PDA

View Full Version : Help needed from GD MK3 builders!!!!

DJB
10-08-09, 02:40 PM
I need some input from all you guys that have built a MK3. I have just bought mine and it needs to be rebuilt as it was a poor job. I'm going through various things working out what needs to be done when the body comes off etc.

I have a problem with my steering setup. It just doesn't seem right. The steering wheel hub is pressed into the dash and makes it that my right knuckles hit the body.

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/shelby427uk/CIMG00571.jpg

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/shelby427uk/CIMG00861.jpg

It does not seem that i have any extra anywhere to pull the column forward. Where the column is mounted it has a 1" pile of washers between the column and the mounting point.

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/shelby427uk/CIMG00581.jpg

And at the UJ where it meets the shaft to the rack, the splines do not match. No matter ho tight i clamp the UJ, it will not grip the shaft properly. (the shaft fits into the rack UJ perfectly)

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/shelby427uk/CIMG00156.jpg

Can anyone tell me if these are the correct parts that are installed?

Another problem is the seals around the roll bars. Surely this is not the right one for the car?? The picture does not properly highlight enough how bad this looks. I'm thinking there must be a contoured one for this section?

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/shelby427uk/CIMG0001.jpg

Trevor
10-08-09, 04:55 PM
DJB
Yes sorry to say it looks a bit of a botch job all round.

The jag column is the wrong way up to the standard installation so I guess you are not able to use the standard key barrel as it will be on the left rather than in clear space on the right

The U clamp inside the engine compartment looks physically in the right place so I think a bit of measuring of diameters needed to make sure the clamp is correct.
The first of the two shafts going to the rack seem to be heading off more to the centre line than expected. Do you have this supported by a rose joint attched to the chassis before joining up with the next section ?

Two pics to give some idea of steering wheel position relative to dash.
Instead of washers or tubes I made a solid aluminium block to support the column - the column yet to be centred in the first picture.

The roll bar sealing is normally via rubber gaiters and although not the nicest, are certainly better than those fitted. I do not have a picture to hand though.

Hope that helps a little.
Trevor

DJB
10-08-09, 06:28 PM
DJB
Yes sorry to say it looks a bit of a botch job all round.

The jag column is the wrong way up to the standard installation so I guess you are not able to use the standard key barrel as it will be on the left rather than in clear space on the right

My dash has a barrel for the ignition key

The U clamp inside the engine compartment looks physically in the right place so I think a bit of measuring of diameters needed to make sure the clamp is correct.
The first of the two shafts going to the rack seem to be heading off more to the centre line than expected. Do you have this supported by a rose joint attched to the chassis before joining up with the next section ?

My steering shaft is a one piece. from the UJ at the column it goes straight into a UJ at the rack

Two pics to give some idea of steering wheel position relative to dash.
Instead of washers or tubes I made a solid aluminium block to support the column - the column yet to be centred in the first picture.

Thanks, that's what i needed. The position of your hub is just where i would like mine to be. I have just received an email from Andy at GD telling me the column is adjustable and how to do it, so i'm going to check that out in a sec. He also send a picture of the column mounting and his was the other way around just like yours. I don't suppose this matters if you don't intend on using the barrel though? I want to put in an under dash filler panel so i wouldn't be able to use it anyway

The roll bar sealing is normally via rubber gaiters and although not the nicest, are certainly better than those fitted. I do not have a picture to hand though.
Trevor

If anyone has a picture of these and a place to get them from it would be appreciated.

DJB
10-08-09, 07:41 PM
OK, i now have the steering hub where i want it. Wish i'd known they were adjustable sooner :oops:

Now all i need is the cover to go over the hub, chrome surround for the dash and a mota lita wheel. Does anyone know if i can get one to go onto the Raid hub or weather i will need to buy the whole wheel/hub assembley?

Richo427
11-08-09, 12:02 PM
Hi Darren,
I do not have pictures of the roll hoop grommets with me but I should be able to do something tonight if you still have problems. I got my grommets from Andy at GD. I will try to attach a picture of my car and if you can zoom in a bit you will see them.

DJB
11-08-09, 12:42 PM
Hi Darren,
I do not have pictures of the roll hoop grommets with me but I should be able to do something tonight if you still have problems. I got my grommets from Andy at GD. I will try to attach a picture of my car and if you can zoom in a bit you will see them.

Thanks. I didn't think they were original ones that were on the car. I'll add them to my order from GD. Now i've just got to repair the holes that were drilled to fit them :mad:

maxGD059
11-08-09, 12:43 PM
Richo427 -just noticed your location in South Leicestershire. Welcome to the merry throng -I'm in Broughton with another blue, somewhat dirty GD :D.

Steve
11-08-09, 06:24 PM
older GD did have the column fitted that way round....no idea why

tonym
11-08-09, 07:49 PM
Richo427 -just noticed your location in South Leicestershire. Welcome to the merry throng -I'm in Broughton with another blue, somewhat dirty GD :D.

Rich, There's been a blue cobra round the village recently with a "cobra" reg no, think its a Gd :D

Richo427
11-08-09, 08:18 PM
Yep that's my GD 'A CO8RA V' I hope the old bill feels kindly towards me ;)
Iv'e had a few take a close look already !

maxGD059
11-08-09, 08:55 PM
Ah ha -so we've made 4 from 2+2
I hope you realise we'll only meet up with you if your car is dirty :wink:

Seriously though, welcome along -prob bump into you filling up with superunleaded at the Shell station or at one of the East Mids meets

tonym
11-08-09, 09:16 PM

If you see a silver mondeo taxi flashing at you that'll be me :p stop and we'll have a chat :D

maxGD059
12-08-09, 07:50 AM
If you see a silver mondeo taxi flashing at you that'll be me :p stop and we'll have a chat :D

Now big T, that really is something that would attract plods attention ;)

tonym
12-08-09, 08:45 AM
Now big T, that really is something that would attract plods attention ;)

Look officer...................No hands :p:p

chiffer
12-08-09, 10:15 AM
Trust me they won't, and it could cost you :!:. They seem to be stepping up on Redg. plates that do not conform.

Richo427
12-08-09, 11:22 AM
Trust me they won't, and it could cost you :!:. They seem to be stepping up on Redg. plates that do not conform.
Got a proper set in the boot !! ' Oops sorry officer got my show pates on and forgot to change them '

Do you reckon I would get away with it ?

maxGD059
12-08-09, 12:11 PM
You might; but big T certainly wouldn't if he was flashing & speeding with a recently 'fallen off' number plate aswell ;)

Why give plod even more ammo?

Richo427
12-08-09, 04:00 PM
You might; but big T certainly wouldn't if he was flashing & speeding with a recently 'fallen off' number plate aswell ;)

Why give plod even more ammo?
Ah I see what you mean !!