PDA

View Full Version : Un-SORNING.

Dek
22-04-09, 08:43 PM
Guys
Please remind me. If a vehicle is SORNED does it have to be un-SORNED to take for an MOT (as my inspector says) or do you just obtain the MOT and apply for tax which effectively un-SORNS the vehicle? I think the latter but he has put doubts in my mind.
Cheers
Dek

Purple AK
22-04-09, 08:55 PM
Guys
Please remind me. If a vehicle is SORNED does it have to be un-SORNED to take for an MOT (as my inspector says) or do you just obtain the MOT and apply for tax which effectively un-SORNS the vehicle? I think the latter but he has put doubts in my mind.
Cheers
DekYou can legally drive to and from a "prebooked" Mot appointment and to and from a place of repair (or scrapping) Your inspector is wrong ;)

wilf
22-04-09, 08:57 PM
You can't tax it without an MOT, and you can't un-SORN it without taxing it, so I suspect that driving to a pre-booked MOT test appointment would be OK.

The key words here are pre-booked. ;)

Clive
22-04-09, 09:25 PM
You will need to be insured to drive the car to and from the MOT station.

digger782
22-04-09, 09:48 PM
Just done mine, drove it to and from the MOT and then taxed it online.

Graham

Dek
23-04-09, 07:11 AM
Just done mine, drove it to and from the MOT and then taxed it online.

Graham

Thanks for that.
It is insured and the MOT is pre-booked so I should be ok to drive to the MOT station and then apply for tax on-line.
Cheers.
Dek

Clive
23-04-09, 09:37 AM
I found this if it's any good. :p ;)

Snore Calm Products - Snoring Remedies (http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/shop/snore_calm_brand.php)

madjohnny
23-04-09, 06:25 PM
I believe the place you have it MOT'd at should also be reasonably close as well, bit cheeky driving it 50 miles to an MOT station!

dingocooke
23-04-09, 06:46 PM
In order of priority the correct legal route is as follows:

1-The vehicle to be tested must be covered by valid insurance
2-Book an MOT and drive it directly to the MOT testing station for the test; make sure the MOT station takes your registration number and take a name when you book it.
3-Assuming it passes the MOT you may now tax it-it is then automatically 'un sorned' by being taxed; there is no process to remove SORN; it is only removed when you to tax the vehicle (or scrap it).

Im frankly amazed your MOT tester doesnt know this; it really is the most incredibly basic MOT knowledge.