tends to attract dust and dirt and may end up looking fairly dirty.

It won't hurt to put over the top over the paint and will offer some additional protection but it can be a bit messy.

Good for covering up rusty patches on Land Rover chassis though the night before the MOT!:mrgreen:

Craig.

Geezer
20-04-09, 03:49 PM

Craig.

Looks like we're almost back to a thread I started on Chassis Colour. I tried mixing smooth Hammerite, to colour, and the bloody stuff wouldn't dry:( It does say not to mix on the tin...

Pete

Wilburn
20-04-09, 03:54 PM
Looks like we're almost back to a thread I started on Chassis Colour. I tried mixing smooth Hammerite, to colour, and the bloody stuff wouldn't dry:( It does say not to mix on the tin...

Pete

mmm. but come on, when do we blokes ever read instructions?

Just bought some zinc primer and smooth hammerite from Halfrauds.

Will have fun tonight making a mess of my garage floor :-)

Geezer
20-04-09, 04:12 PM
mmm. but come on, when do we blokes ever read instructions?

Just bought some zinc primer and smooth hammerite from Halfrauds.

Will have fun tonight making a mess of my garage floor :-)

Agreed. It was only when the stuff wouldn't dry that I bothered... ;):D

Pete

realyweely
21-04-09, 08:00 AM
After years of patching up cars it was only last year I found what I believe to be the best stuff to protect metal and put onto cleaned rusty metal.
Combi-Color or its other name Rustoleum. When I bought my VW vanI had a problem with the exterior of one wheel arch.
First winter I tried Hammerite, It didnt last the inter before Rust was showing through.
Second year POR stuff. Lasted the winter but by the end of spring Rust was showing through.
Last summer I applied some colour matched Combi Colour. Its still perfect with no rust at all showing through. I also dabbed some onto a Mk3 cortina front end I have in my garden and thats still perfect also.

wilf
21-04-09, 08:06 AM
You grow Cortina MK3 front ends in your garden? :mrgreen: