PDA

View Full Version : 170BHP Spitfire for Sale

dbsmith
28-04-09, 09:27 AM
Thought you'd like this, saw it on the boards down at the White Waltham Club last week. Not sure why it's only got 170HP, the original was about 8 times that. Would be a bit like a Cobra with a Trabant engine in it.....

craggle
28-04-09, 09:40 AM
Cool.

A chap I work with fly's a Tiger Moth out of Waltham. He said he has seen a Cobra in the car park occasionally?

The Mk26 Spitfire is a modern recreation that is only 80% the size of the original. I guess the engine doesn't need to be quite so big when the plane is smaller and your not chasing Messerschmidt's around all day!

Craig.

Nobby
28-04-09, 09:45 AM
Can't be the real thing? Looks like one of those nasty replicas :p A V8? Sacrilege if it really is a genuine airframe.
Looking closely it seems a little smaller than the real thing? !70bhp in a full size Spit wouldn't even get it off the ground!

Bit like putting a RV8 in a Cob rep :p

Where's me tin helmet :o Incoming!

dbsmith
28-04-09, 10:07 AM
Yep, they're kit planes made out of Australia. Suppose it's the same principle as a Cobra replica, but in this case they seem to do the opposite with the BHP. Still pretty cool to own one though, always wanted to have a go in a Spit. Apparently the real Spits are incredibly difficult to fly because of the power involved - common for "newer" pilots to flip them over apparently.

Supermarine Aircraft - About The Mk 26 (http://www.supermarineaircraft.com/About.htm)

Warning - the website is only slightly better than the current Pilgrim one !

andicole0
28-04-09, 10:14 AM
This (http://www.sky-craft.co.uk/acatalog/Skycraft_Sales_Engine_342.html) will be engine supplier.

Andi.

clive a brown
28-04-09, 10:19 AM
[. Apparently the real Spits are incredibly difficult to fly because of the power involved - common for "newer" pilots to flip them over apparently.

[
The later marks of the spitfire had so much touque that the ailerons could not hold the aircraft level at full power at sea level.

must have made them fun to fly - lets ask charles church

clive

v8steve007
28-04-09, 10:33 AM
Nick, just wait till pete and graham see this lol you will be for it ;)
I remember seeing the merlin engined rolls in custom car mag .....god how old am i lol :(

Neil O
28-04-09, 11:21 AM
I remember seeing the merlin engined rolls in custom car mag .....god how old am i lol :(

At least as old as me, I remember that issue. ;)

Clive
28-04-09, 02:35 PM
Quite convincing from a distance, but doesn't sound like a Merlin. Close-up it is easy to see how small it is.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/c_johnston/DSC_0180.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/c_johnston/DSC_0182.jpg

chr15w
28-04-09, 02:44 PM
Bit like putting a RV8 in a Cob rep :p

Where's me tin helmet :o Incoming!

You cheeky barsteward

Sidecarbod
28-04-09, 03:20 PM
Nick, just wait till pete and graham see this lol you will be for it ;)

I'm choosing to ignore Nobby's pathetic attempts at winding us RV8 owners up. He has forgotten that I know how much throttle he does (or doesn't) use! ;)

Nobby
28-04-09, 04:06 PM
I'm choosing to ignore Nobby's pathetic attempts at winding us RV8 owners up. He has forgotten that I know how much throttle he does (or doesn't) use! ;)

:p Job done !

Nobby
28-04-09, 04:10 PM

Steve , there was a feature in Performance Car a few weeks ago of a nutter who's squeezed in Comet Tank engine (unsupercharged 27ltr Merlin V12) into his Rover SD1. I bet that gets down the road quite well!

BTW you made a decision on your new Cob yet?

Sidecarbod
28-04-09, 04:13 PM
:p Job done !

Less than half throttle....the big Gaylord! :-D

denis84
28-04-09, 05:08 PM

In french we say:

il vaut mieux une petite vivace qu'une grande mollasse !

Sidecarbod
28-04-09, 05:41 PM
In french we say:

il vaut mieux une petite vivace qu'une grande mollasse !

Nice one, see Nobby even the Nice French people think that you like to 'garden up hill'! :-D:p:D

Geezer
28-04-09, 06:29 PM
[. Apparently the real Spits are incredibly difficult to fly because of the power involved - common for "newer" pilots to flip them over apparently.

[
The later marks of the spitfire had so much touque that the ailerons could not hold the aircraft level at full power at sea level.

must have made them fun to fly - lets ask charles church

clive

Depends on airspeed - I think... :D

As regards Charles Church, I believe he had engine problems and had a case of 'get home itis'. Rather than leave the a/c he tried to eke it out to get into Blackbushe. Lost it in a turn. It was a long time ago and I may be wrong... :)

Pete

Nobby
28-04-09, 07:15 PM
Nice one, see Nobby even the Nice French people think that you like to 'garden up hill'! :-D:p:D

Ah yes my garden is a bit steep? I have to employ a someone to do the lawns etc now i'm getting on in years. Is that what you mean? :confused:

What I can't figure out is how the nice French person knows my house is on the side of a hill?? Spooky. :p

Nobby
28-04-09, 07:18 PM

Very true, i'm only using half throttle to keep up and you're still ugly :D

Sidecarbod
28-04-09, 07:39 PM
Very true, i'm only using half throttle to keep up and you're still ugly :D

Since when is disappearing in my rear view mirror "keeping up" :confused:

With you calling me ugly at least I know that I'm 'safe' !!!!

and your still a Git! :twisted:

c.lightburn
29-04-09, 08:29 AM
A chap at Gamston bought one of these scaled down Spitfires about a year ago. I saw it on the apron just after it was delivered. Looked good. However I never saw it fly because the proud owner fired it up for his first flight and then got out to remove the chocks................you can guess the rest! It hit the hangar doors relatively slowly, with the owner hanging on to the tail trying desperately to stop it. I didn't see the unfortunate event but the CFI did. The engine was shock damaged and I haven't seen it since.