PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors on the doors?

Deck
27-07-09, 06:45 PM
HI hi.
I'm thinking of putting my mirrors on the doors. I've been driving about in an MX5 and a TT and really liked having the mirrors close as they are on both. I've got the "long arc arm" type from europa with circular mirrors.
Most cars i've seen either have them on the screen or the body in front of the door. I've spent a while studying pictures from events but can't see any which has me worried! Has anyone put the mirrors onto the doors? and regretted it? Do this type hold position when closing etc?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers

wilf
27-07-09, 07:04 PM
If you like a jolly good view of your rear wings, then mirrors on the doors is a sound idea. ;)

Seriously - the only place where a mirror will give you anything like a decent view of whats behind you is on the screen pillars.

Deck
27-07-09, 07:46 PM
Thanks Wilf.
Yet again I've done the research after the purchase!!

I could always go for that 80's loads of mirrors scooter look, unless there's an adapter piece that allows me to fit the panel mounted arms onto the screen post...

damn!

Iain
27-07-09, 10:01 PM
Deck,

I agree with Wilf. Mirrors on the Windscreen pillars in my opinion are the best. I got the ones from S&J Motors, very good too.

Cheers...

DevonFrog
03-08-09, 03:26 PM
Only thing I can think is that with the mirrors on the doors you'd struggle with side screens if you have wet weather gear.

Regarding the mirrors on the screen, ours are on the wing next to the screen. You can see Jack S*it through them but they do look good! (bullet type).

Flykilla
08-08-09, 12:19 AM
Thanks Wilf.
Yet again I've done the research after the purchase!!

I could always go for that 80's loads of mirrors scooter look, unless there's an adapter piece that allows me to fit the panel mounted arms onto the screen post...

damn!

Deck, if its any consolation, I have just done exactly the same thing. I have just procured some nice SS tex bullet mirrors, then I found this post.. I know full well I am not going to see much out of them, but they will look the part. After being on a bike for the last 3 years, I always tend to turn around and have a look at whats next to or behind me anyway.

markr
10-08-09, 09:01 AM
If you put the mirrors forward of the screen, the drivers side will be fine but you won't see nowt in the passenger side one. And if your passenger is tall and you don't look over your left shoulder far enough, you've got a chance of being creamed by a bloody big 4x4 overtaking on the inside.

Whoops. Close.

neil50
10-08-09, 07:27 PM
If you put the mirrors forward of the screen, the drivers side will be fine but you won't see nowt in the passenger side one. And if your passenger is tall and you don't look over your left shoulder far enough, you've got a chance of being creamed by a bloody big 4x4 overtaking on the inside.

Whoops. Close.

don't go slow enough to get overtaken....inside or outside :twisted::-P

Deck
13-08-09, 06:14 PM
I'm mainly worried about the things getting shaken off when the door is banged closed and the tester not being happy. I think he can be satisfied with a high enough middle mirror.
I was under the impression that they are mainly for getting a look at their faces as one disappears into the distance....

maxGD059
13-08-09, 06:50 PM
Put the mirrors where you think they look best, esp as you have already bought them. Then get a convex mirror to go on the screen to compensate for the huge blind spots you have created & ignore your side mirrors

labeline
29-03-11, 09:46 PM
Have to agree, mine are on the wings next to the screen. I can see the rear wing and a bit of road in the drivers side and nothing at all in the passenger mirror, They do look very nice though. I have two rear view mirrors on the interior, one on the scuttle and a high one on the centre stay for the rare occasions I have the hood on. I would have thought they would also interfere with your wind wings if they were on the doors unless they were low down and that may look a bit weird. I like mine where they are and I just look over my shoulders if I want to see what's behind me a la motorbike.

Delfim
29-03-11, 09:54 PM
On my cobra the bullet shapped mirrors are mounted just a bit to the front of the wind screen. They look very nice there. I can not see Jack Schitt with them but ... they look nice!!!
At the anual inspection, they allways ask me what is the pourpose of those big bullets and the answer is always the same: they´re there to compliment the rest of the bling!

Delfim
29-03-11, 10:05 PM
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee26/AUDIA5/DSC05321.jpg
Like I said , they look nice but... Jack Schitt !!!!

cobracol
30-03-11, 12:12 AM
150mm curved stalk round head mirrors fitted on the bodywork, each side of the screen, works for me, and no problem with rear view, tried the 100mm stalks, but a lot of the rear vision is obscured, i would imagine bullet mirrors, though look good, and as Delfim said, are pretty useless, i can see various problems trying to fit mirrors to the doors, access to the fitting being only one of them, not overkeen on the look of the screen fixing mirrors, but do give the best rearward vision

labeline
30-03-11, 11:15 AM
I fancy having gay power steering on my Cobretti. Is it difficult to fit? I think I will also look for the 150mm curved stalk mirrors. I have the 100mm variety and I get a great view of the rear wing and a little bit of road.

Cogs
30-03-11, 01:55 PM

Hi

I used to have mirrors on the wings (see left hand pic) , which were useless. I have replaced them with three Raydyot brushed ally mirrors (see right hand pic), two on the screen and one in the middle. I believe that is the correct set up for an S/C type look rather than the English 289 look. They all can be used too, which is handy.

I have the chrome bullet mirrors somewhere if anyone wants them

Cogs

cobracol
30-03-11, 02:25 PM
I fancy having gay power steering on my Cobretti. Is it difficult to fit? I think I will also look for the 150mm curved stalk mirrors. I have the 100mm variety and I get a great view of the rear wing and a little bit of road.

I fitted Pas from new (easy), but no reason why i could not be fitted afterwards, mines hydraulic, so would involve a new steering rack, and pump, but it would probably also be possible with a new column with the electronic motor (Corsa), however ill say it before anyone else does, you dont need it!, but i love mine!. Sorry for the digression

Mirrors are from Europa Spares

Dek
30-03-11, 03:07 PM
Just phoned S&J Motors re the windscreen mounted mirrors and they are 150 quid a pair! Does anyone know if they are available cheaper elsewhere? Also do they interfere with windwings if fitted?
Cheers
Dek

Cogs
30-03-11, 03:10 PM
No, they don't inderfere with windwings and no way should they cost £150 a pair - shop about

cobracol
30-03-11, 03:11 PM

Hi

I used to have mirrors on the wings (see left hand pic) , which were useless. I have replaced them with three Raydyot brushed ally mirrors (see right hand pic), two on the screen and one in the middle. I believe that is the correct set up for an S/C type look rather than the English 289 look. They all can be used too, which is handy.

I have the chrome bullet mirrors somewhere if anyone wants them

Cogs

Just to point out, mine is a replica, and is not pretending to be "Correct";), also it has never been confused for a 289:D, i had the pillar mount ones for SVA but i was finding that they partialy blocked my view from traffic approaching from the side, or diagonally, so used the ones that worked, rather than Original style

Cogs
30-03-11, 03:18 PM
you are right - there is no "correct" ness in the world of the Cobra. We choose whatever we like.. I used to love those bullet mirrors and then some bugger turned up with the Raydyot ones and I am dreaming again ..

labeline
30-03-11, 03:25 PM
Car looks nice!!

Purple AK
30-03-11, 05:46 PM
SVC have the screen pillar mirrors on special at the moment. 58.50 each plus postage. ;)
External Mirrors or Interior Mirrors from Stafford Vehicle Components (http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod_mirrors.html)

Dek
31-03-11, 10:47 AM
SVC have the screen pillar mirrors on special at the moment. 58.50 each plus postage. ;)
External Mirrors or Interior Mirrors from Stafford Vehicle Components (http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod_mirrors.html)

Thanks for the link Chris-much more reasonably priced.
Dek

tonym
31-03-11, 04:00 PM

Are those IVA friendly do you know Chris??

Purple AK
31-03-11, 05:11 PM
Are those IVA friendly do you know Chris??
Should be Tone. They look identicle to my SVA friendly ones. AFAIK the requirements are correct field of view, correct radii, and the ability to swing back and be adjusted.

tonym
31-03-11, 05:46 PM
Should be Tone. They look identicle to my SVA friendly ones. AFAIK the requirements are correct field of view, correct radii, and the ability to swing back and be adjusted.

Ok cheers :-)

Dek
31-03-11, 06:51 PM

Chris what holes should be looked for on the windscreen pillar?
Dek

Purple AK
31-03-11, 07:00 PM
Chris what holes should be looked for on the windscreen pillar?
Dek
Assuming the fitment is the same as S&J's (as they say "no need to drill pillers") there will be an oval alloy block that bolts into the second hole up on the piller with a longer supplied screw. The mirror then attaches to the plate via a plastic wedge and grubscrew.

Dek
04-04-11, 04:41 PM
Assuming the fitment is the same as S&J's (as they say "no need to drill pillers") there will be an oval alloy block that bolts into the second hole up on the piller with a longer supplied screw. The mirror then attaches to the plate via a plastic wedge and grubscrew.

Thanks Chris
Sorry for the delay in replying-it took me a while to get in the garage to have a look. There are two small threaded holes in the pillar just above the top windwing hinge. The one nearest to the windscreen glass is a 'blind' hole the other is open and goes right through. Is it one of these and is a one small bolt fixing secure enough to hold the bracket in place given the amount of wind resistance on it?
Thanks.
Dek

Clive
04-04-11, 05:40 PM
The two small threaded holes at the top of the pillar are for the clips that tension the hood bows over the top of the windscreen. The mirrors fit on the other hole between the hinges (Normally 2ba).

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/c_johnston/P6020009.jpg

Clive
04-04-11, 05:46 PM
Raydots can also be mounted on the pillars with brackets like these available from Hawk Cars.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/c_johnston/20080918002.jpg