PDA

View Full Version : Another AK hits the Road

TonyD
17-04-09, 05:55 PM
Hi Guys,

The first AK Lexus Cobra passed its SVA today, which means that the terrible twins, aka Bodger and Blagger, will be at Stoneleigh in a Cobra instead of a Cobra donor. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

As Birmingham DVLA is across the road from the SVA centre, and I had enquired last week (after a 45 minute wait) to be told that I just had to drop in with the Mac certificate to get it registered, I was somewhat surprised to be informed today that there was a 3 week waiting list for DVLA inspections. I voiced my displeasure and the jobsworth "badger from the Apprentice" lookalike then proceeded to bend my ear saying she was overworked, had no cover when away on holiday, had other work to do etc etc........she suggested if I wasn't happy that I should go elsewhere.

So off I go to Worcester arriving at 4.20 pm where I waited for all of 5 minutes and was offered an inspection on Monday at 9.00 am...........

She checked all the paperwork, took my money for 1st registration and the first tax disc and by 4.40 I was on my way home a very happy bunny.

Moral of the story is don't go to Brum go to Worcester for your registration, and I will be going to the Worcester for both my IVA and Reg.

Now off to get the first beer of the evening in celebration.

Cheers,

Tony:mrgreen::mrgreen:

PS Opened up the lexus for the first time properly on the M42 coming back this afternoon..........300bhp, no cats, 6500 rpm rev limit and a 3.54 diff with an all up weight of 1034 kilos ( and my additional weight would be a mere few KG).....fecking hell is it fast.....:mrgreen:

This Cobra will be very entertaining!!

Miket
17-04-09, 05:59 PM
Congratulations Tony and well done on a first time pass. :D :D

TonyD
17-04-09, 06:11 PM
Congratulations Tony and well done on a first time pass. :D :D

Thanks Mike,

Wish it had passed first time but this was a retest..........it took 4 minutes from the time I passed the tester the paperwork until he told me that he was off to write the certificate.....4 mins for 38 not bad pay..It ruined my 100% first time pass SVA record as well (OK so I've only SVa'd one previous car)

Two of fail items were not even listed in the sva handbook!

Still its a job creation scheme as retests keep the money flowing and the testers busy as the number of tests under the new IVA's rules that have been booked are, I would anticipate, very very few.

Cheers,

Tony

seph
17-04-09, 06:33 PM
Well done, look forward to seeing it at Stoneleigh. My AK kit arrives tomorrow morning, I'm so excited :grin:

I really can't wait to get cracking.

Paul

TonyD
17-04-09, 06:45 PM
Well done, look forward to seeing it at Stoneleigh. My AK kit arrives tomorrow morning, I'm so excited :grin:

I really can't wait to get cracking.

Paul

It will be like Xmas when you were a kid except the meccano set is a bit bigger.

My advice is to take lots of photographs showing the build process as you will need to prove you built the car in your garage, not some professional.

Now thats Tim's car is legal and roadworthy and I have half my garage back, I can drag mine out from under the mountains of rubbish its sitting under and fit the wiring loom I've had for the last 4 years.......

Cheers,

Tony:)

robinj66
17-04-09, 06:48 PM
Well Done to you & Tim:D

Can't wait to see the car in the flesh:cool:

wilf
17-04-09, 08:20 PM
Well done to the the "we are going to do it our way" contingent!

See you at Stoneleigh!

tommy-boy
17-04-09, 08:23 PM
Well done mate... i hope i dont have to go all that way when mine's finished...bit of a hike from Costa del Newcastle. LOL:p

pluss south of the Tyne, and i dont have a Passport

Andy S
17-04-09, 09:57 PM
congratulations guys on a job well done, a cob with a difference, interesting.

slogger
17-04-09, 11:51 PM
Hey, well done you guys. The Lexus lives. Hope to see it at Stoneleigh.:D

Purple AK
17-04-09, 11:54 PM
Well Done You Two ;) Have you worked out an "on the road price" yet?

badcob
18-04-09, 12:15 AM
congrats Tony cant wait for a ride in one thats not limited!!

383 stroker
18-04-09, 12:16 AM
Well done especially as it's not the normal build we've come to expect(rv8/ford/chevy), look forward to seeing it at Stoneleigh.

TonyD
18-04-09, 01:02 AM
Thanks Guys,

I've already been out in the garage attaching the pedestrian annihilating accoutriments that make these cars so special ..........The side vents and rear spats have been in the cupboard above our bed for 4 years, the Mrs thought I had gone bonkers when I started ferreting about amongst the detritus of long frgotten hats, suitcases and boxes.

As regards budget, my exhaustive, totally inclusive, precise and boringly accurate speadsheet shows the whole build including all fees,road tax etc ( but not insurance) is sub 16k. A bit more than budgeted but a bargain anyway methinks.

Pick up a secondhand LS400 for the engine and box, part the rest of the car out on ebay as spares and you may cut another grand from the total.

That gets you a fully blinged and trimmed AK in Gelcoat with 5 spoke alloys, Z rated Toyo Proxes, 300bhp, 160mph plus top end, 30 plus mpg and an engine able to take 17psi boost without any internal mods......which is enough to give 567 bhp at the wheels.... but that is for the future, once my scrap yard forays have liberated a second GT28R turbo for peanuts.

However, as I said to the Mrs today, after 3 years of not having a Cobra I need to refresh my driving skills, the thing is just too fast for my frames of reference as yet.

Cheers,

Tony:-D:-D:-D

TonyD
18-04-09, 01:08 AM
congrats Tony cant wait for a ride in one thats not limited!!

Spec, come round any day or evening next week bar Wednesday and Thursday and we'll go for a tootle..............

Cheers,

Tony:mrgreen:

badcob
18-04-09, 09:48 AM
Thanks Tony

TINKA
18-04-09, 08:52 PM
Congratulations both of you. One down just one to go :D

How is the silicon :twisted: :twisted:

TonyD
18-04-09, 11:27 PM
Congratulations both of you. One down just one to go :D

How is the silicon :twisted: :twisted:

We'd like to point out that no silicones have been harmed in the making of this car........:):)

We only used one bit of silicone on the drivers side mirror as the screw into the screen pillar kept working loose.

A length of shower cubicle sealing strip went to cover the soft top channel in the top of the widscreen.

Moreover the twin 12 volt camping hairdryers worked like a charm for the windscreen demisting system so we could forget about plumbing in a demister/ heater together with the weight and opportunities for later leakage and the bulkhead is still intact ....

Cheers,

Tony

kayjayd
19-04-09, 01:09 PM
Well done Tony, just goes to show that where there is a will there's a way!!! Will the Lexus motor be at Le Mans next year? I'll have a beer waiting in the Northen boys inflatable beer cooler :mrgreen:

TonyD
19-04-09, 09:21 PM
Well done Tony, just goes to show that where there is a will there's a way!!! Will the Lexus motor be at Le Mans next year? I'll have a beer waiting in the Northen boys inflatable beer cooler :mrgreen:

Hi Kev,

Yes indeed, it is planned that the Lexus Cobra will be at the Le Mans CLassic 2010 so I will look forward to the cold beer........:mrgreen:

Cheers,

Tony

wilf
20-04-09, 08:16 AM
Gawd - a Cobra that sounds like a hairdryer! LOL

That has to be gay.....................:mrgreen:

tonym
20-04-09, 04:24 PM
Gawd - a Cobra that sounds like a hairdryer, just like a LS powered GD! LOL

That has to be gay.....................:mrgreen:

Fixed it for you Wilf :mrgreen:

wilf
20-04-09, 08:04 PM
I never said that.................;)

TonyD
20-04-09, 08:32 PM
Went for a bit of a run in the Lexus Cobra today, down to Worcester to get the age related plate and tax disc( where 5 guys all wanted to have a chat about the car), and then back home for the plates ( again there were two guys waiting for me to come out so they could have a chat), and then took the Mrs out to the Barnt Green Inn for a celebratory pint of Staropramen.

Just topped the tank off and its used 22 litres for its first 175 miles.

Thats 36 mpg to those not metric amongst us...........:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

And I haven't really been taking it easy as the bloke in the white Porsche near Bromsgrove would testify.........

Grace, pace and parsimonius with the motive juices, just what you want with a car.

Cheers,

Miket
20-04-09, 09:23 PM
Went for a bit of a run in the Lexus Cobra today, down to Worcester to get the age related plate and tax disc( where 5 guys all wanted to have a chat about the car), and then back home for the plates ( again there were two guys waiting for me to come out so they could have a chat), and then took the Mrs out to the Barnt Green Inn for a celebratory pint of Staropramen.

Thats 36 mpg to those not metric amongst us...........:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

And I haven't really been taking it easy as the bloke in the white Porsche near Bromsgrove would testify.........

Grace, pace and parsimonius with the motive juices, just what you want with a car.

Cheers,

Now all we need is some photo's. ;) ;)

kurrmet
21-04-09, 11:08 AM

Grace, pace and parsimonius with the motive juices, just what you want
with a car.

Cheers,

Hi Tony, glad you now have your SVA and can enjoy you fruits of your hard work until Tim comes along and take it home :(.

I see from above you are taking it easy at first ;).

look forward to catching up with you and tim at stoneleigh.

TonyD
21-04-09, 12:17 PM
And especially for Mike:)

Cheers,

Tony:)

wilf
21-04-09, 12:51 PM
Blimey - colour of that dashboard can only be described as ................well, gay really.

:mrgreen:

TonyD
21-04-09, 01:07 PM
Blimey - colour of that dashboard can only be described as ................well, gay really.

:mrgreen:

Well it was Carol, Tims Mrs, choice ( and she had see it in another Cobra at a show) and to be honest it does grow on you. I took the piss at the colour a bit at first but the dark blue piping on the seats and door cards does give the eyes a much needed respite.

Cheers,

Tony:-D