PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe cobra builder news guidance

pilotchap
09-07-09, 09:50 PM
Hi all,

I am considering building a cobra. I am looking at the dax427 and the GD427 can anyone give me advise on the benifits of each or even that i should be looking at something else. I want to put a 427ci engine in it ie 500bhp+

many thanks for your help

Lloyd Barnes
09-07-09, 09:58 PM
Hi all,

I am considering building a cobra. I am looking at the dax427 and the GD427 can anyone give me advise on the benifits of each or even that i should be looking at something else. I want to put a 427ci engine in it ie 500bhp+

Welcome,

427ci in a Dax, nice...:mrgreen: What kind of 427? stroked Ford/Chevy or a big block sideoiler?

I've got a Dax427 so I'm biased! Good quality car, but then they all are nowadays, Dedion variant provides excellent handling. Search through the posts, particulalry the "newbies" forum and you'll see the question "which kit should I build" has been asked many times.

If possible head along to a club meet so you can try a few out for size. Best of luck with the build :-)

pilotchap
09-07-09, 10:08 PM
i have no idea which engine as yet as i don't know what is out there and which one would be best suited. I am fully open to all the guidance i can get at the minute as i am such a newbie to this. I have seen an LS7 which looks quite neat but then there may be many other better choices?

Lloyd Barnes
09-07-09, 10:15 PM
i have no idea which engine as yet as i don't know what is out there and which one would be best suited. I am fully open to all the guidance i can get at the minute as i am such a newbie to this. I have seen an LS7 which looks quite neat but then there may be many other better choices?

ok then if you can post up some ideas of what you're looking to achieve, ie authentic or bling mobile!, road only, some track days etc plus if you can indicate a rought budget you have in mind, then the crowd here would be able to offer usfeul advice :-)

Adrian427
10-07-09, 01:17 AM
Hi all,

I am considering building a cobra. I am looking at the dax427 and the GD427 can anyone give me advise on the benifits of each or even that i should be looking at something else.:) I want to put a 427ci engine in it ie 500bhp+ :)

PilotChap
Hi and Welcome.
Can i ask one question please. What is your previous car history?? Have you ever raced or took part in any form of motorsport, in a driving capacity??? Im very curious to this!
I look forward to your reply.

Thanks

craggle
10-07-09, 09:06 AM
Hi Pilot chap (are you a pilot?)

Welcome to the forum. The two cars you have picked out are both great cars. I reckon the GD has the edge on the chassis design but The Dax has a very nicely done De-Dion suspension design. Also check out the available cockpit room as the GD transmission tunnel isn't exactly small.

If you really want a 427 then you could go for a special small block motor based around an alumnium Dart block or go bigger and fit a 454 big block Chevy or even the GM 502 motor. The Dax demonstrator has a 502 so be sure to go have a look.

Don't under estimate the smaller motors though. A 350 or 383 Chevy with the right gear on it can give you 450 horse power. That should be enough to scare you for a while.:p

Craig.

Lloyd Barnes
10-07-09, 09:14 AM
If you really want a 427 then you could go for a special small block motor based around an alumnium Dart block or go bigger and fit a 454 big block Chevy or even the GM 502 motor. The Dax demonstrator has a 502 so be sure to go have a look.
Craig.

If you really want the magical 427 number then (washes mouth out :mrgreen:) perhaps it ought to be a Ford?

craggle
10-07-09, 09:19 AM
Yeah alright, Forgot that option!:rolleyes:

To be honest though, is it really an option? I thought the genuine 427CI motors were damn expensive to find because all the Americans try to fit them in their Cobra look a likes.
Isn't there a cheaper Ford option that looks near enough the same from the outside 460?

Craig.

ldtopham
10-07-09, 09:22 AM
I think it's the 390FE that can be made to look externally like the 427. Some folk even tap the core plug holes in the block for threaed freeze plugs in their quest for a 'look a likey'.

Lloyd Barnes
10-07-09, 02:15 PM

Craig.

Its distasteful to think of, thats why...lights blue touch paper :mrgreen:

I was thinking more of a stroked ford small block, isn't there a combo that reaches 427ci?

wilf
10-07-09, 03:06 PM

To be honest though, is it really an option?
Craig.

Craggle old chap - which planet are you currently residing upon?

The correct and only thinking man's choice of engine marque and you don't think it is an option? My gast is susbtantially flabbered. 8-)

Seriously - to answer the OP's question - yes, there are Ford small and big blocks that work extremely well in Cobras.

Once we know a bit more about why you want the car and what you want it to do, we should be able to hone in on the "better" options for you. Then you can decide what you want.

craggle
10-07-09, 03:40 PM
I was only questioning if the real 427 was really an option. Seems silly to me to spend a premium on an engine that is original if you are sticking it into anything less than a Kirkham.

If you want a Ford engine, Then go for it, bloody good power plants. If you want something that looks original though research the other options to get one that looks correct but is cheaper than the real thing.

I like GM engines though, From what I have seen of Fords the GM is a simpler design and more parts seem to be interchangeable over the different size motors. Not a lot changed during the Chevy small block production.

Craig.

pilotchap
13-07-09, 10:47 AM
thanks for all your posts. i have never raced or owned any sports car except i did have a calbra 4x4 turbo many years back when they were cool! I am 6'3 so will have to take a close look to see if i can actually fit in a cobra