PDA

View Full Version : Leg room in Hawk 289

doggio
24-09-09, 12:03 PM
Hi all,

After many months I've finally got myself a Hawk 289 and am now looking at various bits which I feel want doing or tweaking (god help me - mates are just telling me to leave it be and drive it :roll:).

One thing I find being a tall chap is that the leg/knee room under the dash is very tight even with the seat back as far as it will go and shifting the runners. I think I may need to end up raising the lower edge of the dash but would be useful to know if anyone else has had similar problems and how they got over it?

Cheers, Giles.

Neil O
24-09-09, 12:36 PM
Leave it be and drive it.;)

Also, buy smaller shoes.;)

Seriously though.....

What kind of knee roll do your seats have? Could you get them altered a little?
What is the bottom edge of the dash like? Is there a flat edge that will be lost if you cut it off?

Clive
24-09-09, 01:28 PM
Hi Giles.
This is not too easy to resolve as the bottom of the dash has a square section bar running from side to side which supports the steering column and connects the "A" frames for the doors.
The most common method to stop your knees hitting the underside of the dash is to remove the seat runners and bolt the seat directly to the floor, or lower the pedal box, which is a major structural job.
My advice would be to learn to live with it, I have and now sit in such a way as my knees are no longer hitting the dash. I have driven my car for over 14 hours in a day and don't have any issues now.
(Besides it would be sacrilidge to alter the look of such a pretty car!)

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/c_johnston/Nikon879.jpg

robin289
24-09-09, 01:29 PM
Dear Giles,
I too have a Hawk 289. I am only about 5`8" so no real worries. Simplest option if you are to be the only driver as is often the case with Cobras is to dispence with the runners altogether and fix the seat directly to the floor of the car. This has two effects, often the last stop on an adjustable seat is not at the furthest point of travel so you could gain an inch or so there. You will also lower the seat by an inch or two which will give you more knee room(and head room).

Hope this helps

Robin

nick986
24-09-09, 01:32 PM
In the Sumo build construction manual it says you can cut a V in the two sides of each pedal, then bending the pedal back to close the V and then welding the joint.
I have the other problem, with the seat fully forward I have problems pushing the clutch pedal all the way down without shifting my body position. I do not want to move the seat forward any more or I will look like an old lady driver (very close to the steering wheel). I have thought about wearing a blocker boot on my left foot or make/ purchase a bracket/block.
Any info please.

Nick

Clive
24-09-09, 03:17 PM
In the Sumo build construction manual it says you can cut a V in the two sides of each pedal, then bending the pedal back to close the V and then welding the joint.
I have the other problem, with the seat fully forward I have problems pushing the clutch pedal all the way down without shifting my body position. I do not want to move the seat forward any more or I will look like an old lady driver (very close to the steering wheel). I have thought about wearing a blocker boot on my left foot or make/ purchase a bracket/block.
Any info please.

Nick

Easy answer to that problem!

http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/1495/70s_7.gif

:p:twisted:;)

denis84
24-09-09, 05:18 PM
Any info please.

Nick

Hello

When i bought my car there was a piece of wood (plywood) half an inch thick screwwed on the clutch pedal ,i think the guy has the same problem that you have
No many problem there for me now,as the car is under reconstruction,with a tailored driving position !!!

nick986
24-09-09, 06:51 PM
Have you seen the price of plywood these days. I think the shoe option might be the best or I might try these people.

Easy Rider Pedal Extenders Home (http://www.pedalextenders.com/)
Nick

Hello

When i bought my car there was a piece of wood (plywood) half an inch thick screwwed on the clutch pedal ,i think the guy has the same problem that you have
No many problem there for me now,as the car is under reconstruction,with a tailored driving position !!!

nick986
24-09-09, 06:58 PM
Hello

Have you seen the price of plywood these days. I like the boot option or I might try these Easy Rider Pedal Extenders Home (http://www.pedalextenders.com/)

Lol Nick

KevinW
24-09-09, 07:19 PM
If none of that works, if you dig hard enough, there is a Hawk 289 FIA build story on the web assocated with totalkitcar. Im sufficiently sad that I downloaded and printed the whole story when I was thinking of a Hawk build. He lowered the seats by cutting / angling and so dropping the floorpan at the rear of the cockpit. Not easy, as he had to avoid the outriggers(?).

doggio
25-09-09, 12:54 PM
Ha ha!

Cheers everyone for the tips :-D funnily enough I have actually bought some smaller-soled shoes which does help!

I'm taking the advice to leave it alone for now until I've done some proper distance driving - I'm doing a 250-mile shakedown round trip south this weekend. With an anticipated big grin on my face :mrgreen:

I suspect if I really need to then taking the runners out will be the next option. Thanks Clive also for the dash rail photo I think the dash does need to stay intact. I did think about altering the pedal depth too but it has original AC pedals so loath to cut them or take them out!

Thanks again to all - will see what occurs during the weekend...

V8bassman
25-09-09, 02:44 PM
I'm having a similar problem with my Hawk, but its more of a headroom issue as if I sit bolt upright I'm almost looking over the top of the screen and thats with the seat as far back as it will go. For the time being I'm having to slouch a bit but I'll have to do something to sort it soon. Just waiting to see if wifey ever wants to drive it which will mean keeping the seat runners attached (she's about a foot smaller than me), if not I'll remove the runners and bolt the seat straight to the floor.

hachenburger
25-09-09, 03:43 PM
I'm having a similar problem with my Hawk, but its more of a headroom issue as if I sit bolt upright I'm almost looking over the top of the screen and thats with the seat as far back as it will go. For the time being I'm having to slouch a bit but I'll have to do something to sort it soon. Just waiting to see if wifey ever wants to drive it which will mean keeping the seat runners attached (she's about a foot smaller than me), if not I'll remove the runners and bolt the seat straight to the floor.

Hi V8bassman

may I ask how tall you are ?
Best regards

V8bassman
25-09-09, 08:09 PM
Hi V8bassman

may I ask how tall you are ?
Best regards

Not particularly tall, 6'-1" (1.87m) but my back is long, hence the problem. Its caused me grief in all sorts of cars. :( I once had a peugeot 406 with a seat so high my head touched the roof and I had to have 2" cut off the seat frame just to so I could get in the car!

KevinW
26-09-09, 12:03 PM
Not particularly tall, 6'-1" (1.87m) but my back is long, hence the problem. Its caused me grief in all sorts of cars. :( I once had a peugeot 406 with a seat so high my head touched the roof and I had to have 2" cut off the seat frame just to so I could get in the car!

had the same problem in small hatchbacks.
Problem fixed by tilting the seat back sllghtly and having a number 4 on top (hair brushing on the headlining was very annoying).

runt
26-09-09, 03:18 PM
Problem fixed by tilting the seat back sllghtly and having a number 4 on top (hair brushing on the headlining was very annoying).

A critical problem indeed.. the Runt could never tolerate this, also being 6'1" but with a long back, sitting in a Hawk 289 at a show once I immediately noticed the lack of room compared to the Dax.
These Hawk 289 are fabulous motors though, and if you want something enough.. anything is surmountable!

Paul/runt

doggio
01-10-09, 01:57 PM
How true! I also have to slouch a little (6'2") and try to angle the sun visor up a bit to protect from burning forehead... I may remove the runners but after a bit of maneouvering I seem to be reasonably comfortable for now.

In any case the RV8 is overheating now so got to sort that out plus some minor electrical issues. I see there are plenty of threads on Rovers cooking so I am confident of fixing it quickly!

Cheers, Giles.

runt
01-10-09, 03:07 PM
Hi Giles, yep I'm sure you'll sort it, when I had my Chimaera with 4.5 RV8 a 'mechanic' divulged the startling news that "The RV8 gets very hot in a glassfibre body..!"
Which caused this Runt to CRAWL UNDERNEATH ..a rare event.. and spy a fracture in the 'laying on its side' Rover rad.
Its noticable that the RV8, and Chev/ Ford small blocks sit in a Cob with room to spare, plenty of air flow round them , so if stat, fan, relay and switch are working correctly and coolant passage is not blocked, I disagree with the above, my Chim never ran too hot after that, and the DB Dax has never shown any sign of exceeding 90 deg c.

Sun visors.. I'd like larger ones, the Dax items are very small, are the Hawk ones more like conventional car size?

Paul/runt

doggio
01-10-09, 05:02 PM
Yes it will be a job for the weekend, starting I think with the thermostat as the car had stood for a while before I got my mitts on it.

Hawk visors aren't all that big - I'll measure them up and let you know.

runt
01-10-09, 07:32 PM
Thanks Giles

Paul

doggio
03-10-09, 05:59 PM
I've had the tape out on the sun visors and they aren't very big but the dimensions are:

35.5cm x 10.25cm with 22cm between the centres of the mounting brackets.

Cheers, Giles.

runt
03-10-09, 08:34 PM
Thanks Giles, I'll measure the Dax item.

Paul