PDA

View Full Version : Got bored, had to do something

Dixie
09-07-09, 06:00 PM
got bored the other night, found a strip of stainless that Hairysanta gave me, rolled a curved edge to it and made a grill protector.

I hit a Phesant the other day and it destroyed my grill, luckily the grill saved the radiator. So now I have put a stainless bar across the grill opening, it is only bonded in with silicone, so in the event of another contact with a phesant it should act as a sacrifical guard to my grill.

Not 100% sure I like the look of, so may bin it. Proof of the pudding is when Pete see's it.

dolphinboy400
10-07-09, 08:53 AM
got bored the other night, found a strip of stainless that Hairysanta gave me, rolled a curved edge to it and made a grill protector.

I hit a Phesant the other day and it destroyed my grill, luckily the grill saved the radiator. So now I have put a stainless bar across the grill opening, it is only bonded in with silicone, so in the event of another contact with a phesant it should act as a sacrifical guard to my grill.

Not 100% sure I like the look of, so may bin it. Proof of the pudding is when Pete see's it.

it looks good but if it were me i would have fitted it a little higher so it was more central. at least if you hit a pheasant now you will have it gutted and cut in half ready for the BBQ :D

Dixie
10-07-09, 10:29 AM
it looks good but if it were me i would have fitted it a little higher so it was more central. at least if you hit a pheasant now you will have it gutted and cut in half ready for the BBQ :D
My thinking behind making it lower was that I had intended to put another one just above it. But because I am unsure if I like it, waited to see what the final result looked like. Still not sure, it's only bonded in so will be easy to remove. The pub we stopped at had the Pheasant, it was still alive but stuck in the grill, someone had a nice tea!!

Mark

dolphinboy400
10-07-09, 11:05 AM
My thinking behind making it lower was that I had intended to put another one just above it. But because I am unsure if I like it, waited to see what the final result looked like. Still not sure, it's only bonded in so will be easy to remove. The pub we stopped at had the Pheasant, it was still alive but stuck in the grill, someone had a nice tea!!

Mark

dont think ive seen one with 2 bars that would be interesting to see :D maybe a bit of photoshop work could transform the one into two just for research purposes ;)

Miket
10-07-09, 11:27 AM
Here's one with 2 ;)

Big A
10-07-09, 12:01 PM
here's one in the middle

Regards Alan

Dude
10-07-09, 01:07 PM
Heres one with nothing! :lol:

simon
10-07-09, 01:24 PM
Yes I hate it when peasants get in the way too.

dolphinboy400
10-07-09, 03:48 PM
in true cobra club style you ask for one thing and get three , love it :D

still not sure which i prefer tho. maybe i'll get like Dixie when i'm up and running.

peterol1
10-07-09, 05:52 PM
Having bars in the front is now an IVA requirement. I have two 1" round highly polished stainless tubes to put in the front of mine but unsure how to fix them in....any ideas...?

Pete

Dixie
11-07-09, 09:39 AM
Having bars in the front is now an IVA requirement. I have two 1" round highly polished stainless tubes to put in the front of mine but unsure how to fix them in....any ideas...?

Pete

Lathe down 2 plugs, tap the ends with a 5mm thread. If you lathe down to near machine fit they wont rattle. Drill a small hole in side of grill opening and fix from behind. Should look good.

Mark

Carl L
11-07-09, 10:22 AM
And another!

Purple AK
11-07-09, 10:26 AM

Pete
A slightly more "Rural" approach than Mark. I whittled a couple of plugs from a broom handle, tapped them in and centre drilled them. I then fixed a couple of angle brackets to them with coach screws (works like a big rawlplug) and clamped the brackets to the overider studding with some extra nuts.

peterol1
11-07-09, 06:09 PM
Now why didn't I think of that......!
Many thanks for the ideas although it's not going to be easy pulling the broom handle out from where the wife inserted it.!
Just off for a quick whittle........

iancobrafan
16-01-10, 05:35 PM
Just come across this thread and i have attached a picture of how mine (1 bar) is fixed

Cheers

Ian

Hagster
16-01-10, 06:12 PM
Opps put Dingcookie not Dixie sorry

Dixie, here is yours with two bars, to see if you like it.

Only spent 2 mins not to much messing about to get the reflection correct, but you get the idea.

Regards Guy

Dixie
16-01-10, 08:05 PM
Opps put Dingcookie not Dixie sorry

Dixie, here is yours with two bars, to see if you like it.

Only spent 2 mins not to much messing about to get the reflection correct, but you get the idea.

Regards Guy

Thanks Guy.

Might re-do it and make it fit the middle correctly, I actually dont like the 2 bar look.

Mark

Hagster
17-01-10, 09:42 AM
Center bar look.

Regards Guy

Dixie
17-01-10, 06:08 PM
Center bar look.

Regards Guy

That looks much better. Thats made up my mind, will replace it in the centre.

Thanks

Mark