PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake Lever

Uncle Dickie
16-09-09, 06:21 PM
Hi All,

The car has been in for its MOT and failed (as it has for the last 3 years) on, amongst other things, the handbrake lever no longer working. Aparently the ratchet is worn / broken.

Can anyone point me in a direction for sourcing a replacement lever? I'm not sure exactly what I need as I haven't been back to the garage yet.

Cheers,

Richard

stu-pid
16-09-09, 09:56 PM
I've just purchased handbrake pads from John Gordon but am not sure if they would sell replace handbrake lever's. There telephone number is 01254 398476 or Email johnjaggordon@aol.com assuming it's a jag handbrake.
Whilst were on the subject any suggestions on the easy way of replacing handbrake pads would be welcome, i am of thinking dropping the axel to gain access to the top of the calipers as there isn't much room to do it in situ, not to mention when your flat on your back trying to do it on axel stands.

Purple AK
16-09-09, 10:02 PM
Hi Richard. Assuming it's a Jag lever? They are a flyoff lever and work in reverse to a normal handbrake, IE you have to hold the button in to get it to latch on, and just lift the lever to release it. Maybe your tester isn't familiar with them? :rolleyes:

slogger
16-09-09, 10:56 PM
Hi Richard. Assuming it's a Jag lever? They are a flyoff lever and work in reverse to a normal handbrake, IE you have to hold the button in to get it to latch on, and just lift the lever to release it. Maybe your tester isn't familiar with them? :rolleyes:

Mine failed like this all those years ago. had to put the tester straight............................I must be getting my memory back!:D

l'spa ram driver
22-09-09, 09:07 PM
Mine failed like this all those years ago. had to put the tester straight............................I must be getting my memory back!:D

I used a mix of MGB and MG midget handbake bits to fit to the Ram chassis - I think I used the lever from one and the pivot/ratchet from the other to make it work.. but its a sod to adjust every year - You can tighen from the caliper - there are some good jag hand brake 'threads' out there if you search
the forums.

Cheers

Hugh

Geezer
22-09-09, 10:46 PM

Mine doesn't... and AFAIK it's a Jag one, although the way you describe it sounds more like a Fly-off.

Mine is pull up to lock on, as in most other cars, only the difference is that the lever drops back to the floor (to enable you to get into the car as it is situated to the right of the drivers' seat). Then comes the tricky bit... to disengage, pull up the lever until you hit the lock and then continue pulling upwards whilst pressing the button in to release it. Button has to be held in whilst lowering the lever to the floor. Maybe mine isn't a Fly-off and is specific to Dax... :(

craggle
22-09-09, 11:02 PM
That's exactly how mine works Pete and mine was taken from a Jag XJS.

Craig.

Geezer
22-09-09, 11:41 PM
That's exactly how mine works Pete and mine was taken from a Jag XJS.

Craig.

Yep, mine's an XJS too... :D

slogger
23-09-09, 10:53 AM
Yep, mine's an XJS too... :D

Sorry, my post intimates that my Cob failed because of a fly off hand brake. I meant it failed because the tester was unfamiliar with its operation.

Mine is XJS and works as you describe. Mine failed the mot because the lever dropped to the floor and the guy couldn't release the thing so he reported it as defective. Our V12 Lagonda, 1939, also failed on the hand brake as this was a true fly off and the guy didn't have a clue. (Normal tester was away).

We took a 1898 Stone bow, horseless carriage:D, for Mot at a local Tyre service/ Test centre. They gave it to a lad who was still in training..........poor bugger he didn't know where to start. Steering, err slack. Tyres and tread, err none. Brakes, err if you are lucky. Lights, have you got a box of matches. Suspension and dampers, ha ha, the same as an old cart. And there was oil every where as these engines are total loss lubrication. The good old days!:cool:

RogerKnill
23-09-09, 12:38 PM
Hi All,

Can anyone point me in a direction for sourcing a replacement lever? I'm not sure exactly what I need as I haven't been back to the garage yet.

Cheers,

Richard

My RAM handbrake is all Midget. I think the MBG will fit but the midget is all chrome whereas the MGB is not. - i think