PDA

View Full Version : cleveland + getrag doughnut

gilby
21-09-09, 11:14 AM
I've just broken the doughnut between my GETRAG and the JAG axle , any body knows from which car it's coming ? many thanks .
the only ref i've got is : GOETZE 11078322.

TonyD
21-09-09, 12:08 PM
I've just broken the doughnut between my GETRAG and the JAG axle , any body knows from which car it's coming ? many thanks .

I would be of a mind to replace the doughnut with something more substantial as it will be likely to flex too much when you apply the power as it doesn't have the additional support ( and operates in a different angle )than it would have in its original application.

I took the original rubber doughnut at the back end of a ZF Tiptronic box into a local engineering shop and got a large piece of billet aluminium turned down and the dowelled bolt holes drilled to a direct copy of the rubber doughnut for less than 30 Euros.

Cheers,

Tony

Stevednorris
21-09-09, 12:19 PM
Is this what your looking for?

XJ40 X300 Jaguar OE Propshaft Flexible Jurid Coupling on eBay (end time 22-Sep-09 08:27:02 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XJ40-X300-Jaguar-OE-Propshaft-Flexible-Jurid-Coupling_W0QQitemZ380158857521QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item58833bd1 31&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

gilby
21-09-09, 04:47 PM
thanks Steve , you're as quick as the Cob for the reply !
it seems very similar , i will check with the seller for the size.

gilby
21-09-09, 04:53 PM
Tony , my idea was the same as yours but ....is there any movement at all front and aft for the gearbox ? my own RAM is RV8 so i've not this trouble as the propshaft has no doughnut ; it's a good friend RAM which is fitted with a 351 + 4 spds Getrag.

Stevednorris
21-09-09, 05:03 PM
Tony , my idea was the same as yours but ....is there any movement at all front and aft for the gearbox ? my own RAM is RV8 so i've not this trouble as the propshaft has no doughnut ; it's a good friend RAM which is fitted with a 351 + 4 spds Getrag.
I'm due to pick up the propshaft for my AK, XJ40 based, they've got rid of the rubber Jurid coupling and have had metal adapters machined up instead. It might be worth giving them a ring.

TonyD
21-09-09, 06:24 PM

The doughnut is commonly used to soak up vibration and shock loadings when gearchanging or changing speed.

It is normally part of a two shafted propshaft with support bearings in the middle of the two shafts, the complete assembly all running in a flat plane thus not distorting the doughnut at all.

In a Cobra application the propshaft always runs at an angle and is short with no central bearing support. This leads to distortion of the doughnut as it flexes far more than it was originally designed for with every revolution of the propshaft. I had exactly this problem which is why I changed my rubber doughnut for a replacment aluminium spacer.

In my later Cobras I simply removed the doughnut completely and fitted the propshaft flanges directly to the gearbox and diff flanges with absolutely no ill effects. Indeed doing this would reduce the angle of the propshaft in your friends Ram which can only be a good thing.

Cheers,

Tony:)

gilby
22-09-09, 02:17 PM
Tony, my friend has send his propshaft to be modified in the way you have done .....good advice.
Tyres speaking , mine was fitted with very old and hard 255/60/15 + 215/60/15 GOODRICH T/A , i've just fitted TOYO 600+ in 295/50/15+ 225/60/15 , it's really perfect (i just trimmed 1 or 2 mm from the inside lips of the rear wings. I have not yet tried on the wet as the weather is fine this week until to day ! as soon as it rain (to morrow ) i will try theCob , as with the old tyres it was really "special" on the wet.